Sweeney Todd Question #24 ~

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Sweeney Todd Question #24 ~

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:30 am

Which one of Johnny’s previous characters would be a best fit for Sweeney? Who would do the deed…Edward? Sands, perhaps? You may combine characters if you wish. (Thanks to Depputante for the inspiration on this question!)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Depputante

Re: Sweeney Todd Question #24 ~

Unread postby Depputante » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:10 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Which one of Johnny’s previous characters would be a best fit for Sweeney? Who would do the deed…Edward? Sands, perhaps? You may combine characters if you wish. (Thanks to Depputante for the inspiration on this question!)

:blush: Well... That's the EASIEST question! :grin: Looking forward to other people's answers!
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:32 pm

C'mon!! I cannot deal with these questions that demand creativity! No, not sweet Edward. Sands/Willie Wonka??? Hmmmnnn.... I can see a combo like that doing the dirty deeds. (Of course, he would have to look more like SANDS!) :-O
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Carol Darlin'

Unread postby Carol Darlin' » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:38 pm

Mort.
"This is the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow...Savvy?"

"Thanks, Man. I'll do my best."

stipje

Unread postby stipje » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:44 pm

Spencer :cool:
*If I didn't spend all of my money on Johnny Depp, I'd be driving a Mercedes..

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:51 pm

Agree with Stipje: Spencer
Although a combination of Corso and Mort might work.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:50 pm

When I read this question I thought it was a slam-dunk. Edward looked the part but was too sweet and naive so it had to be Mort. Now you ladies have thrown Spencer and Corso into the mix and I had to think about it a little. I hadn't considered Sands either. He may be a murderer, but to me he is a different type of murderer. Spencer has the look of being capable of anything but he is an alien. I always liked Corso and since reading Kittycat88's fan fict about him I consider him more a lover than a killer.

DITHOT says we can combine so I am taking the easy way out and choosing parts of them all. Sands has the "no feeling of remorse" in common with Sweeney and he does do a lot of planning. Edward has the wild hair and the expertise with sharp instruments. Mort has the mental instability and revenge aspect..
And even Willie sometimes has that vacant facial expression of a killer.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:12 pm

I think its too easy to think of Johnny's sort of more evil characters.If Sweeny is played as the wronged man type out for revenge it could be any. How about George Jung .

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:24 pm

This is an easy question not. :lol:

Okay....how about Sweeney as a poo-poo platter:

Sands -- a pinch of mayhem

Mort -- some nuts

Corso -- a dash of scheming

Spencer -- duplicity added to taste

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Linda B.

Unread postby Linda B. » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:42 pm

He would be a great release for Gilbert's frustrations (not that he has the least bent towards violence, but...)
"It's OK to be different, it's good to be different, we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color."

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:04 pm

Mort goes through the mirror...becomes Mr. Sweeny Shooter ... "You stole my family." :yikes:
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

stipje

Unread postby stipje » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:16 pm

Linda B. wrote:He would be a great release for Gilbert's frustrations (not that he has the least bent towards violence, but...)

Well, he did almost ran over Ellen with his truck (not quite, but you get the idea), and he hit Arnie... So I think he did have a violent streak, even though you can link it to his frustrations etc.
*If I didn't spend all of my money on Johnny Depp, I'd be driving a Mercedes..

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:27 pm

So maybe the question should have been..."Which of Johnny's characters would not be a match to play Sweeney?" :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:37 pm

My first choice was Spencer with a twist of Wonka, but the more I think of it, Mort is perfect. I sort of forgot about the Mort we saw behind the door near the end!!!!! Yep, Mort gets my vote.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:14 pm

I'm going to have to agree about Mort, nebraska. Didn't he murder the dog with a screwdriver, too? I've only seen it twice, so I don't have all the details down, but I think Mort's my vote.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”