Angela Lansbury talks a little bit about Sweeney Todd..

by George Dibdin Pitt

Moderator: Liz

gilly

Angela Lansbury talks a little bit about Sweeney Todd..

Unread postby gilly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:20 pm

It's interesting to read her take on the recent musical production...http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/9237
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:45 pm

Her take on the role of Mrs. Lovett is interesting given our comments. Thanks, gilly!

Angela Lansbury: I think my performance shocked some people because it was in opposition to everything else that was going on, but I thought it was terribly important to lighten the piece. If I hadn't gone that route and cut up as much as I did, I think it would have been more difficult for the audience to swallow. Sweeney Todd was the hardest work I've ever done, but also the most meaningful.

TheaterMania: Do you suspect that it will make a good film?

Angela Lansbury: I would have thought it wouldn't, but that's based on the production that I participated in. I know the movie is going to be quite different, and it may just work like mad.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:11 pm

Ummm... she adjusted her role to meet with the status quo.
Umm...I guess she's not much of a Johnny fan.

It was interesting to know that she lightened up her role on purpose! She was fun with it, but ... like someone said...we need the anger there too.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:18 pm

What is interesting to me about the list of artists who have been involved with Sweeney Todd is the tremendous passion they have for this story. Angela says it was the hardest work she ever did but also the most meaningful.....that says a lot for someone with her list of credits and accomplishments.

I couldn't understand in the beginning why Tim and Johnny would want to do this story, and I guess I still don't really understand it. But whatever there is about Sweeney Todd it seems to capture the imagination of very talented people from generation to generation.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:20 pm

Very true, nebraska. Patti Lupone seems to have had a similar reaction to the role.

Depputante, it sounds to me like she is at least leaving the door open for the film version. I am glad to know why she felt she had to lighten up the role. She certainly did...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

rumsgone

article

Unread postby rumsgone » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:23 pm

Where did you get this impression from? I remember her speaking with Johnny when he received the Strasberg award.....

gemini

She sounds like the movie may just work well.

Unread postby gemini » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:01 pm

She concedes that the movie is going to be quite different than her prodcution and it may just work like mad. That sounds like she thinks it just may work well. It's not really negative. She just had reservations about a movie the way the play was done.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:33 am

gilly thanks for this, it really helps me to better understand my take on her performance. I really think the way she played Mrs. Lovett was brilliantly unique.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Depputante

Re: article

Unread postby Depputante » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:48 am

rumsgone wrote:

Where did you get this impression from? I remember her speaking with Johnny when he received the Strasberg award.....

Well, she lightens up her roles, and makes them very easy to watch. She makes the scary go away but tells the story. Whereas,
Johnny is very deep and loves the ghoulishness of the roles. I can't see her getting into and enjoying his roles. They might be too scary for her to watch!
(Athogh he did channel her for Sleepy Hollow.)
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:23 pm

:interesting: comments on a very :interesting: interview! :-O And thanks, Gilly, for sharing it with us. I finally read it this morning (Real life, you know). And real life means I will be spotty this week. But I digress.

I too, found it interesting that she views it as the "most meaningful" of her roles. :eyebrow: It was obviously a big deal to her. And she has no problem sharing her & Sondheim's opinion about the Doyle version, does she? I can't comment on that version. But I will say that having seen Angela and Patti in the role (Patti in the concert version), I think they both equally gave the part a comedic quality. I actually prefer Patti to Angela. I don't think that is a reflection on Ms. Lansbury's acting, but just personal preference.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:49 pm

I did read a quote from Tim during the press junket for Sleepy Hollow regarding Angela Lansbury, "For his birthday I got him a signed photo of Angela Lansbury that read 'From one sleuth to another,' Maybe she is a fan!

Wow! What a ride!

Sioux

Unread postby Sioux » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:08 pm

:dunce: I'm a dork... posted in the wrong forum... D'OH!
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face ~ J.D.

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

Return to “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”