Sweeney Todd Question #26 ~ The Burton/Depp Version

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Sweeney Todd Question #26 ~ The Burton/Depp Version

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:22 am

What do you think Tim Burton and Johnny Depp will bring to this story that will make it stand out from previous versions?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:06 pm

Color perhaps.
(Beetlejeuce comes to my mind again, as well as Corpse Bride and Sleepy Hollow, and even From Hell.)

And alot of Deppth styled Black humor rather than the light hearted humor.

More ... mwahahaaaa's. :mwahaha:
They could turn it into quite a scary show. Will it be out in theatres for Halloween perhaps? :gollum: Come to think of it, it might even end up being a slasher picture if those two have alot of fun with it ! :freaked: Funny thing the imagination. The thought of Psycho comes to mind.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:28 pm

Oh wouldn’t that be fun for it to be released Halloween week. :bounce:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:02 pm

Obviously I am not the only one having trouble answering this question! :-?

I think "color" is a good answer. When I think of Burton I think of lots of blues and haze and smokey swirling color.

I think there will be Deppth of character....I am not sure how they will achieve this, but Johnny is famous for giving a character lots of dimension with a glance or a smile or a raise of the eyebrow.

I think the exciting thing about this production is that Tim and Johnny are masters of the unique, the new, the visionary.....and so for us to even speculate is probably foolish.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:08 pm

My first thought was that Burton and Depp would make this darker, but again all of Tim's movies may have a dark side, they also have a sweet sensitive side. Tim cannot seem to keep really how sweet he is to himself, it leaks out eventually.
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:13 pm

nebraska wrote:Obviously I am not the only one having trouble answering this question! :-?

I think "color" is a good answer. When I think of Burton I think of lots of blues and haze and smokey swirling color.

I think there will be Deppth of character....I am not sure how they will achieve this, but Johnny is famous for giving a character lots of dimension with a glance or a smile or a raise of the eyebrow.

I think the exciting thing about this production is that Tim and Johnny are masters of the unique, the new, the visionary.....and so for us to even speculate is probably foolish.

I can't answer this question either, Nebraska. :lol: I agree with you that Tim and Johnny are masters of the unique; and with so many versions of this story with a little twist (or maybe big twist) from them, who knows?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:04 am

Raven wrote:My first thought was that Burton and Depp would make this darker, but again all of Tim's movies may have a dark side, they also have a sweet sensitive side. Tim cannot seem to keep really how sweet he is to himself, it leaks out eventually.

I agree with you Raven, despite my first comments.
However, I would not like Tim to emphasize the Johanna or Mrs. Lovett threads to the deficit of the Sweeny one. I'd rather he focus on Sweeny only.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:44 am

Somehow I missed today's question.

What do you think Tim Burton and Johnny Depp will bring to this story that will make it stand out from previous versions?

I am going to look at this in a different way. More film verses play than plot changes. DITHOT I think I am bending the guide lines of the question a bit. "Wonder where I got that idea"?

For one thing, Tim will have hands down the best-looking Sweeney ever. Johnny will add the facial expressions that will convey some personality into Sweeney that is hard to get in the over exaggerated stage acting. Since the camera is up close and personal they wont have to be flamboyant but subtle looks and expressions can show far more range. Not having to shout the dialog will make it more realistic. Even the songs can be more realistic if they don't have to be projected to a stage audience.

Also, they will have more range if they want to show characters at different ages in their life. The horror will be a lot more realistic. Since there are no stage limitations, the settings can be made to look realistic. The background should be spectacular whether in their shops or the streets of old London.
Thinking about it , I cheated and changed the question to what advantages Tim and Johnny have over the play versions.
Last edited by gemini on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:20 am

I doubt colour will have much part to play if they are going for some semblence of authenticity, maybe not the graininess of The Libertine but maybe the washed out colour of Sleepy Hollow. Although most of the film will no doubt take place inside so I expect lots of low candle light. I think it will depend how Tim films it what he keeps in or adds to the story.

I think Gemini makes a good point about the singing not having to be prejected like on a stage this may help Johnny and be to his advantage :cool:

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:12 am

It will be interesting to see how many of the melodrama cliches they include or drop. Personally I'd like to see them avoid all fog and mist, all scenes where I might be tempted to cry out "behind you!", and, dare I say, avoid the appearance of a horse and carriage to set the scene in the first two minutes, a common curse of period drama. But I'd like them to include a strong (as in non-victim) female character, and either make ST extremely physically beautiful (not hard really given the basic material Tim has to work with!) or indescribably ugly (unrecognisable)
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:35 am

You're good :capnjack: gemini!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:53 pm

It's really interesting that we can have so many different ideas out there!

I've been thinking about my 'slasher pic' comment, and although Johnny and Tim could take it in that direction, I am also thinking that Johnny's pattern of making us feel compassion for Sweeny will prevail.

Gemini and Endora,,, you both never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of Literature and Theater! :cool:

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:44 pm

I vote for a beautiful Sweeney, to contrast with the evilness of his actions, a strong Mrs L, atmmospheric but not clichaic..[ I hear what you say about carriages, Endora, :disco: but I have good memories of Johnny and carriages :capnjack: ] and some sort of redemption for Sweeney. :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:01 am

I am hoping for darkness rather than bright colour, but I think maybe he will put both in for the contrast. Lots of gothic features and German Expressionism. I definitely think the latter will be there. And lots of sly - and not so sly - humour. I have no idea what Johnny will look like. Perhaps he will get his prosthetics after all. I think we will end up liking him, because the narrative will be from his point of view, so that we will be drawn in, in the way that we might with Richard 111, say.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:53 am

He certainly has a way of making even his most awful characters sympathetic. I can't wait to see how he does that with Sweeney!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”