Sweeney Todd Question #18 ~ Drama or Musical?

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Sweeney Todd Question #18 ~ Drama or Musical?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:18 am

Would you rather see Tim's movie done with mostly dialogue and just a few songs or a more faithful treatment of the Sondheim version as a true musical? Or something entirely different?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:41 am

Still unsure about the singing and haven't seen the musical so can't really comment on the style, but I really think its would have been done well as a straight or even slightly humourous drama. Tim and Johnny doing that would have been great.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:16 am

Knowing how those two work together, GG, I'm looking forward to a little dark humor! :jester:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:51 am

I loved picturing Johnny's expressive face in place of George Hearn's expressive face in every close-up in the musical but could never quite get my head around Johnny doing all that singing, BUT that is exactly what I am very, very, very much looking forward to!!!!!! As I've mentioned, I'm a huge fan of musicals (my son is now playing King Arthur in Camelot), and I think it's time Johnny really used his musical ability. Even in musicals, being a great actor is more important than quality of voice, I think, and I'm confident Johnny and Tim will find just the right way to present this. So I vote for being more faithful to Sondheim's version with anything Johnny and Tim want thrown in! :bounce:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:16 am

Hi DITHOTbaba, I've been hoping that Tim's version will have dialogue interspersed with singing at very dramatic points throughout, like the old MGM musicals. I really think that will allow the movie to be edgier, than the play.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:00 pm

I'm hoping for something like a drama with a few songs thrown in.

Has anyone seen Tim's BeetleJuice? Something like that. That's a funny show. Expecially when they dance and sing around the table.

Perhaps this time it will be a kind of mix between Sleepy Hollow and Nightmare Before Christmas that I am looking forward to.

Let me be in line for the Soundtrack. Ooohhh. that voice.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:23 pm

Drama would have been my answer hands down before all the discussion about this project. Now, I must admit that I am curious to hear Johnny sing. I like to watch drama and have always thought putting it to music made it rather silly. Does that mean I have no culture? Tim's description "It's kind of like doing 'The Sound of Music' but with lots of blood", pretty much sums it up for me. After reading Hains version that portrays it like a true story, I seem to like it better that way. It may be due to the fact that I read it first before reading or seeing it in play form.
In Sondhim's musical version, I still can't get over feeling that Angela Landsbury singing about death and pies was comical but odd. Even the Sweeney part was more entertaining because it was more sinister and less comical.You could almost ignore the music and get into the drama of the story. I guess its safe to say, I prefer more dialog and less music but I just have a feeling it is not going to be that way.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:15 pm

I'm leaning towards more drama with some singing too. However, I can't wait to hear Johnny singing! I remember Beetlejuice, Depputante and of course Corpse Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas were a musicals in a way. I want to see the backstory and characters developed more and I'm sure the sets will be fantastic. I just don't see it as straight Sondheim. :-? Boo, I'm thinking old MGM musicals too.

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:59 pm

Put me down for a combo of drama and musical. I think I'm leaning toward a musical after seeing the Sondheim version, but not all music. I would like to see more dialogue intermixed with Sondheim's music. I would like to see Tim make use of some of the other sources, though, like the ending of the Pitt play and maybe some of the "real" story. I want it to have Tim's mark on it, which I'm sure it will. I have no doubt that he will make a one of a kind production of Sweeney Todd. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:12 pm

I think, I would be somewhat dissapointed if all the stories of ST weren't researched, and they only used the most recent Sondheim version, and possibly used in Tim's version. It would make me think that Tim was being lazy. It wouldn't do the history of the story justice. As strict as it may seem. I'm for the all in one combo.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:20 pm

I hate to be unoriginal, but I think I'd like a combo of dialogue and singing, too. All singing would be a bit of a stretch for me, but some would be fun!
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:22 pm

Easy question, right DITHOT????? :lol:

In the beginning I also would have said 100% drama and I think I woud still prefer to see that. But I also enjoyed the Lansbury/Hearn musical version .... well, except for most of the music, which wasn't really too my taste, and Joanna's voice....hmmmmm, no "nails on a blackboard" icon?

I still feel it is about like comparing the Sound of Music to Doctor Zhivago....shall we have Yuri dance and sing through the snow? have him sing an aria as he falls with the fatal heart attack trying to reach Lara? How about watching Kristie Yamaguchi play football with the Chicago Bears? The original and the musical are so different!

I will add my vote for drama with a little music, if the musical version is the final answer. I have faith in Tim and Johnny, I am sure the movie will be visually exciting and wonderful......and I know they will make ST their own.

I have not seen Bettlejuice or Nightmare Before Christmas. I think I have more homework to do.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:00 pm

Presumably, since John Logan is writing the screen play it won't just be all musical, but have some dialogue, I assume he is not just writing stage direction

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:19 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Presumably, since John Logan is writing the screen play it won't just be all musical, but have some dialogue, I assume he is not just writing stage direction

Oh Good. That gives me some hope for more drama.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”