Good Omens Question #22 - It's Not The End Of The World

by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Good Omens Question #22 - It's Not The End Of The World

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:12 am

What do you think of Gaiman and Pratchett’s approach to avoiding the Apocalypse?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:01 pm

I thought it was very creative – that the chain of events leading to the inevitable end of the world were stopped by a little boy who exercised his free will and basically just said "Now, wait a minute."

Shocked the heck out of all those angels and demons who were convinced that Armageddon was unstoppable.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:10 pm

Out of the mouth of babes???
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:24 pm

It was one of the questions I kept wondering about as I read the book and the appocalypse, and all the signs, were coming closer and closer. How are they going to get out of this one? :perplexed: I thought it went a bit far for people not to notice something was up in the world, but then if you don't take much exception to krakens falling out of the sky :-O I suppose a little thing like the end of the world might slip by? :lol: I do agree, theresa and Raven, that having Adam (who for me represented mankind) exercise his free will and go against the code was the way to do it. To go back to an earlier question, that part of the story and the part about Adam and the apples from yesterday's question, was a lot like a fable. Nicely done! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:59 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:It was one of the questions I kept wondering about as I read the book and the appocalypse, and all the signs, were coming closer and closer. How are they going to get out of this one? :perplexed: I thought it went a bit far for people not to notice something was up in the world, but then if you don't take much exception to krakens falling out of the sky :-O I suppose a little thing like the end of the world might slip by? :lol: I do agree, theresa and Raven, that having Adam (who for me represented mankind) exercise his free will and go against the code was the way to do it. To go back to an earlier question, that part of the story and the part about Adam and the apples from yesterday's question, was a lot like a fable. Nicely done! :cool:

That's a good way of putting it--that he represents mankind--I have to agree with that. What I was wondering about was whether there were Krakens falling out of the sky in other countries too.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:16 pm

It seems to me that the Apocalypse has always been portrayed as an inevitable event brought on by God's will and at the time of God's choosing. This story seems to place the responsibility on humans and in human control. We can choose to destroy our home (earth/each other) or we can make choices that facilitate life.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:20 pm

KYwoman wrote:It seems to me that the Apocalypse has always been portrayed as an inevitable event brought on by God's will and at the time of God's choosing. This story seems to place the responsibility on humans and in human control. We can choose to destroy our home (earth/each other) or we can make choices that facilitate life.

I agree that Gaiman and Pratchett appear to put it on us, as humans. And I do think we play a big part in it. But that could be just part of the Ineffable Plan.

Return to “Good Omens”