Happy Days Question #14 - The Quotes

by Laurent Graff

Moderator: Liz

Lady Jill

Unread postby Lady Jill » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:06 pm

Parlez wrote:Yep, that would be me! :wave: Virgo, ruled by Mercury = Ms Mind Games Analysis!
It's always a surprise to see just what we're attached to in terms of feeling grounded, alive, connected, etc.,etc.. For me, one big thing is analyzing; it's a coping skill as well as a delicious pasttime for me. I can't imagine life without it. So, in the context of getting rid of 'me' that would have to go...which deppinately doesn't make me feel too serene!

There's an activity-game that they 'play' with would-be hospice volunteers that has you write down on separate pieces of paper everything and everyone that makes your life worthwhile...then, one by one, you get rid of every piece. You have to choose what to give up first, which is a chance to see where your priorities are...but ultimately, everything and everyone has to go. It's supposed to replicate dying and death, but when I did it I got quite hostile, thinking (!), "There must be something that comes IN to this scene - it can't be all loss and giving up what's known and valued and loved!"

Sure enough, in the Buddhist view (not only of dying and death but of everyday life) there are big payoffs to be had by doing pretty much the same exercise. When we take the time and spend the energy to step up (down) and at least take a look at what we're doing and why and for whom, we can alter our view and, on some level, see the 'big wide world'. It sounds easy, but it's not.
Just witness my penchant for analyzing these quotes!! :blush:

Parlez: I have enough Virgo in me to analyze everything for the rest of my life 24/7!! BALANCE , that is the key. .
Lady Jill

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:33 pm

Liz - good call on the connection between Antoine and the hospice training activity! I didn't get that until you mentioned it, and it feels right to me.

Yes, contempation/meditation is a form of analysis, in as far as analysis attempts to refine the mind. But the goal of meditation is less conclusive - there are no answers or final conclusions like you might reach in rigorous analysis. When you're meditating or contemplating (a la contemplative prayer), what comes up in the form of thoughts simply comes up - you have a look at them and then let them go. You accept whatever arises, without analyzing. We can't escape our thinking mind but we don't necessarily have to get hooked by it either. Hence the phrase, "Don't believe everything you think." Too often our thoughts are either scattered all over the place or they go round and round on the same track. Stopping to analyze why can be a wonderful tool for self-awareness. Hopping off the track altogether, and just 'watching' the mind, without judgements or analysis, is what's referred to as 'bringing the mind home' and letting it rest. Rather tricky, to say the least!
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:38 pm

Huzzar, Lady Jill!! Another Virgo detail freak! Thank goodness!
I hope you know Mercury is the ruler of both Virgo and Johnny's sign, Gemini. :love:

savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:59 pm

Parlez wrote: Too often our thoughts are either scattered all over the place or they go round and round on the same track.

Parlez, this happens to me much too often. :lol: :-/

I'm not an expert in meditation. So I'm glad you clarified the difference. I do want to understand this much better than I do.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:55 am

Betty Sue wrote:Hmmmm... Antoine became pretty good at contemplating nothingness on a regular basis, but, as some of us agreed yesterday, that's an activity we would like to use only as needed.
As for throwing away "me" and becoming the great wide world, I would interpret that to mean unselfishly thinking of others first and making the world a better place for everyone as much as one could. To me Antoine has thrown away "me" all right, but he doesn't seem to have become the great wide world. I think he's thrown that away, too. :eyebrow:
(I may be missing something because of my lack of knowledge of the contemplative life....... :-? )

Oh Dear, My mother and I were coming home late and had car trouble today. (fan belt broke and radiator overheated- :bawl: - I love cars) To make a long story short it was near midnight before I got home and I am just reading todays question.
I'll give it a try but its late and my brain is a little foggy. :zzz:

Well I was trying to get the meaning from these yesterday and BettySue pretty much has my point of view on this one. Also as Parlez says, I am a little too fond of me to handle giving myself up for humanity. I am not so sure Antionne is succeeding either. He may have reached nothingness but not selflessness. He has given up his life but I don't see the benefit for humanity.

Deppuntante the gardens are beautiful and relaxing but I am too far gone tonight :dunce: to find the 3 meaning in there. A little help please?

Parlez, Do you understand that much astrology? Always wondered why I never could make it work with my first love who I thought was a moody Virgo. ( no offense Virgos) Not that it had anything to do with my inconsistent contradictory Gemini traits. Where does Mercury fit in there?

Ok I'm rambling, so its off to bed for me.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:20 am

Parlez, I am but a humble Cancer. :-/ I wish I has some more dynamic sign.

Gemini, The meaning of the number 3. (Warning: This may be very off the wall, and weird concept for some of you! Take it or leave it as you like.)

I think 3 is also a prime number?
I don't know enough about Numerology either.

Johnny's birthdate is divisible by the #3., and his tattoo has the #3.

Then by coincidence:

Buddhism: The basic dogma of Buddhism is :
A triangle of 1) Truth 2) Goodness 3) Beauty
(of course there are cults which skew this idea as well.)
Three lifetimes to reach Nirvana.
Your lifetime, can be split up into growth, adulthood, senior years.
The garden:
See the path, along the river at the bottom, and the higher slope on the left. Well, you're walking along the middle of your life there.

See the Bridge. It's the second part of your life and you're transitioning from the first to the third part of your life there.

See the rectangular stones in the walking path , some are three hoizontal on purpose as well.

etc etc.. This is a Zen garden, so the visuals are sparce. In Traditional Chinese gardens, there are many, many more. Ideas like this (Mostly Taoism) incorporated.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 am

Gemini - I am an astrologer.
AND I was married to a Gemini! It didn't work out. duh! Mercury works differently in the two signs and one should not assume a harmonious marriage. A Gemini tends to enjoy information for the sake of gathering information, whilst a Virgo wants to analyize everything. Virgo's attention to detaill can drive a Gemini nuts; Gemini's
garbage-in, garbage-out approach can drive a Virgo nuts. What they have in common is a desire to communicate (Mercury), but how they communicate can be quite different.

Depputante - I have strong Cancer in my chart! And I wouldn't call Cancer humble either! Wise, maybe, and deppinately intuitive, but not humble. Moody, like the Moon.
Thank you for the sharing the wisdom of the 3. I'm a big fan of Zen gardens, as a meditation tool as well as because they're just plain beautiful to look at.

Liz - there are some wonderful books on meditation out there.
My favorites, for your consideration, include:
The Miracle of Mindfulness, by Thich Nhat Hahn
Taking the Path of Zen, by Robert Aitken
Mindfulness in Plain English, by V. Henepola Gunaratana
Plus: www.centeringprayer.com for a Christian approach to the subject.

Also, a great book on the subject we're sort of discussing here around Happy Days
- the issue of dying and death - is:
The Undiscovered Country, Exploring the Promise of Death, by Eknath Easwaran

savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks for the book recommendations, Parlez. :chill:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:04 pm

gemini, I hope you have your car troubles taken care of. There is nothing like that to bring you back to the real world in a hurry. :banghead:

depputante, thank you for the description of the garden. It really is a beautiful place!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:30 pm

Oh, and I just remembered another significance of 3 to add to Depputante's ~
our word "trivia" comes from the ancient 'tri-via', or 3rd way.
It's not This or That, Either-Or, Black or White, but a Third point of view...
which we've obviously come to dismiss as trivial, considering how we use the word now!

savvy avi by mamabear

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:25 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Is this somehow related to reincarnation and "oneness" with the universe, to put it in broad terms. I have way too much to learn about Eastern religion but it seems to me that the quote are giving up of the self to become one with whoever/whatever you believe the supreme state/being to be. Once you are able to rid yourself of your ego you have no worries and find yourself in a serene state where there is "nothing" to complicate your mind. Am I making up my own religion here? :lol:

depputante, the photos were beautiful!
:chill:

There is something to what you say here, DITHOT. And I don't think it is unique to Eastern religion, if we are understanding it correctly. I think this could apply to many religions. In the Christian religion the goal is to focus your life on the Lord, placing much less importance in things of the world or of the flesh.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:41 pm

Parlez wrote:Oh, and I just remembered another significance of 3 to add to Depputante's ~
our word "trivia" comes from the ancient 'tri-via', or 3rd way.
It's not This or That, Either-Or, Black or White, but a Third point of view...
which we've obviously come to dismiss as trivial, considering how we use the word now!

Parlez, what an interesting bit of trivia! ;-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:52 pm

Depputante wrote:Parlez, I am but a humble Cancer. :-/ I wish I has some more dynamic sign.

Gemini, The meaning of the number 3. (Warning: This may be very off the wall, and weird concept for some of you! Take it or leave it as you like.)

I think 3 is also a prime number?
I don't know enough about Numerology either.

Johnny's birthdate is divisible by the #3., and his tattoo has the #3.

Then by coincidence:

Buddhism: The basic dogma of Buddhism is :
A triangle of 1) Truth 2) Goodness 3) Beauty
(of course there are cults which skew this idea as well.)
Three lifetimes to reach Nirvana.
Your lifetime, can be split up into growth, adulthood, senior years.
The garden:
See the path, along the river at the bottom, and the higher slope on the left. Well, you're walking along the middle of your life there.

See the Bridge. It's the second part of your life and you're transitioning from the first to the third part of your life there.

See the rectangular stones in the walking path , some are three hoizontal on purpose as well.

etc etc.. This is a Zen garden, so the visuals are sparce. In Traditional Chinese gardens, there are many, many more. Ideas like this (Mostly Taoism) incorporated.

Ok Depuntante I am off to take another look at the Zen pictures and see what I find. Speaking of numerology , I know nothing but googled it and found these two lists for numbers meanings. Just looking at number 3 is interesting.
Definitions of the various digits vary widely among practitioners. Common examples include:
 0. Everything and nothing. The All
 1. Individual. Aggressor. Yang.
 2. Balance. Union. Receptive. Yin.
 3. Communication/interaction. Neutrality.
 4. Creation.
 5. Action.
 6. Reaction/flux. Responsibility.
 7. Thought/consciousness.
 8. Power/sacrifice.
 9. Completion.
 10. Rebirth.
Chinese number definitions
Cantonese frequently assign the following definitions, which may differ in other forms of Chinese:
1. - sure
2. - easy
3. - live
4. - - considered unlucky since the pronunciation of 4 ( sì } sounds like the word for death ( sǐ ).
5. - - the self, me, myself, nothing, never
6. - - easy and smooth
7. - - together
8. - - sudden fortune, prosperity
9. - - long in time
I still don't understand where each persons numbers are derived.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:19 pm

Parlez wrote:Gemini - I am an astrologer.
AND I was married to a Gemini! It didn't work out. duh! Mercury works differently in the two signs and one should not assume a harmonious marriage. A Gemini tends to enjoy information for the sake of gathering information, whilst a Virgo wants to analyize everything. Virgo's attention to detaill can drive a Gemini nuts; Gemini's
garbage-in, garbage-out approach can drive a Virgo nuts. What they have in common is a desire to communicate (Mercury), but how they communicate can be quite different.

Depputante - I have strong Cancer in my chart! And I wouldn't call Cancer humble either! Wise, maybe, and deppinately intuitive, but not humble. Moody, like the Moon.
Thank you for the sharing the wisdom of the 3. I'm a big fan of Zen gardens, as a meditation tool as well as because they're just plain beautiful to look at.

Off subject here but this astrology facinates me..

Actually when comparing your comments to my real life situations they make too much sense.
A Gemini tends to enjoy information for the sake of gathering information.
Boy is this a true description of me. I love history, books, Johnny, and spend all my time collecting all the information I can about them. I vary from obsessed about each fact, to lack of concentration, which is the Gemini in me. As for love, it is too bad our feelings can't go along with our knowledge and common sense on who we fall for.

Curious, How about Gemini's and Capricorns, Johnny and Vanessa?

Sort of on subject again.......What traits in Antionne match various astrology signs?

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:10 pm

Gemini, I will pm you with a reply later, ok?
I'm keen to explore your interest in astrology, but this thread
may not be the best place, savvy? Stay tuned!
:hug:

savvy avi by mamabear

Return to “Happy Days”