Happy Days Question #12 – Pretense or Vital Honesty?

by Laurent Graff

Moderator: Liz

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:27 pm

Liz wrote:
suec wrote: These people are thrown together by chance, in the sense that they chose to live at Happy Days, rather than choosing to live with each other. Social conventions are what make the communal spaces easier to share.

This is an insightful comment on human sociology. It's not something I normally think about, but it makes perfect sense--especially when it pertains to the residents at Happy Days. And I can see that going on at my dad's residence. In fact, I can see myself responding in that fashion when the time comes--to a degree.

We impose our own rules/guidelines to suit where we are, don't we. We all know we act differently in different places and with different people. Self preservation, the origin of manners?

To me the two quotes seem a contradiction. Am I being too simplistic to say that he either needs to see the residents as liarsor pretenders or not? He can't have both unless he has some revelation inbetween, which he didn't seem to at the point in the book.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

nebraska

Re: Happy Days Question #12 – Pretense or Vital Honesty?

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:00 pm

Liz wrote:[[

I agree that it could be all sarcasm there. But now that I’m thinking about it, from my own recent observations, some of the elderly are very keen on recognizing that they are old, losing their memories, etc. etc.—shedding those inhibitions, as Betty Sue has said. My dad used to be embarrassed by such things; but now he and his friends laugh about it. And I think that might fit into the implication of the quote on page 43. On the other hand, I see many of them taking pride in their appearance, decorum, etc., as onpage 63. And I think this makes them feel better about themselves—that they still have something to be proud of. That fits in with what Gemini has said.[/color][/b]

About the sarcasm, Liz, I was referring to the character Maxine when I used that term, she can really be brutal and cutting with her comments!

Being able to joke at one's age-related problems is a good thing, it is probably one of those Laugh or Cry choices we all have to make eventually.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:12 pm

More thought provoking ideas! :cool: I'm reserving my opinion for later in our discussion, closer to the end, but I'm really enjoying reading what you all have to say on this one. Depputante, that is a very interesting thought about the seven deadly sins. This book just gets deeper and deeper!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Happy Days”