Sweeney Todd Week Question #3 - Final Question

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:42 am

e_phemera wrote:
Parlez wrote:I'm not sure what he means by the first quote, about the score and how things stay in his ears and become odd devices...? It sort of sounds to me like he's plugged himself into a few 'things' over the years, but I won't venture to guess what they might be, or to argue with his point of view! :-)

What do you think now, Parlez? (approaching it from what I said in the earlier post)

Sorry, e_phemera, I just checked in here (after some serious gandering in :japan: ) and saw your question for me. In answer, I thought Johnny was talking more about the musical sounds that come into his ears, not about the sounds he makes (or has made) that come into ours. I'm no musicologist, so I can only express a fleeting thought about how certain sounds, or combinations of sounds, do tend to set up psychological or emotional responses in the brain which can't be easily identified (as in labeled) but linger there nonetheless. I still don't know what he means by those things being 'odd devices'...whether he's talking about the composer who intentionally mixes sounds together to get a certain response from the listener, or if he's talking about something more intangible...more...ephemeral. :-)

Anyway, it's great to have you aboard ONBC! Thanks so much for your insights - :cool:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Here I am, a little late to the party -- it took me a long time to have my first Sweeney Todd viewing.

I just wanted to say that I thought the movie version of ST had a lot of advantages over the Broadway musical. I must admit to having seen the stage play only on DVD, perhaps the live experience was much different. But the movie had a huge advantage in the scenery and costuming areas. With the barber shop on the second floor of the pie shop, Broadway had to use a sort of caricature scenery set up, while the movie had marvelous brick and sense of "real" scenery. Filming over a period of weeks also meant hair, makeup, and especially costumes had more flexibility. And then there is the firey furnace -- no way a stage play could portray that part with the realism of the movie. Perhaps that was the real difference, the stage play tells the story and gets the point across but without the gritty realism, so the tone is lighter.

As to Johnny's singing style, I can see why it has been described as acting first and singing second. Johnny's singing voice is filled with emotion and passion and there are no extraneous bits of showing off.....it was very visceral. I have been listening to the sound track in my car, the more I listen to his style, the more I enjoy it.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:07 pm

"visceral"...excellent description, nebraska. I think it defines his singing as well as his acting in this role. Glad to see you at the party! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”