Sweeney Todd Question #22 ~ Design Your Own Sweeney

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:39 pm

Ah, another "easy" DITHOT question!!!!!! :banghead: I was going to try to write something and post it before I read what everyone else had to say, but my mind was blank.......

Liz, fabulous photo, it really captures the mood of the Hearn ST, I think....where did you find that picture? I don't recall seeing it before. I think that is a great image for Johnny's ST.

I suppose we could see a little of Spencer in ST, or maybe a little of a Willy Wonka....I can see a bit of either of them for manerisms.....that cold-as-steel look in Spencer's eyes......chilling! and the crazy right-on-the-edge Wonka.....Johnny could draw on a little of what he injected into those characters. I think his ST will be unique, however......

Fascinating stuff here, you have all come up with some really cool ideas.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:56 pm

Glad you liked it, nebraska! :grin: I believe that picture is from the extras on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Liz is that right? He filmed it when he was on set for Finding Neverland.

You all have such interesting ideas here! I can't wait to find out how Johnny will play it and to come back and visit this thread!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:36 pm

stipje wrote:
Endora wrote:Over-white make-up to hide bad skin, black beauty spot and wig. Clean shaven. Over-thin and obsequeious. Thin lipped and with bad teeth. Stooped back, snivelling and oily towards his betters in front of their faces, coarse, foul and cruel behind their backs.

Quite a challenge, I think.

:yuck2: :lol:

Ewww. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:42 pm

highhopes wrote: Liz, I think the expression on your photo is dead on. And I LOVE, yearn for, his clean-shaven mug (but with a wee bit of five o'clock shadow)

Well, here's the funny thing about that pic. I was remembering the general look from his reading the correspondence with Hunter--mostly the hair. But then when I was searching for the right one to post that expression on his face was just so Sweeney. And five o'clock shadow works for me.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:08 am

Nebraska, as DITHOT said, it was from the extras from F&L.

As far as mannerisms, I agree with you, Nebraska, that it should be unique--but I'm thinking Sands meets Mort with a little bit of Willy thrown in for good measure.

Lady Jill

Sweeny Todd Info

Unread postby Lady Jill » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:57 am

Hope you all don't mind. . .I've really enjoyed reading your posts here about speculation of how Johnny will do this part, BUT. . .I don't know much about this . . play is it?
How can I learn more, read? about it??
Thanks, Lady Jill

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:47 am

You guys crack me up :capnjack: I love your all-inclusive description Endora. :capnjack: .That is quite a challenge :-O ..I agree Charlene...Johnny will find some excuse to mask those looks..I'd like him to look like Ichabod with longer hair,so I guess I mean like Roux. :cloud9:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:24 am

Welcome to ONBC, Lady Jill! :welcome: We read the original play, Sweeney Todd, by George Didbin Pitt, but many also watched the Stephen Sondheim musical version, Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. I know some were able to find the Sondheim version at their local library. Check out our announcement thread to find out about our upcoming discussions and have a look at the "Why These Books" thread to see what we have already read and dicussed. All of our discussions are availabe to read on the ONBC Archives board. We hope you will join us for a discussion! :noodlemantra:

Noodlemantras, keep thinking how you would stir around Johnny's previous characters to make a Sweeney. Look for that question VERY soon!
:ohyes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Well, I said in question #19, I hope Sweeney is beautiful, because I really think that will make his crimes more heinous, there's a monster lurking under that beautiful face, even though his murders are about revenge, murder is monstrous. I think Johnny's hair should be long, like in Chocolat. There should be a kind of coldness about Sweeney, he should be angry and resolute in private but very genteel in public, and the only times we see him otherwise, is when he reflects on his past or in his interactions with Johanna (I hope). The only mannerism I can think, he may have is that his hands always appear to be busy.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”