Sweeney Todd Question #20 ~ Mrs. Lovett - In Film

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:07 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Great ideas, everyone! It will be fun to go back and revisit this thread after the movie comes out!

There will be a few of these threads I will want to revisit after the movie comes out. :-O
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:32 pm

I think Mrs L should be an equal of ST..maybe even more Machiavellian..I thought the poisoning-in-the-prison,was an interesting scenario too,gemini..that Mrs L cheats death,via Sweeney's hands and takes her own route.. :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:52 am

While I liked the way Angela Lansbury played Mrs. Lovett, I don't think Helena has to embody her portrayal, in fact I think that would be a mistake. I see Mrs. Lovett, obviously as a cold, greedy, plotting kind of woman, perhaps whose back-story is that she was in a loveless/brutal marriage; but I also think she would have a very tender side were Sweeney is concerned. I envision her as having loved Sweeney from afar, while he was still married, so he would be her greatest possession, she'd do anything to keep him.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:39 pm

Boo-Radley wrote: While I liked the way Angela Lansbury played Mrs. Lovett, I don't think Helena has to embody her portrayal, in fact I think that would be a mistake. I see Mrs. Lovett, obviously as a cold, greedy, plotting kind of woman, perhaps whose back-story is that she was in a loveless/brutal marriage; but I also think she would have a very tender side were Sweeney is concerned. I envision her as having loved Sweeney from afar, while he was still married, so he would be her greatest possession, she'd do anything to keep him.

Live in Depp
Boo

I like how you've envisioned her, Boobaba. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”