Sweeney Todd Question #15 - Endings

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: history repeats itself

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:24 pm

gemini wrote:Just another random thought that jumped in my mind while reading the thread here.

In Sondhiems version where Tobias kills Sweeney. He went a little over the edge also and he did kill as a revenge for Sweeney killing Mrs. Lovett (my opinion here, but I think he thought of her as his family)
Doesn't that make him the new Sweeney and the cycle starts again? Or maybe that is the ironic part, history repeating itself?

I think maybe we, the audience, want to view Tobias as a hero of sorts. He’s basically lost it, and we feel sorry for him. But the fact is that he is a young man, who, in a moment of anger and revenge, takes another person’s life.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:13 pm

It is hard to keep everything straight.

In two of the versions I have watched Sweeney dies in a fire in his shop ... the 30's movie and the Kingsley movie. In the Kingsley version the "Mark" character is looking for jewels that were stolen from his employer and the "Joanna" character is Sweeney's daughter or charge....and "Mark" holds "Joanna" back while they watche the shop burn, allowing her have her fantasy that Sweeney was a good guy. I hope I am remembering that correctly. :blush:

I was a little confused by the ending of the Sondheim version......Tobias there grinding away......it seemed a little out of sync with the rest of the story and a bit anticlimactic. I sort of thought Sweeney should be the center of the ending, but he went away and the ending trailed on.

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:34 pm

Wow! My brain is slipping. I don't remember Sweeney dying at the end of Sondheim's version. I just remember the little twist with the identity of the crazy homeless lady.

gemini wrote:In Sondhiems version where Tobias kills Sweeney. He went a little over the edge also and he did kill as a revenge for Sweeney killing Mrs. Lovett (my opinion here, but I think he thought of her as his family)
Doesn't that make him the new Sweeney and the cycle starts again?

I like this idea!
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”