Happy Days Question #7 ~

by Laurent Graff

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Happy Days Question #7 ~

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:56 am

Another easy one today... ;-)

Pg. 87 “One always leaves behind the unsolved “mystery of life,” without ever coming up with a satisfying or even encouraging justification for having lived, aside from the perpetuation of both the species and the aforementioned mystery. A faint and cruel consolation. We must resign ourselves, for want of something better, and in the hope that a hypothetical messiah will appear among us to enlighten us with luminous words. But wherever could this messiah come from?”

Would you agree or disagree?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:02 pm

Hmmm, I really am not the one to touch this one...but I'll give my personal perspective...

...I keep hearing the "end times" are here, repent, yadda, yadda. The signs are everywhere...it will be in our lifetime..God will return to earth....I'm in deep doo doo if that is true...and how will we recognize this person, when others will call him the anti-christ. One person's God is the next person's anti-christ or fake.

I really liked that reference DITHOT made to the wheels of the spoke radiating from one God....but, even if the messiah popped out of the center hub...there will be those that will not call him theirs.

I prefer to push it aside, and "try to do no harm" each day. I'm hoping that somehwere in my lineage (children, children's children)...will explain my existence...(cure for cancer, etc.). It sure isn't gonna be me, the way my life is plodding along.

Depputante

Re: Happy Days Question #7 ~

Unread postby Depputante » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:54 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Another easy one today... ;-)

Pg. 87 “One always leaves behind the unsolved “mystery of life,” without ever coming up with a satisfying or even encouraging justification for having lived, aside from the perpetuation of both the species and the aforementioned mystery. A faint and cruel consolation. We must resign ourselves, for want of something better, and in the hope that a hypothetical messiah will appear among us to enlighten us with luminous words. But wherever could this messiah come from?”

So he thinks leaving behind the 'mystery of life' without any justification is cruel. He is also dissapointed that we can only hope for some messiah to come and tell us the answers.

Ok, yes, I agree. We are just human afterall ! He has incredibly high expectations from humans.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:12 pm

Isn't this the eternal question "What is the meaning of life?"

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:27 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Isn't this the eternal question "What is the meaning of life?"

It is, and again I will put the case for the anti-religionists. Why should it have a meaning? Why should there be a light at the end of the tunnel? Why should it be anything more than the tricks allowing the successful and selfish continuation of a genetic self replicating molecule? How arrogant we are, as a species, to think that if there is a god, we would be in its image!

This doesn't, however, mean that we should be amoral. One of the justifications of God is the moral code that a god imposes, but some of us believe that moral code comes from within. Now whether it comes from some sort of spirituality or from some sort of mechanism for maintaining the lineage of one's DNA is up to the individual, but the result is the same.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:38 pm

This one's suppose to be EASY??? Yikes!

I think there's a paradox here, where we want to (and are mentally
capable of) imagining, visioning, buying into a higher level of being and purpose and morality...and then there's a part that says we're just here to do our thing and go on. If we are looking for justification, we can find it in religion, either in established traditions or by making up our own.

Personally, I buy into the idea that some humans are more evolved than others, and I've spent a fair amount of time looking into those guys' lives and trying to understand their philosophies.
Maybe I think they have THE answer - yes, that's more than a
'maybe' - I DO think they have, if not THE answer, at least some insights I might be able to apply to my own life that will give me an overall sense of why I'm here. I have a desire to travel a path that makes my life meaningful to me. I need guides for that.

But that's just me. :clown:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:57 pm

Well, I can't justify my life by perpetuating the species, as my children are adopted, but I am comfortable with feeling that I have planted little seeds of positive feelings and encouragement into people who needed those seeds. It's not important to me that they recognize this, but it's a need of mine to do this. So I feel my life has been worth living, and I don't agree with Antoine because I feel most people are like me and have plenty to offer that justifies their time on earth! Don't know if there will be a messiah or where he/she will come from, but I sure hope so!! :cloud9:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:14 pm

Betty Sue wrote:Well, I can't justify my life by perpetuating the species, as my children are adopted, but I am comfortable with feeling that I have planted little seeds of positive feelings and encouragement into people who needed those seeds. It's not important to me that they recognize this, but it's a need of mine to do this. So I feel my life has been worth living, and I don't agree with Antoine because I feel most people are like me and have plenty to offer that justifies their time on earth! Don't know if there will be a messiah or where he/she will come from, but I sure hope so!! :cloud9:

I don’t think we have to reproduce to make a difference in this world. I believe that there are no accidents and that everything happens for a reason. Thus we have a purpose and meaning to our lives. Sometimes we get a glimpse of that—or part of it—while on earth. In fact, if we’ve been around long enough we can see more than one purpose for our being. I hope that if the mystery is not solved for each of us in our own minds while on earth that it will be made known to us in the afterlife.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:31 pm

Another easy one today ;-) I see why you put a wink beside that line.
Would you agree or disagree? :-? I guess a yes or no here might make it easy. However it is really not a yes or no question.
“One always leaves behind the unsolved “mystery of life,” without ever coming up with a satisfying or even encouraging justification for having lived, aside from the perpetuation of both the species and the aforementioned mystery. A faint and cruel consolation. We must resign ourselves, for want of something better, and in the hope that a hypothetical messiah will appear among us to enlighten us with luminous words. But wherever could this messiah come from?”

Remember Houdini made a pact with his wife that if he could, he would return and make contact with her from the other side. He was trying to be practical about the after life. I think it is not something that is practical. It is only a faith thing, you either have it or you don't. That means,to a point, I agree with Antionnes statement. The mystery may not be answered during our lifetime.

I do rather like the " satisfying or encouranging justification for having lived" even though I agree it may not necessariy be in perpetuation of the species. It is in a little of what Charlene says in "try to do no harm" each day. How about , Do unto others? I think the point I am trying to make is, even if we don't have the answer to the big question , we should live life to the fullest making the world better for ourselves and others as long as we are here. We really don't need a reward for doing so, it should be rewarding in itself.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:22 pm

I agree with that, gemini. I suppose it is our nature to look for positive reinforcement and a pat on the back so we are looking for a reward for our good behavior, even our existence. I used to think that one day my purpose or reason for trodding the earth would be revealed to me. I was always expecting a sort of lightning bolt moment. Then one day it occured to me that might not, in fact probably would not, ever happen. I may never know but I do want to feel I made a positive difference with my time here.

I do feel we can learn from other individuals that have spent their time studying religion, philosophy, and the thinkers that have gone before us. I'm not sure I'm ready to accept one person's ideas in that regard, I'm more into the wagon wheel approach I mentioned earlier.

Great thoughts on this question so far!!!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:11 pm

A couple of quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson come to mind in response to this question.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

and

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

As you (and others) have commented, DitHoT - we all want to think that we have made a difference though we may not know what that difference is while we are here. I believe that we all have a purpose here on this earth and we may or may not know what that purpose is before our days are through, but to live well and treat others with kindness, caring, compassion and understanding can Never be the wrong way to go.

Just my very humble opinion.
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:24 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Another easy one today... ;-)

A faint & cruel consolation

I think you have to find your own meaning to your life. You can sit & complain about this & that but its how you view others & whats going on around you that gives you quality & purpose. If you feel you dont have purpose on this planet then you are so so wrong!!! we all have a purpose whether it was only 5 seconds in your life time that you touched another human being. If you hadnt done whatever at that certain moment then what follows would not have happened. (If Im making any sense here I know what I want to say)

The question is: Is there something better after we die? Is there a messiah? Well I guess we will never know for sure until our time comes. I think we could get into some deep debates in that conversation so I will leave it at that. All I know for sure is that I wouldnt be who I am. Things in my life wouldnt be where they are without the faith I have. If it all turns out to be a fable then so be it. I like my life just the way it is. :cool:
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:27 pm

Charlene wrote:Hmmm, I really am not the one to touch this one...but I'll give my personal perspective...

...I keep hearing the "end times" are here, repent, yadda, yadda. The signs are everywhere...it will be in our lifetime..God will return to earth....I'm in deep doo doo if that is true...and how will we recognize this person, when others will call him the anti-christ. One person's God is the next person's anti-christ or fake.

I really liked that reference DITHOT made to the wheels of the spoke radiating from one God....but, even if the messiah popped out of the center hub...there will be those that will not call him theirs.

I prefer to push it aside, and "try to do no harm" each day. I'm hoping that somehwere in my lineage (children, children's children)...will explain my existence...(cure for cancer, etc.). It sure isn't gonna be me, the way my life is plodding along.

Charlene!!!!!!!! I know that when your time comes you will be so close to the throne that I will need a bull horn to say hello!!!
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:37 pm

Veronica wrote:
If you feel you dont have purpose on this planet then you are so so wrong!!! we all have a purpose whether it was only 5 seconds in your life time that you touched another human being. If you hadnt done whatever at that certain moment then what follows would not have happened. (If Im making any sense here I know what I want to say)

V, you are making sense to me because that's exactly the way I look at it. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:52 pm

Liz wrote:
Veronica wrote:
If you feel you dont have purpose on this planet then you are so so wrong!!! we all have a purpose whether it was only 5 seconds in your life time that you touched another human being. If you hadnt done whatever at that certain moment then what follows would not have happened. (If Im making any sense here I know what I want to say)

V, you are making sense to me because that's exactly the way I look at it. :cool:

And that's what It's a Wonderful Life with James Stewart is all about and why zillions of people watch it and get inspired every year. And now there's a It's a Wonderful Life for Kids book I just picked up for my grandson.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Return to “Happy Days”