Happy Days Question #17 ~ And in the end...

by Laurent Graff

Moderator: Liz

Lady Jill

Re: Happy Days Question #17 ~ And in the end...

Unread postby Lady Jill » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:36 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Here is your chance, Noodlemantras! Let's talk about the ending of the book. We do have one more question tomorrow...

What did you think of the ending?

What is your overall opinion of the book?

Peters Sellers last movie - Being There, clatters in my mind when I think of the ending of Happy Days. Although it feels like Antoine has changed in some ways, he ends up still questioning, still sitting on his beloved bench . .its' just the scenery has changed a bit, so yes, a full circle, back to where he started, but maybe richer for it deep inside, where we can't go..

I liked this little book. . .made me think a lot, question things. .and I surely enjoyed reading all your comments, going places where sometimes I would never think of going.
Lady Jill
" After we're gone, the only thing that matters is the love we left behind."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:57 am

Depputante wrote:
Parlez wrote:
Count me in for TPAOL, when you see me confounded and confused and in grave difficulty catching the point! :dunce:

Accord! :highfive: Me too, Parlez ! I'm really concerned about the next one. Don't think I'll have much input there. I don't know anything about Cheks, or European history, or this 'cult fiction' for lack of any better words. The only thing I know about Russia is about some of their food! But I will be reading and counting on other ONBC'ers to guide my way.

Parlez, thanks for your support! That means alot to me. :heart2:

I have finished reading TPAOL. Don't be afraid of it. It is beautifully written and pretty easy to understand -- geography etc . For me, it helped to read the Amazon.com synopsis and supplemental information in the book. It buffered the shock factor and explained a few things I might not have caught as easily. Just thought I would throw that in because I was hugely afraid of it, too, and I found out there was really nothing to be afraid of. I can hardly wait!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:43 am

nebraska wrote:
Depputante wrote:
Parlez wrote:
Count me in for TPAOL, when you see me confounded and confused and in grave difficulty catching the point! :dunce:

Accord! :highfive: Me too, Parlez ! I'm really concerned about the next one. Don't think I'll have much input there. I don't know anything about Cheks, or European history, or this 'cult fiction' for lack of any better words. The only thing I know about Russia is about some of their food! But I will be reading and counting on other ONBC'ers to guide my way.

Parlez, thanks for your support! That means alot to me. :heart2:

I have finished reading TPAOL. Don't be afraid of it. It is beautifully written and pretty easy to understand -- geography etc . For me, it helped to read the Amazon.com synopsis and supplemental information in the book. It buffered the shock factor and explained a few things I might not have caught as easily. Just thought I would throw that in because I was hugely afraid of it, too, and I found out there was really nothing to be afraid of. I can hardly wait!

Good to know. :chill: Thanks for the heads up, Nebraska.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 pm

I have read TPAOL, and it still scares me!! :fear:
But I can't wait for the discussion!

How the book and discussion of Happy Days has changed me is it's made me want to track down that guy I mentioned in the begining, who entered an ashram in the 60's and who I thought was just plain scared of life. I want to track that guy down now and tell him I have a better understanding of what he was trying to achieve back then.
:chill:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:50 pm

That will be interesting if you find him, Parlez. I have a friend that entered an ahsram in the 70's and left in the 90's. I have only talked to him briefly since then but after 20 years he decided it wasn't what he thought it would be. Not sure why it took 20 years...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Happy Days”