Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 14th Anniversary

For more relaxed conversation about Johnny Depp, to share favorite Depp photos & scans, have themed pic parties, or to identify unknown pics
Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:52 am

What's your memory of seeing it for the first time?
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

Jackslady

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 14th Anniversary

Unread postby Jackslady » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:28 am

Goodness, has it been 14 years, where has the time gone?! :yikes:

This film is really special for me because it changed my life. It was my introduction to Johnny :loveshower: . I hadn't seen any of his films before this one!

I remember going to see it after work with a group of work friends. We were window dressers in a large department store. It was a very hot evening and we'd had a long day at work hanging posters and moving furniture. There were about six of us, and we went to a pub for a drink first, it was so hot we were undecided whether to go to the cinema at all! Anyway, because I'd always loved pirate films and had been intrigued by the trailer, I encouraged the others to go. I remember we were in the back row as the cinema was so full and we were lucky to get in at all! I saw Captain Jack's back on that mast and fell in love with him before I'd even seen his face - and that was it! I subsequently saw the film a further 9 times in the cinema! My friends loved it too. One of them is someone I've been close friends with for over 20 years, in a nice little bookend we recently saw Dead Men Tell No Tales together and laughed as much as we did when we saw the first film together.

I called myself Jackslady because I love him so much, the films have given me hours of entertainment and always cheer me up when I feel low. :thanks!: Johnny and all the amazingly talented people who have been involved in bringing this magical world to the screen.

:captainjack: :capnjack: :toastingpirates: :dancingpirate: :pirategunshot:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:44 pm

:bounce: Happy anniversary to all the bloody pirates who entered our lives 14 years ago!

justintime

Unread postby justintime » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Jackslady wrote:Goodness, has it been 14 years, where has the time gone?! . . .
. . . This film is really special for me because it changed my life. It was my introduction to Johnny. I hadn't seen any of his films before this one! . . . :thanks!: Johnny and all the amazingly talented people who have been involved in bringing this magical world to the screen

Same here, Jackslady. I had to wonder where this man had been all my life - I'd never even seen Edward Scissorhands!
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:20 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that this movie changed my life. I made new friends, and started learning new things again. While it wasn't until Sweeney Todd that I became a life-long fan, his presence made Curse of the Black Pearl for me. My husband and I went to see it and I was wondering until the end credits at just who was underneath the makeup and was stunned that it was "Depp from 21 Jump Street". A performance worthy still of the Oscar nomination, as nobody else could have been or will ever be, Captain Jack Sparrow. :captainjack:

Thank you Johnny!!! :toastingpirates:

But, why is the rum always gone?
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd
My flickr page

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Oh, dear, I remember it well. I went to the cinema because I had been specifically told that I was not invited to a party for one of the younger family members. I was heartbroken and I pretty much cried through the whole movie. But that moment when Jack arrived, the first shot of him standing on the mast, I stopped breathing! Literally! It was a moment I will never forget. I had been his fan for a long time before that, but that moment was stunning beyond words! I saw it at least another four times in the cinema (and several more on disc, including just a week or so ago).

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:47 pm

I saw the first one with my family. You know, just an adventure movie I figured all would like. I, too, remember being startled by Jack. First I noticed how very funny he was. And then I found myself downright attracted to the man. At that point my daughter knew more about Johnny than I did. She'd seen Edward Scissorhands repeatedly. The 1990s was all about raising kids for me. TV was Barney etc. So, Johnny was a wonderful revelation and I had much fun exploring all the movies I'd never seen.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks everyone for the anniversary reminder of the first :captainjack: movie I love to tell my story of how I fell in love with the good Capitain :truefan: I took my grands to see it because the Lady Washington was in it. I only saw it once on the big screen would love to see it again on the big screen. I have since viewed it more times than I can count on dvd. I started researching this wonderful actor that played the Captain and low and behold there was Johnny Depp and the rest is history. I can't even imagine what my life would have been like nor do I want to without Mr. Depp.
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

Return to “DeppChat & Pic Parties”