Happy Days Question #15 - Comedy or Drama?

by Laurent Graff

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:58 pm

I have had to think about this one a bit. I finally came to the conclusion that the book reads more like a drama, but in visual form it would have to be a comedy. Of course, there are some very sad moments, like the suicide, that would tone the craziness down a bit, but for the most part I think a movie version would be more comedy than drama.

As to the book club discussions, this is the only book club I have ever belonged to so I can't really compare it to anything. I do think the discussions here tend to be "deep", but some deeper than others and I think Happy Days has been exceptionally thought-provoking because of the subject matter (age and death, for instance). Because Johnny Depp is who he is -- because he has such a trememdous interest in our human condition, the workings of our minds and emotions, always studying in order to create meaningful characters -- and because he has a bright, curious, and open mind that is willing to explore new ideas -- he reads books that have substance to them. And because he attracts the fans he attracts (a group pat on the back here!) as I said a few days ago, we begin the discussions with a common heart, with sensitivity and curiosity and openness that I would expect of Johnny's fans but think would be unlikely to find in the population as a whole. I think that is a good thing. I have learned so much from all of you, and while I don't understand or remember every bit of what I read here, it has all served to help me become a more complete person.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Well said, nebraska! Johnny is definitely a student of the human mind and human condition. It is definitely relfected in his choice of reading matter!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:01 pm

DITHOT Said
gemini, I noticed you listed The Ballad of the Whiskey Robber as an upcoming discussion. While it has been optioned by Johnny's company we have not yet scheduled it for a discussion. However our next one will be The People's Act of Love, tidbits in January and discussion in February.

Sorry, I made myself a list of everything related to Johnny and checked off the ones you already discussed. I am reading one by one all the rest. (plus a few you have already discussed) Sorry if I jumped the gun on one. I must recommend it as a good one for discussion though. I am very content with the upcoming discussion of The People's Act of Love. I can see that one as a great discussion with this group.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:04 am

No worries, gemini. We are lucky to have so many book choices! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Happy Days”