It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sweeney Todd Question #23 ~ Tell Your Own Story
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:26 am 

If you were going to tell the story of Sweeney Todd…what elements from the different versions would you include and why? What new elements, if any, would you add?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:45 am 

Aha! Now I know why ONBC'ers are good at that Garage Game! Oh my goodness~ :bawl: I'll try to post later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:44 pm 

Depputante wrote:
Aha! Now I know why ONBC'ers are good at that Garage Game! Oh my goodness~ :bawl: I'll try to post later.

Don't worry Depputante, it doesn't have to be in story form. You can just list some ideas if you want to. :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Sweeney Todd Question #23 ~ Tell Your Own Story
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:43 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
If you were going to tell the story of Sweeney Todd…what elements from the different versions would you include and why? What new elements, if any, would you add?

Sweeny comes off the boat explaining his prison break (Bond version).

The chair would be the one that flips rather than slides. (Symbolizing the Manic/Depressive :Edit: Bipolar). (Pitt? version)

Lucy and the daughter would be about the same.

Mrs. Lovett is the independant business woman getting her store 'ingredients' and is basically in it for herself, so she gets her just dessert (my version) from Sweeny throwning her in the oven in the end. (Sondheim version)

The dog (for fun) would end up with a bone in his mouth, taking it to Tobias while grinding the meat at the end. then realizing what's really happening. (Older version)

Last edited by Depputante on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:08 pm 

One from each version, depputante, I like it! I never thought of the the chair in that way! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:37 pm 

I read this question this morning but didn't have time to answer so here goes. First, I don't want any of the over the top stuff in my version. I hope it can still be a musical with a little more dialog and more of a serious drama then the plays were.

Surely none of you will be surprised if I am still hung up on "Sweeney not killing Mrs. Lovett". She will have to poison herself in prison.

Sweeney's story will be interlaced with some background. Flashbacks are fine of his younger years. The actual story can start with him living happily with his wife; maybe learning she is pregnant before his life is ruined.

I think the story should show how he is wronged and follow him to Botany Bay as he plots his revenge.

From there, I would slide into where the Sondhiem version has him getting off the ship and meeting Mrs. Lovett. She, of coarse, will be smitten with him and I want him to also care for her as they plan their enterprise together.

The murders and pies part of the story can be the same with all the supporting actors. I do prefer Sweeney to build his own barber chair, which will show how he has thoroughly planned every step while in prison.
( and yes Depputante I like the chair that flips them into the basement instead of sliding too.)

The ending I prefer is with them both being caught and after Mrs. Lovett dies Sweeney goes on trail. The supporting actors can all have their say in the proceedings and then Sweeney is found guilty. I like including the smell from the body parts coming up from the tunnels as evidence and having the victims cloths being found in Sweeney's apartment. A little realism!

I want enough evidence to show how wronged Sweeney was to resort to murder so we are sad and not happy in the end which will unfortunately be his execution. I don't like him being murdered or killing himself like in some of the plays.

Somehow I don't think Tim and I will be on the same wavelength with our stories.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Sweeney Todd Question #23 ~ Tell Your Own Story
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:00 pm 

[quote="Depputante"]

The chair would be the one that flips rather than slides. (Symbolizing the Manic/Depressive). (Pitt? version)

quote]

Oh, my goodness, that is a brilliant observation!!!!!

I will have to think about this one. I have seen/read several versions and there are things I like/dislike about most of them........I will get back to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:16 pm 

I know this is a tough one...feel free to come back at any time and add your thoughts!

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:29 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I’m with Gemini in that I want to see some humanity in his backstory so that we have early on made a sympathetic connection with him.

Yes, Depputante, we’ve got to have the chair that flips. (BTW bi-polar is a good analogy).

I have come to the opinion that I prefer the Anthony/Johanna storyline to the Mark/Johanna version. That is because it lends itself more to a sympathetic Sweeney—which is what I am looking for in this movie.

I would like his demise to be at the hand of the chair, as in the Pitt version.

I’m still wrestling over Mrs. Lovett’s demise.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:25 am 

Yes, Bipolar. I couldn't find the word. That's it.

I think Johanna is the sane strain of the play. If she's done by a good actress, very good one, she can take it to the point where we acutally see that Sweeny, once upon a time WAS a good person because we see Johanna's upbringing, and her honesty was not developed by the Judge, but by Sweeny himself. I think we need a little history or Johanna remembering her Fine father (Sweeny) , and it was LIFE that got Sweeny to where he's at now.

I don't think the Sweeny part needs to be soft or nice. I think Johanna can do that.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]