Happy Days Question #8 ~ Sittin' on a Bench

by Laurent Graff

Moderator: Liz

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:18 pm

nebraska: There are times when words have their limitations and this is one of them, for me. But what a dreadful thing to have happen for your daughter.
To come to the comment about witnessing, I think it is important to bear witness, and not just at the time of passing, but also in the rites that follow.
Liz, I think you are right about the bench moments standing out in our memories. I once took off to Italy on the spur of the moment. I stayed on Lake Garda and spent 10 days sitting on benches, pretty much, staring at the stunning views and contemplating. It wasn't a fun holiday. In fact, it wasn't a holiday at all. More like a withdrawal for a time. While I was there, I got on with some healing, which I needed. When I returned home, I was able to connect with the old me that had been missing for a while.
When I think of benches here at home, I think of those I so often see in parks, woods and on hills that have dedications on them: In Loving Memory of X, Who So Loved This Spot, etc. They are epitaphs in their own right. I sit and gaze at the views and think of the person who was there before me. I don't watch people on benches. The gaze is much more an inner one. But the place that I find especially spiritual is in the sea. I love to go swimming and float in it - but not in British waters. They are far too cold for me. Whenever I go somewhere warm, I like to swim out and gaze at the shore and the sky and I get a whole different perspective. I guess that I too feel at those times that I am detached from reality. I feel in a way that it is a kind of purification for me, washing away the detritus from my life and emerging out of the water renewed.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “Happy Days”