Sweeney Todd - The Broadway Play - WOW!

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Sweeney Todd - The Broadway Play - WOW!

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:56 pm

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to be able to see what was probably the best stage play I’ve ever seen in my life…….
Sweeney Todd. :sweeneyblue:

This Broadway production of Sweeney Todd, which has been on tour this past year across the US, won the Drama League, Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards for Best Revival of a Musical and was awarded a Special Citation by the New York Drama Critics Circle. In 2006 director John Doyle won a Tony for Best Direction of a Musical and Sarah Travis won for Best Orchestration. These two, along with many of the original cast, have gone on tour this year and will continue through 2008. Sweeney was played by the standby, David Garry, yesterday. But he was wonderful!

Here is a link to the cast:

http://www.sweeneytoddtour.com/cast.htm

The cast was incredible. The set decoration, lighting, sound, singing and orchestration was absolutely perfect. The whole thing was put together so well. The set and costumes were minimalist, but at the same time made a huge statement. The cast played it’s own musical instruments, which amazingly added to the production instead of distracting from it. The transitions between their musical instruments and their individual numbers were incredibly smooth.

Luvdepp (who attended it with me) and I both could so see Johnny in this role. :sweeneydepp: I just can’t wait! :omg: I would strongly recommend that you see it if it comes to your neck of the woods. Here is the tour schedule:

http://http://www.sweeneytoddtour.com/route.htm

Sweeney, Mrs. Lovett, Pirelli & Tobias, sitting (original cast)

Entire Original Cast

The Stage After The Show Yesterday
Last edited by Liz on Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:38 pm

I notice the fellow David Garry who was the standby for Sweeney Todd, was also the standby for Judge Turpin, and The Beadle. He must be very talented to stay up on all three parts . Somehow I dont see Sweeney as bald though, but I will take your word on the fact that he was very good. I was wondering since we saw so many versions of Sweeney in our book discussions, which version of the story is the play?
Great photos, Liz. Thanks
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:06 pm

I think this is still the Sondheim version, is that right, Liz? Minimalist seems to be the staging preference for this version. Didn't we read that Tim went minimalist as well with his sets? Interesting that so much of the Broadway cast has stayed with the tour! Dang...I wish it hit my neck of the woods before next summer! Thanks for the review, Liz! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:21 pm

Gemini, it is definitely the Sondheim version--the same music, lyrics and story. Initially bald did not seem right to me, either, but it worked in this production. I'm glad Tim did not see Sweeney as bald. :yikes:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:15 pm

Thanks for the great report and pics, Liz! What fun! I can't imagine the talent on stage, with performers who can do it all ~ sing, act, and play a musical instrument! Wow!! The sets look fantastic too!
Thanks again ~ I'm glad you got to go! :cool:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:16 pm

This looks amazing, Liz. How very cool that you and luvdepp were able to get a "preview", so to speak. Doesn't look like this production will be headed my way though... :-/

Thanks for the info and the pictures.
:cool:
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm sorry it's not headed your way, Rainbowsoul. :-/

I APOLOGIZE to all for the crazy links. They are acting very weird for me. I can only seem to get one to work, and the first one seems to switch between cast and tour. So just get into one and then click on the other link once you get on the site. And maybe it's just my weird computer. It's been acting up all day. Kinda scary. :freaked: If you don't see me for a while, you'll know why.

part-time poet

Unread postby part-time poet » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:51 pm

Thanks for sharing your theater experience, Liz. Sounds fantastic.

I join you in giving thanks :pray: that Tim did not envision Sweeney as bald. I'm sure Johnny would give a great performance either way, but I love wild-haired, wild-eyed Sweeney. :sweeneydepp:

Sending good thoughts for you and your computer . . . I hope it's just momentary weirdness or something with your ISP.

:sweeneyrazor:

Part-Time Poet
Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.
-- J. M. Barrie

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:03 pm

You have given it high praise indeed, Liz! I am glad you enjoyed it. You have really whetted my appetite for the film! :cool:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:09 pm

I was lucky enough to be able to share a day in San Francisco and see Sweeney Todd with Liz. What a treat to spend the day with Liz AND get to see Sweeney Todd! I agree with everything she's said about the production. It really was fantastic. Very gothic feeling and minimilistic. It had a very Tim Burton feel to it. :cool: The bald Sweeney was a little disconcerting at first, but the actor was fantastic and it worked. I too, am glad that Tim didn't visualize him bald though! :capnjack:

I was already looking forward to the movie, but this has really made me excited for it! :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

HeidiGrant40

Unread postby HeidiGrant40 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:43 pm

I think this is a whole new cast. The reviews said they are in previews in SF, I know that Sweeny, Mrs Lovette and the judge are new. It's the same Doyle adaptation that won those awards, but not this production of it. The reviews said SF is the first city in the nation wide tour.

thanks for the great review Liz, I wish it was coming close to us. :banghead:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:32 pm

During our book discussion I saw several versions of ST, but I didn't get to see this one with the instruments.........although I remember reading about it. Does anyone know if there is a video version available? I didn't check the schedule yet, but I can almost bet Omaha and Lincoln aren't on it. :-/

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:30 pm

nebraska, here is a site that has a couple of clips from the Broadway version with Michael Cerveris (Sweeney), Patti LuPone (Mrs. Lovett) and Manoel Felciano asTobias. To my knowledge the entire production has not been released on dvd.

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Show.aspx?si=513979#
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:50 pm

Nebraska, I am not aware of a video of this version. I’m wondering if that will come when the tour is completed. Oh, I see now that DITHOT was responding the same time as I. Thanks for the link to the clip, DITHOT. So I had to stop my post and watch it. So that changes some of what I was going to say. That was really fun to watch that....especially to see Lauren Molina (Johanna), Benjamin Magnuson (Anthony) and Diana DiMarzio (Beggar Woman) being interviewed. All 3 were in the play on Saturday. And I think this clip of the performance gives you a good idea as to what it was like. The stage was exactly the same.

HeidiGrant40, it appears that some of the Broadway cast changed in 2006. All of the reviews I’ve seen, along with my program, indicate that many of the cast members from the Broadway play are in this production (3 of them mentioned above were in the original). I get conflicting information on the actors who play Mrs. Lovett and Sweeney, though.

I’m sorry that it is not playing in more places. I wonder if they will add more shows.

HeidiGrant40

Unread postby HeidiGrant40 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:48 pm

thanks Liz, I saw the original cast, w/ Michael Cerveris and Patti LuPone. Mr Hess was the Sweeney understudy. Keith Butterbaugh is new as Judge Turpin. This national tour has not been around before though, it is new out of San Francisco.

thanks for the review, I hope lots of Zoners get to see it on the tour. :bounce:

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”