Good Omens Question #24 - Final Thoughts

by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Good Omens Question #24 - Final Thoughts

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:23 am

It’s been fun, as always. :grin: But it’s now time to wrap up this discussion. :bawl: Thanks for joining us and sharing your insightful thoughts. As always, you guys :rocknroll:

The question today is not a mind-bending one. We just want to know if there is anything else that you would like to discuss about Good Omens.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:43 am

THANKS Liz and DITHOT for another great book discussion. I really appreciate all the effort you put into getting the tidbits and in keeping the discussion going! :cool:

Not sure if this will ever be made into a movie, but if it is and without Johnny, it will be hard for me to see anyone else as Crowley. I don't think this book would have crossed my path without the Johnny connection, so once again I'm grateful for Johnny's love of books, his desire to make interesting films, and how it all inspires me to read a variety of things.

I'm glad I read it. I know it wasn't everyone's 'cup of tea', but I found it humorous and even laugh out loud funny at times. I'll have to think if there is anything else to discuss, you gals covered it all rather well.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:04 am

Thanks, KY. Funny you should bring up the casting for Crowley again. That was going to be the subject of my contribution to today’s question. I had not thought of anyone else but Johnny as Crowley until last Saturday night, when I saw Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang with Robert Downey Jr. I watched him and saw him as Crowley throughout the entire movie. So if you are reading this, Terry, and Johnny can’t find the time to do GO, go for RDJ.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

My only thought is that I have to read the book again. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to start it again so that things like Agnes Nutter's predictions would make more sense. This discussion felt too short. I think there's a lot more we could go into.

Thanks, :ONBC: and especially Liz and DITHOT! You do indeed :rocknroll: !

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:33 pm

Like KYwoman, I never would have read this book otherwise. Like fansmom, I felt the need to read the book again and DID peruse it quite a bit after reading it. When I first checked into the book, I got a bad feeling that it was some sort of a contrived story designed to hang a bunch of jokes on---not my thing! Then I noticed the jokes were pretty funny. That helped, but what got me was finding out how really deep and really sweet it was and, most of all, how very rational in this time of religions going crazy.
I choose recipes that have the same ingredients. I read books with similar themes and similar characters. Thank heavens, for Johnny and ONBC for getting me to stretch a bit!!! :bouquet: This book I was prejudiced against is now one I'd enjoy reading again or opening to any page and savoring.
Sincere thanks to Liz and DITHOT for their energy, wit and kindness day in and day out! :love:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:40 pm

Not much to add...I agree with all said above. DITOTH & LIZ...thank you both so very much for all you do for us. I know it is an incredible amount of hard work to run these discussions and takes time from your own lives, so please accept my heartfelt thanks. Even though I don't post too often, I so enjoy reading the tidbits and others' answers. This bookclub has really added to my enjoyment of reading. How could GO have come to an end so soon???? ST just arrived yesterday, and so it begins again.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:55 pm

Another Thanks to DITHOT and Liz for a great new book I would not have read otherwise. And of course all your hard work.

I love this book and will buy it for my own soon. The library has been very accommodating letting me check it out again and again.

Every week at art class something will come up in the conversation and I have been able to talk about GO everytime, it is timeless and covers so many subjects.

A great read and I tell everyone about it.

Thanks ONBCers for all your great insights and stretching my brain cells!
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:05 pm

I wish I had time to read it again, myself. But I'm on to the next book now. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Betty Sue, I like how you've said that it was deep and sweet. I think so, too. I didn't expect it to be sweet when I started reading it.

Hey DITHOT, should we tell them the reason the discussion seems so short is that we asked 6 less questions than normal? :lol: That's all we came up with this time. :blush: So PLEASE, Noodlemantras, bring up anything you want to discuss about it that we may have missed.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:41 pm

I have to say, Liz and DITHOT, that I think you did a marvelous job to come up with the number of questions you did! And, as someone else said, you seem to have covered the book thoroughly. I can't think of anything else I wanted to discuss about it.

I first read this book a couple years ago when I was still a lurker here, but I enjoyed it even more when I reread it for our discussion. So, put it away and pull it out next year when you need airplane or beach reading.

Let me add my thank you to Liz and DITHOT for another great job. You never let us down. :bouquet:

PS: Didn't you love Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang, Liz? I just roared through the whole thing. And I like your idea about RDJ as a substitute Crowley!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:50 pm

Thanks, Bix. Yes, I loved Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang. It was funny and different.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:29 pm

I loved this book!!! Like others have mentioned, I never would have given it a second glance if it hadn't been required reading for ONBC. Anyone who thinks Johnny Depp is just a pretty face needs to take note of his reading habits. My mind has been stretched and stimulated so much by this book club founded in his honor! :bounce:

Liz, DITHOT, you ladies rock! I know you do this because you love it, but I also know it takes a lot of time and effort and we are all grateful for what you do. The tidbits add so much to the books. My friend wants to read Good Omens and I plan to pass along the tidbit printouts with the book. (On loan only!)

All my fellow Noodlemantras! You are a class act I think we have the best book club going because we have participants of every age and educational level, with representatives from many countries. The variety adds so much to understanding it all.

I don't know what else I would discuss unless anyone wants to tell how this book affected them personally.

For myself, it made me laugh out loud. I can't remember the last time I laughed aloud when reading ....or maybe doing anything else for that matter. It was downright a fun read! I loved the portrayal of the Four as things like Pollution.....it seems more to the point in our modern world. It also seemed to me, beneath the humor, there was some genuine wisdom and insight that made me stop and think. Isn't that one purpose of a satire, to prove a point, to make people think? It did that for me.

now...........on to Sweeney Todd :-/

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:37 pm

It made me laugh out loud, too, Nebraska. That is my favorite kind of book--the LOL kind.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:00 pm

Liz wrote: Hey DITHOT, should we tell them the reason the discussion seems so short is that we asked 6 less questions than normal? :lol: That's all we came up with this time. :blush:

:shhh: Guess the secret is out now! :lol: I really enjoyed this book and as always you all make me see things I never would have found for myself. :cool: I always hate the end of a discussion, it feels like a friend is leaving, but I know there are new friends around the corner. Thanks everyone for your participation and your kind words.

I'm taking off for a week on vacation but I'll see you next week. Get ready for Sweeney!
:yikes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:36 pm

Thanks Liz and DITHOT! Another lively and fun discussion! I loved Good Omens and being able to get other Noodlemantra's insights and ideas gave me an even better appreciation of the book's humor and wisdom. Enjoy the vacation DITHOT and I'll be looking forward to starting Sweeney Todd soon! :-O
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Return to “Good Omens”