It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:01 pm 

Quote:
And yet love always remains a temptation, the only one left in spite of so much disillusionment. Perhaps the salvation of humanity lies in this inextinguishable desire, this stubborn belief in love. The coldest, most sorely tired of souls still cherishes the hope of loving again.”

I say yes because in the past year have found love. the right kind of love. To get back what you put in is the most wonderful thing that can happen. But I also know alot of women who strive to find love but cant. They date & date men but its just not there. They want to believe in love but after so long of striving for it your faith tends to fade. I belong to a email group of about 25 women. Most have been single for years. I was in a long term relationship for 12 years. It ended & within months I find someone else. I ask myself why am I so lucky. I told the girls I feel bad talking about him to you. They said no we like hearing it because it gives us hope that we will find someone. :tear:

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:05 pm 

Liz wrote:
Depputante wrote:
Yes, I fiercely want to beleive this. However, love is very difficult.

Me too. Why is it difficult?

Its difficult because men & women think differenetly & its a constant guessing game of what the other one is talking about most of the time! :mort3: To share your life with someone is constant work & most of all you have to accept that person for who they are. Know when to just listen & know when to give them space to be who they are. If you can do that then I think your love will last forever.

Last edited by Veronica on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:09 pm 

Parlez wrote:
Depputante and Betty Sue ~ you guys bring up an excellent point, each in your own way.
When we think of 'love', and our ability to love and be loveable, we tend to think in terms of the physicality of it....are we/they attractive, alluring, desirable?
This is so ingrained in our culture that when we age and lose the physical attributes that made us attractive, alluring or desirable(think young, among other things) we tend to assume we are no longer loveable...and so it follows that we feel diminished at a very basic human level. This is something that causes a lot of depression and hopelessness amongst our elder population.
Romantic love is one thing, but it's not the only kind of love available to us. I'm not even sure it's the best kind of love available to us.
Thanks for making that distinction!

a friend of mine who is struggling with finding someone told me she cant wait for her son to have kids so she can have a grandchild. She said at least its someone to love & love her back. I almost burst into tears for her. :bawl:

Post subject: Re: Happy Days Question #11 - Love
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:44 am 
JDZ Web Designer

Liz wrote:
Pg. 58. “Could Bebel be jealous of the attention I pay Mireille? That’s how I win a real place in my companions’ hearts. Their friendship pleases me, but embarrasses me, bothers me. I want to be free of all ties, emotionally blank. And yet love always remains a temptation, the only one left in spite of so much disillusionment. Perhaps the salvation of humanity lies in this inextinguishable desire, this stubborn belief in love. The coldest, most sorely tired of souls still cherishes the hope of loving again.”

Is this true about love?

I have to agree. I think love is a necessary component of human existence. Even though in this context, Antoine was talking about romantic love, I think the statement extends far beyond that. A person can be very happy without romantic love. Love comes in many forms -- love of our creator, family, friends, even pets -- and all these forms give us our humanity.

Antoine couldn't escape that completely -- although all he wanted was to be an emotional blank, he couldn't escape being on the receiving end of friendship. I think it affected him to the point that he became involved with the residents, even though he thought he was emotionally detached.

If he was emotionally blank, why did he take the time to go look for Bebel when he didn't return to the home? Why did he watch the soap opera every day, and even take notes, so that he could explain the plot to the residents who didn't understand it?

Small things, a minimal amount of involvement -- but involvement, nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:16 am 
JDZ Moderator

theresa wrote:
Liz wrote:
Pg. 58. “Could Bebel be jealous of the attention I pay Mireille? That’s how I win a real place in my companions’ hearts. Their friendship pleases me, but embarrasses me, bothers me. I want to be free of all ties, emotionally blank. And yet love always remains a temptation, the only one left in spite of so much disillusionment. Perhaps the salvation of humanity lies in this inextinguishable desire, this stubborn belief in love. The coldest, most sorely tired of souls still cherishes the hope of loving again.”

Is this true about love?

I have to agree. I think love is a necessary component of human existence. Even though in this context, Antoine was talking about romantic love, I think the statement extends far beyond that. A person can be very happy without romantic love. Love comes in many forms -- love of our creator, family, friends, even pets -- and all these forms give us our humanity.

Antoine couldn't escape that completely -- although all he wanted was to be an emotional blank, he couldn't escape being on the receiving end of friendship. I think it affected him to the point that he became involved with the residents, even though he thought he was emotionally detached.

If he was emotionally blank, why did he take the time to go look for Bebel when he didn't return to the home? Why did he watch the soap opera every day, and even take notes, so that he could explain the plot to the residents who didn't understand it?

Small things, a minimal amount of involvement -- but involvement, nonetheless.

Good points, T. And it least he appears to recognize that he can't totally escape these human emotions, as the quote in question indicates.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:27 am 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
Just to lighten things up a bit....
I think sometimes you meet a true love :cloud9: in the wrong time in your life and things don't always work out as they do in the movies. :-?

How sad is that. :-/

gemini wrote:
I would really like to think that there is still a soul mate out there but am wondering what I will see in such and old dude?
:lol:

As I get older aging doesn't seem so bad.

V wrote:
It ended & within months I find someone else. I ask myself why am I so lucky. I told the girls I feel bad talking about him to you. They said no we like hearing it because it gives us hope that we will find someone.

What a wonderful thing for you, V. Thanks for giving us all hope. :heart2:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:21 pm 

gemini wrote:
I think sometimes you meet a true love :cloud9: in the wrong time in your life and things don't always work out as they do in the movies. :-?
I would really like to think that there is still a soul mate out there but am wondering what I will see in such and old dude?

:biglaugh:

Actually, you might be surprised. As I age my attractions age with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:41 pm 

nebraska wrote:
gemini wrote:

:biglaugh:

Actually, you might be surprised. As I age my attractions age with me.

I wholeheartedly agree Nebraska. I was just havin' a bit a fun.
Johnny is a perfect example. I love looking at baby Johnny because he is just so darn cute, not to mention beautiful. But, the Johnny of today is much sexier because of the person he has become as he aged. I have met men that have no looks at all but such a glowing personality that you dont notice.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:25 am 

Liz wrote:

Is this true about love?

Congratulations, Johnny, on your Golden Globe Nomination! :bounce:

Absolutely. It's always there. . .no matter how many you've been through, no matter how old you are. . .the hope is always there.

Lady Jill

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:05 am 

Absolutely. What else is there? Without love, there is existence. With it, there is life. And meaning. This quote is such a positive, hopeful one. It really lifted me. It is true for Antoine too, despite himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:58 pm 

Hi, all! It's good to be back and I'm trying to get caught up on all I have missed while away. Very interesting thoughts!

When I first read the quote I thought of romantic love but reading through this thread I think it also means love of your fellow man and being loved in return. As Antoine says it is the one emotion that remains as a temptation to him that he can't extinguish. If that is true for mankind, maybe there is hope!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2