Happy Days Question #2 ~ Why this book?

by Laurent Graff

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Happy Days Question #2 ~ Why this book?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:23 am

What attracted Johnny to this book?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:37 am

Perhaps he thought he could get under Antoine's skin. Johnny is an observer of human nature, not unlike Antoine. I think he has even stated once that old people fascinate him.Another outsider character also. I'm sure he will bring something unique to the role whatever.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:48 am

Since Johnny seems have a great curiosity in what makes people tick, this is the passage that stood out for me.

Pg. 72
This mortifying cynicism is not as end in itself, but a necessary evil in my attempt to fathom what lurks behind our miserable human condition, an anesthesia that allows me to perform open-heart surgery on man and rummage through his guts. Searching for the human in humankind.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:08 am

Yes, this is another Johnny character who exists on the fringes of society. Johnny is so attuned to these people and undoubtedly could portray him with great empathy. Most of us seem to be having a hard time understanding just why Antoine has chosen this unique life. Johnny could probably leave us with a much better understanding of this... So I think Johnny chose this book out of his interest in understanding and accepting all sorts of people.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:16 am

I was wondering about this as I read the book. I'm not sure why it was chosen, I agree with Betty Sue, Johnny will probably give us a greater understanding of Antoine. I am sure that somehow he will make Antoine more human for me.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:17 am

I agree with all of you. Antoine is definitely an outsider--a unique character. And if anyone can make him more understandable to me it would be Johnny.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:31 am

If he plays Antoine, maybe we will get some insights. :hope:

Wow! What a ride!

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:50 am

More than just being attracted to what makes people tick, I think Johnny is attracted to why some people appear broken or damaged by society’s definition and whether that is a fair measure of anyone’s life.

Antoine could not experience the emotional epiphanies most people have in life… from love, friendship or the birth of a child. Without being able to find the transforming power of those events, I personally saw him as lost… and damaged, at least by most people’s definition of happiness. I think that Antoine stalked death in hopes that by examining it more closely it would “reveal” him, but I don’t necessarily think that HE saw himself as unhappy.

I also think that we own our own definition of happiness in life…. whether it is sitting on a bench, recreating a moment in time 50 years ago, owning a race car that you will never be able to race or even obliterating yourself with alcohol. If that’s what makes you “happy,” what right does anyone else have to want to change that? Happy Days was really a socially acceptable totalitarian society.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Boo-Radley

Re: Happy Days Question #2 ~ Why this book?

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:18 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:What attracted Johnny to this book?

I think Johnny identified on some level with Antoine. I remember that he once said in and interview, that he felt like a failure as a kid because he was afraid to choose what he wanted in life, until he found music. Antoine it seems is also afraid to choose, afraid to fail, afraid to lose...afraid to try. While Johnny out grew his fear, Antoine seems to be stuck and unable to move forward. He doesn't want to die (at least not before his time), but he doesn't want to live either. That dilemma probably fascinated Johnny.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:33 pm

dharma_bum wrote: but I don’t necessarily think that HE saw himself as unhappy.

I also think that we own our own definition of happiness in life…. whether it is sitting on a bench, recreating a moment in time 50 years ago, owning a race car that you will never be able to race or even obliterating yourself with alcohol. If that’s what makes you “happy,” what right does anyone else have to want to change that?

I can't argue with that. :chill:

And Boobaba, you bring up some good points, also.
:cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:34 pm

Antoine is such a strange guy, sweet but weird. Johnny is attracted to the different and weird. A perfect match.
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:02 pm

I was thinking that it's to do with the stillness of the character. Johnny is so good at that sort of role, the roles where he just sits and watches.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Yes, Endora, and Johnny's subtle reactions to what he sees
happening around him make the all the difference! I can see the
raised eyebrow, the shift of the eyes, the slight smile, the small
frown... He doesn't need to say anything ~ it's all there in his
face.
Thanks for that quote, D-T. The amour of cynicism...interesting
theme there...
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:57 pm

A few thoughts occur to me. One is Johnny's favourite word, why. Why would a character act in this way - and why should he not? He has challenged the concept of normality in the past, which is something that Antoine does. Personally, I feel that Antoine is wasting his life, but that is a value judgement that I am making. Perhaps he might enjoy exploring that. Maybe, he is in some way interested in the idea of someone who elects to live "far from the madding crowd". That is something he could relate to, and has talked about at times - though obviously, not taking it to such extremes! I'm thinking of him talking about going to live on the island.
I like the contrast between Antoine's image of floating on the surface of life. Johnny also used a similar image in the letter to Hunter where he wrote about not sticking to the shallows, but pushing out to the wilder waters. In this sense, they are opposites. In another way, they are similar, both very conscious that death is certain. They just deal with it in different ways.
I also think the humour would appeal to him, especially the scatalogical stuff, though maybe not to the extent of persuading him!
And perhaps it is the outsider theme again: someone who is regarded as an "idiot" and is refered to as the "gardener" because the true explanation is so much more difficult.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:06 pm

What attracted Johnny to this book?

I started to slip into this yesterday talking about Antionne and what he had in common with Johnny. I am always getting ahead of myself because I knew this discussion would be coming. I said that Johnny has an old soul, a lot of his friends are in his parent's generation and he has interest that are of times in an age before he was born. Add to this his tendency to like offbeat strange characters and he is made for Antionne.

Johnny makes even the most offensive characters likeable and I think he must find something in Antionne that he likes to want to bring him to life. The only part of Antionne that differs so much from Johnny that he may find difficult is playing so dispassionate towards his children as this is so against his nature.

Another thing that comes to mind in answering this question is a statement Johnny made in an interview. When asked who he admired growing up, he named several and then said " they are mostly all dead guys."
Last edited by gemini on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Happy Days”