Sweeney Todd Question #27 ~ Man or Myth?

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:23 pm

I think there is a grain of truth in the story somewhere.....like a grain of sand that forms an oyster's pearl, maybe the finished product has little resemblance to the beginning truth. Just look at how many variations we have discussed here! Sweeney Todd is not just one story but a group of tales -- the Pitt version and the Sondheim version, for instance, are quite different from each other. How much of it all is based on fact is probably impossible to tell now.

Thanks to our fearless leaders and all the participants for this discussion. I have learned a lot (maybe more than I really wanted to know :freaked: ) and I have a better understanding of why Tim and Johnny want to do this story. I still wish they had selected something -- anything -- else. But this is how it will be, so onward, forward!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:17 am

Well, Nebraska, I can think of better choices myself, BUT (and that is a big but) I trust Johnny's judgment and am looking forward to it. And, I actually enjoyed learning about Sweeney Todd. Again it's something I never would have delved into on my own but have found it to be quite interesting. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:36 am

Liz wrote:Well, Nebraska, I can think of better choices myself, BUT (and that is a big but) I trust Johnny's judgment and am looking forward to it. And, I actually enjoyed learning about Sweeney Todd. Again it's something I never would have delved into on my own but have found it to be quite interesting. :cool:

I agree, interesting discussion, lots of fascinating historical information, fun to see how one basic story can be interpreted so many different ways, and even more fun trying to come up with our own ideas for the next production ......good stuff!

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:31 pm

Well, I just want to thank you DITHOTbaba and Lizbaba for another fun and informative discussion. ST is as a musical I knew of, but had never taken the time to investigate, so this has been very illuminating for me. Because I knew of ST, I was very excited to when we heard that Tim and Johnny are going to tackle a production of the story, and now that we have discussed it, I'm even more excited; I can hardly wait to see what they come up with. :giddy:

To answer your question DITHOTbaba, I have to say that I believe that Sweeney probably did exist in some way. Like Linda B., I don't believe serial killers are a wholly modern invention. That in the time that Sweeney most likely lived, the circumstances of extreme poverty combined with societal apathy, could and probably did breed a socio-path like Todd is to my mind very likely.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:08 pm

Boo, I was like you were as far as my knowledge of Sweeney Todd before the discussion. I really learned a lot too!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”