Johnny, DMTNT nominated for Razzies

For more relaxed conversation about Johnny Depp, to share favorite Depp photos & scans, have themed pic parties, or to identify unknown pics
marija

Unread postby marija » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:51 am

Thank you so very much, Ade.
I've made the very same experiences, too. From my children to many friends in all ages there are so many fans of Captain Jack. The most of them are not especially Johnny fans, but they love his unique performances. They don't care for his life circumstances. You are right Ade...we're too much involved for the wider point of view.
I would like to have only one more pirates movie with Johnny. I think he deserves a slightly better story for the final .
Thanks
...it's not easy, to be different..."

Justme

Unread postby Justme » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:24 pm

jruoss wrote:And some of the posts here seem to imply that Johnny has basically only done "blockbusters" since COTBP. Not true. Too much Pirates? Maybe. But none of us know all the details about what the movie landscape looks like from Johnny's perspective; what comes across his desk, how much of what he wants to do actually gets green lit, etc. There does seem to be far less of the mid-budget sort of films being made now compared to the 90's.

No, no, I never said he made only blockbusters after Pirates, to be honest, my favourite film with Johnny is The Libertine, which is, as we all know, post-Pirates movie, I just feel like he made too few of those great projects. But to each his own.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:25 pm

I was just kind of responding to the thread in general, not sure exactly who said what. I was going to say in my post yesterday, that as we're not in control of what movies Johnny ends up doing, that I just hope for the best whatever it is. I'm not a "Jack First" sort of Depp fan, but when Jack it is, Jack it is, and all Johnny's ignorant detractors can go suck a bug, including "knowledgeable" critics. His acting is always top notch, always completely committed, and if the sort of people that want to nominate all his high profile films for Razzies don't want to see that, their loss.
Someone was comparing him to Viggo Mortensen, who is also a fine actor. But there are significant differences in their paths. Johnny is much more humor oriented for one, which affects his choices and makes it easier for some to write him off. Viggo may have become more well known through LOTR than before, but nothing compared to the attention Johnny got for Captain Jack, which for good or ill has affected his trajectory since.
Mortdecai, yes it was knowingly similar to the Pink Panther movies, maybe not as good, but that was totally something Johnny wanted to do after having read the Mortdecai books.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

Justme

Unread postby Justme » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:09 pm

I guess it's me and my high expectations. There are fans who will always be happy with every choice he makes and enjoy it no matter what and there are creatures like me who are hard to please, but he owes me nothing and that's fine. Do I wish there were more movies like Arizona Dream and less like Alice or Pirates? Hell yeah, but it's not up to me. As long as these are his own choices, I'm okay with that, I don't need to like every single one of his films to appreciate his talent and being his fan. I can bitch about it but at the end of the day he is still one of my favourite actors.

And yeah, that was me who compared him to Mortensen. As being huge fan of both I see some similarities between them.
"nothing compared to the attention Johnny got for Captain Jack". I must disagree here. LOTR was huge and Viggo got a lot of attention, he just chose to ignore it. He was saying no to big projects and haven't done much of the interviews or talk-shows at that time, so media got bored with him very quickly, while Johnny, for a very long time, was one of their favourites. And that was the whole point of this comparison - they both had the same opportunity but made two different decisions and end up in two different places. And that was all I wanted to accomplished by writing this, it was never about saying who's better actor or a better man.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Justme wrote:I guess it's me and my high expectations. There are fans who will always be happy with every choice he makes and enjoy it no matter what and there are creatures like me who are hard to please, but he owes me nothing and that's fine. Do I wish there were more movies like Arizona Dream and less like Alice or Pirates? Hell yeah, but it's not up to me. As long as these are his own choices, I'm okay with that, I don't need to like every single one of his films to appreciate his talent and being his fan. I can bitch about it but at the end of the day he is still one of my favourite actors.

And yeah, that was me who compared him to Mortensen. As being huge fan of both I see some similarities between them.
"nothing compared to the attention Johnny got for Captain Jack". I must disagree here. LOTR was huge and Viggo got a lot of attention, he just chose to ignore it. He was saying no to big projects and haven't done much of the interviews or talk-shows at that time, so media got bored with him very quickly, while Johnny, for a very long time, was one of their favourites. And that was the whole point of this comparison - they both had the same opportunity but made two different decisions and end up in two different places. And that was all I wanted to accomplished by writing this, it was never about saying who's better actor or a better man.

We could discuss various things about Mr. Depp on and on I guess. Some of my very favorite Depp films are those classics from the 90's. I love Arizona Dream, so delightfully bizarre. Dead Man, Ed Wood, universes unto themselves. Donnie Brasco, FALILV, what can you say?
But I still don't agree, even if Viggo had made himself more press accessible, that he would have gotten as much attention for LOTR as Johnny did for COTBP. I know LOTR was big, but Captain Jack came out of nowhere in a movie that wasn't supposed to do anywhere near the business it did, and took Johnny from star to mega-star even as he was quietly making his next mid-budget movie, Secret Window. All the sudden the whole world had discovered Johnny Depp, and it seemed like it had only been a matter of time that an actor that handsome and original stole the show in something main stream enough to where suddenly he was "the sexiest man alive". All the press in the world wouldn't have gotten Viggo that level of attention. And after COTBP, I don't think it was so much like Johnny went out of his way to capitalize on his fame, it was more like he couldn't escape it. He was just going about his business: Secret Window, The Libertine, another film with his old buddy Tim Burton (CATCF), which only got as much hype as it did due to Johnny's new level of fame. I suppose after a few years the hype may have died down had Johnny not gone on to do P2 and 3, but I think his love of the character and maybe some other factors made that hard to resist. A feedback loop was created to some extent. Many of Johnny's subsequent films were considered "big budget" because of his participation, and the participation of directors who became more well known because of past work with Johnny. Also, the films he made as a younger man were things that he couldn't have pulled off in his 40's. Different mentalities, different things at play.
I'm still all for any collaborations he does with Tim Burton, my favorite director. I wish Alice had been aimed a little bit more toward adults than it was, but I still love that Johnny and Tim took the trip to W(U)onderland together.
I guess for me, I've seen and heard Johnny in enough different guises- actor, thinker, writer, musician, that no matter what role he takes on, I trust that his heart and mind are in the right place. And so I find him easy to root for even when the movie itself isn't one of the best he's ever appeared in, knowing that there's only going to be one Arizona Dream, one Libertine, etc...
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:29 pm

I have been pretty vocal about my weariness with the Pirates movies. However, before DMTNT came out, I watched the first four movies in order. Seeing them in close succession gave me a different appreciation for the story arc. Then I saw the new movie twice -- reading some discussion and interpretation before I saw it the second time. And I felt much better about it all then. I do wish he would do other things, and he has. He has made several movies in between the release of the multiple Pirate movies.

I am one of those who enjoys everything Johnny does. He makes me happy. I enjoyed his portrayal of Tonto very much. I thought Mortdecai was funny and entertaining. I thought Transcendence was positively brilliant. I miss the old days when being his fan was an underground cult thing. Those days are gone. The bottom line is that Johnny has been successful working as an actor in a business and if he is going to continue to make movies, once in a while he has to make something like the Pirates movie that brings in lots of money for the studio. It allows him to make the occasional more artful film regardless of whether the critics like it or whether it actually makes money. It has taken me a long to come around to that understanding.

At this point in his life, his interests have become more varied. He is performing music with a band now. He has a publishing company. His career and life aren't focused solely on his acting career, he has a lot of other irons in the fire. Sometimes I think we are lucky he still makes movies at all.

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:34 pm

jruoss wrote: . . . . I guess for me, I've seen and heard Johnny in enough different guises -actor, thinker, writer, musician, that no matter what role he takes on, I trust that his heart and mind are in the right place. And so I find him easy to root for even when the movie itself isn't one of the best he's ever appeared in, knowing that there's only going to be one Arizona Dream, one Libertine, etc...

Thanks, jruoss, for taking the time to share those touching sentiments so eloquently especially, for me, this last paragraph and what I’ve highlighted within.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:11 am

Update: No Razzies for our favorite Pirate!

But they sure didn’t like the Emoji Movie. :lol:

List of winners and nominees:

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:58 am

You know if he won I think he'd be one of the very few people to turn up and get the award - I think he'd find it funny and applaud the anti-Oscar-ness of it all. I could even see him turning up as Captain Jack. But overall glad he didn't and am loving all the positive coverage for his STP appearance yesterday and today. He looks yummy and happy.

DebbieJCDFan

Unread postby DebbieJCDFan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:39 pm

I’m one of those fans who still loves the POTC movies and Captain Jack Sparrow, but I also love almost all of Johnny’s other movies and everything else about him. The range and “Deppth” of his acting skills is astounding, and his musical skills are another amazing facet of this man. To counter the negative media and the Razzies, I think it would be nice to focus on how Johnny has influenced the lives of his fans, how happy he has made us... It could even be a separate subject, perhaps a Because of Johnny theme? As for me, Because of Johnny, I have enjoyed a lot of excellent movies, and had a great time waiting along the Red Carpet for multiple movie premieres, where I met a lot of other fans, some of whom have become very good friends. I have been blessed to be able to meet and talk to Johnny a few times, and to see what a beautiful and gentle soul he is, inside and outside, and I’ve also gotten a few pictures with him along with my friends. I have been able to see Johnny playing guitar multiple times (and even playing drums once), along with a lot of other great musicians. I’ve been able to meet and enjoy talking to some of those great musicians too. Because of Johnny, my life has truly been enriched beyond measure!
Wait for the Opportune Moment!
DebbieJCDFan

Lbock

Unread postby Lbock » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:35 pm

I love the pirates movies and I think Johnny loves that character. I believe we would have had a very different POTC5 if turd never happened. And I am most sad, that if this is the last one, that he didn’t finish it with the fondest of memories.

Ade

Unread postby Ade » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:00 pm

I really think there will be one more with Johnny in it. Five was planned as a two parter. It is set up to carry on. And there is no reason for them not to do it - if P5 had been a box office flop then that probably would have been the end but as many, many commentators have said, Disney will not want to abandon it multi-billion dollar franchise. I feel I must repeat what's already been said, but accounting for currency fluctuation, P5 did over a billion. Even with the currency issues it did nearly 800 million amid not great publicity for its star. And it was just so strong in the territories where Disney is trying to build market.

I would love to see one more, with Captain Jack back in charge of the Pearl, back to his old cheeky tricks and always with a plan.

Return to “DeppChat & Pic Parties”