Sweeney Todd Question #13 - Kaye's Changes to the Pitt Play

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:57 am

gemini wrote: So Mark's behavior although a bit ludicrous had a purpose. He must have thought if he just showed up and said I am not dead Sweeney would not be charged with murder. It is a simple play and Sweeney was not charged with the other murders.

I'm reminded of another author who used these techniques in order to make an interesting story--Edgar Allen Poe. I rather like that technique.

Gemini, good synopsis and critique of the changes Kaye made to the play!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:39 pm

Liz, I was just thinking the same thing about Poe. The ghostly scene reminded me of Poe's The Telltale Heart. gemini, thank you for posting all the changes. I agree with you all that they made perfect sense! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:23 pm

This is sort of an answer, and sort of pondering on what I perceive as some of the short-fallings of the Pitt play--

My father was reminiscing yesterday about going to movies when he was a child in the late 1930's/early 1940's. He and his siblings would spend the entire afternoon seeing movies and newsreels and cartoons, for the vast sum of ten cents. They wouldn’t pay attention to what time a particular movie started, the way we do now. They’d just go when they’d finished their chores, and if they didn’t see the beginning of a movie, it was no big deal.

I’ve read that Hitchcock’s Psycho was a novelty when it came out because the ads said that no one would be seated after the film started. Until that time, this article claimed, people would wander into a movie whenever they wanted, and if they didn’t understand the end, they’d stay and watch the beginning of the next showing.

I don’t know enough about theater history to know if that was how melodramas worked, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Continuity may not have been a big deal. (It isn’t to my DH. His channel surfing amazes me.:lol:)

If you were watching the Pitt play without Kaye’s edits, and weren’t really concerned about continuity, it might not bother you that the characters were simplistic, their motivations unclear, and that the dead came back to life. Give ‘em a bit of gore, a villain to boo, a hero and heroine to cheer for, and they’re happy. More like a haunted house tour than a story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:23 pm

I think the plays then were quite formulaic so it was probably pretty easy to figure out who was who and who was supposed to do what. I didn't know that about Psycho, fansmom. I can certainly see why though. :cool:

Channel surfing, remotes and men...that sounds very familiar!
:banghead:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:38 pm

Boo-Radley wrote:Gemini thanks for the rundown of Kaye's changes to the play, they were very helpful. :cool: While I agree that Kaye's changes helped make the play better, I still think there were scenes, were the actions seemed forced. One example the climax of the play, Mark's ghostly appearance at the trial, maybe it's just me but I found the whole circumstance ludicrous.

Live in Depp
Boo

I think that he did a admirable job trying to piece together things that were unclear while maintaining the play's original intent, but I was still confused in many spots. Maybe it's like Boo said.... forced scences and ludicrous circumstances and all.
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:23 pm

I agree. I think that goes with the time period of the production

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”