Johnny, DMTNT nominated for Razzies

For more relaxed conversation about Johnny Depp, to share favorite Depp photos & scans, have themed pic parties, or to identify unknown pics
SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 am

Johnny and Dead Men Tell No Tales have been nominated for Razzies. The fake awards show is highlighting all the franchise movies this year.

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:53 pm

Can't say I'm surprised. These are the only awards they nominate him for, anymore. I have to say, and this is just my own personal opinion, I can't watch the Pirate films anymore. I know many people love them, and that's fine, but I want so much more for him. The last one, from the few minutes I watched, he was filthy, staggering around drunk. I found nothing charming in that performance. I hope he moves on. The first film was great and was much loved. I'm trying to imagine what his career would be like, today, if he had never made the sequels. I'm sorry, I know this opinion won't be popular, but it's how I feel.
Funny ol' world, innit?

Justme

Unread postby Justme » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:02 pm

I'm kind of relieved that I'm not the only one who is tired of Pirates and Sparrow himself. I loved The Curse of the Black Pearl, it was fresh, funny & entertaining. Jack stole my heart right away and he was the only reason I watched the sequels. I did not like second and third one but I enjoyed On Stranger Tides, mostly because it had a TCOTBP vibe, yet I was very disappointed when I red that there will be another one. I was like "Enough is enough! Stop beating this dead horse already!". I was so angry I decided that I will not see it. And I didn't. Reviews from Depp fans proved me right. I only saw few clips and couldn't stand them, they made me sad and angry. "Why, Johnny, why?", it still rings in my head.
Just like you, sleepy, I was wondering, how Johnny's career would look like, if he said no after the first Pirates. Two days ago I finally watched a Mortdecai and I was so embarrassed. It was so bad I barely made it to the end. I couldn't help but thinking: would he made this kind of movie if it wasn't for his "romance" with Disney and blockbusters? Would 90's Johnny said yes to that project?
I still admire this man, I think he's a tremendously talented artist, I love his mind and kindness but I can't remember the last time I was excited about his upcoming movie. And I can't help but compare him to Viggo Mortensen. Just like Johnny he was respected but not very popular actor until The Lord of the Rings came out. After Pirates Depp became a big shot and his movies lost a quality - they were more and more Hollywoodian and less and less challenging or inspiring. Mortensen on the other hand used his stardom and the fact that he no longer has to care about money (he made and I bet is still making tons of it on LOTR) to make more interesting and independent projects that may not bring him much profit or popularity but are creative and have a lot of artistic values. Viggo, just like Johnny, is a very kind, modest, well-spoken and inteligent man, his coworkers are praising him for being a true gentleman and loving guy. Critics are always in awe of his performances. Just like Johnny he is a true artist but as he keeps away from Disney or other big studios and Hollywood in general (he openly slams Academy and Hollywood itself) he is seen as more authentic and only gets a good press (tabloids are not interested in him and only mention him when he's working with some A-list actors). And I get that. And I can't help but feeling that his career shows how Johnny's career would look like if he stayed away from Disney - being well-known all over the world without losing his integrity.

I won't be surprised if this post will be removed for being off topic, but I needed to get it off my chest.

tralala

Unread postby tralala » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm

I love the whole original POTC trilogy, but I feel like the 4th film lost some of the franchise magic with the change of the director, and the last one really could use a better script and especially a writer who had a better understanding of what made Jack's character entertaining. That being said, I don't think Johnny or Javier Barder should be blamed for "bad acting". They did the best they could with what they got. That title should be reserved for actors who got brilliant scripts and blew it.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried about the Razzies. I don't think many people care.

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:55 pm

The movie got 7 nominations (Johnny included) at the Teen Choice Awards last year, which was nice. Razzies just pick big names for publicity, it's beyond tiresome.

I'm hoping Johnny gets nominated at the Kids' Choice Awards, which are also more relevant than the Razzies.
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

RumLover

Unread postby RumLover » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:22 pm

The Razzies are a group that anyone can join and vote so the highest profile movies get the most votes. They are not a critics group whose job requires that the see the bad movies even if no-one else does.

I still like the Pirates movies but I did not like down-and-drunk Captain Jack.
I did not like Mordecai at all but I think that it was entirely Johnny's project; he made it happen; it was not someone else's project he signed onto; it reflects his sense of humour.

Johnny is not the first actor to do less serious drama and more comedy as he gets older eg Robert De Niro. I am not going to speculate on why this happens.

Johnny is a different situation from many other actors regarding money. A few years ago, while everyone thought he had more than enough, his business managers were taking out loans and telling him he needed to make millions more. This probably did affect his choices.

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:03 am

I didn't mean to imply the Razzies were relevant or important, because they're not. But it was depressing, during award season (which Johnny used to be a part of) to see them drag his name up again. What he does with his career is totally his own decision. I guess it was just my own wishful thinking. He's made some amazing films which I love watching over and over. It's hurtful to hear comments from the press, and critics, making fun of his movies. He's so good...I just want him to slowly return to some awesome films.
Funny ol' world, innit?

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 am

I have to agree with everything you said Sleepy and Justme.
I have not watched the latest POTC either (apart from some clips) for the same reasons.
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

Texas Gal

Unread postby Texas Gal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 am

I've actually enjoyed all of the POTC films so I guess that speaks to just differences of opinion in viewing choices, as well as my ability to be easily entertained. :spin: And there are some of Johnny's earlier works that don't appeal to me at all. I agree that this group is very focused on his choices and work, much more so than the general audiences that will choose to see or not see films.

I also agree that Johnny's choices are his alone - along with the fact that we all need income and that drives our decisions at times. I know my views on things and my choices have changed as I've matured over my lifetime, I imagine his has as well. So as long as he's doing things that he enjoys (which is clearly Captain Jack), I guess that's all any of us can hope for in our lives. :goodvibes:

As far as the Razzies....eh, I don't really care. ;)
"We forget what a gift every single breath is." Johnny on ITAS

CryBaby

Unread postby CryBaby » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 am

:twocents: I doubt if Johnny gives a, uh... crap about this nomination. If anything he might find it amusing. Anyway, they spelled his name right.
I always think he deserves every prestigious award that can be given, but we all know there is a lot of politics and silly dynamics behind the scenes influencing this. I think that is part of why he said he never wants to win an Oscar. I think he prefers to remain something of an outlier.
As to the Pirates series, the only ones I have seen are ones that have been on tv and probably none in its entirety. I like the bits of him acting funny and cute, but I don't like action/adventure movies in general.
I was always curious about his decision to get so involved with Disney ( which I regard skeptically), but they are growing in power so they control a lot of the movie industry.
Lastly (I swear) with everything Johnny went through during the filming of the most recent Pirates movie, I think it is safe to say neither Johnny nor anyone else had fun filming it and that may have showed.
Raspberries to the Razzies.

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 pm

The thing that bothers me about him being nominated is that the movie made allot of money overall, top 10 for 2017. He is one of the top 10 grossing actors also. So I think it is an insult to the people buying tickets.

I wanted to mention on Mortdecai....I thought the movie had great potential as a pg13 movie. I think pushing it to R for cheap adult jokes is what hurt it. Lost out on the right audience to appreciate most of the humor, Also the idea of an art dealer, crime consultant isn’t relevant in the US...more so in Europe.

Justme

Unread postby Justme » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Lbock wrote:I wanted to mention on Mortdecai....I thought the movie had great potential as a pg13 movie. I think pushing it to R for cheap adult jokes is what hurt it. Lost out on the right audience to appreciate most of the humor, Also the idea of an art dealer, crime consultant isn’t relevant in the US...more so in Europe.

Exactly - it's a wasted potential. I remember reading somewhere that this movie bears a resemblance to The Pink Panther and this is what I was hoping for as a huge fan of a French and British humor. Unfortunately it was filled with a cheap sex jokes that got tired after five minutes. I'm not gonna lie, I love me some dirty and silly comedy from time to time (like last week I was laughing like crazy while watching Burning Love) but I was expecting something more from Johnny and David after fantastic Secret Window.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:19 pm

I feel like with DMNT, more than one person here have projected the bits they have seen of Jack "drunk and dirty" on to Johnny himself, as if that was the state Johnny was in while filming. I'd just like to point out that stuff was in the script, not a direct reflection of Johnny's personal state. Too close to a feared reality for some I guess. I think DMNT has some of the funniest bits in the whole POTC series.
I think it's become habit lately for any high profile movie Johnny's in to be razzie nominated. And some of the posts here seem to imply that Johnny has basically only done "blockbusters" since COTBP. Not true. Too much Pirates? Maybe. But none of us know all the details about what the movie landscape looks like from Johnny's perspective; what comes across his desk, how much of what he wants to do actually gets green lit, etc. There does seem to be far less of the mid-budget sort of films being made now compared to the 90's.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm going to defend Pirates now partly because I have just been out with a group of people at work and it came up because a couple of them had been to the Albert Hall (where the MOTOE premier was held) to see a showing of one of the Pirates films with a live orchestra. Apparently it was fantastic - there are lots of these events put on - Bond movies etc, but Pirates is considered to be one of the best to do this with. What was interesting - once again - was talking-to people about the films and about Johnny. They were all in their twenties and they love Jack Sparrow. They don't look too deeply into the character, they don't worry about the artistic process - just that he is a fun bit of escapism and it makes them happy. They also know almost nothing about his personal life and could care even less.

I am sorry I sound like a broken record, I keep saying things like this here - but we are so deeply involved in the detail of what happens to him and hurt by the criticisms that we often miss the big picture. DMTNT was a big hit. He was one of the big box office actors in 2017. He's headlining another big franchise this autumn. He fronts a campaign for a global fashion house and the product continues to be on the best seller list. These are the facts.

gipsyblues

Unread postby gipsyblues » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 am

Ade , thank you ! :agreesign: :applause2:

Return to “DeppChat & Pic Parties”