Good Omens Question #21 ~ Forbidden Fruit

by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Good Omens Question #21 ~ Forbidden Fruit

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:03 am

Pg. 366 (paperback) 368 (hardback). “Adam looked up. Above him hung an old apple tree, gnarled and heavy. It might have been there since the dawn of time. Its boughs were bent with the weight of apples, small and green and unripe.

With the speed of a striking cobra the boy was up the tree. He returned to the ground seconds later with his pockets bulging, munching noisily on a tart and perfect apple.

‘Hey! You! Boy!”, came a gruff voice from behind him. ‘You’re that Adam Young! I can see you! I’ll tell your father about you, you see if I don’t!’

Parental retribution was now a certainty, thought Adam, as he bolted, his dog by his side, his pockets stuffed with stolen fruit.

It always was. But it wouldn’t be till this evening.

And this evening, was a long way off.

He threw the apple core back in the general direction of his pursuer, and he reached into a pocket for another.

He couldn’t see why people made such a fuss about people eating their silly old fruit anyway, but life would be a lot less fun if they didn’t. And there never was an apple, in Adam’s opinion, that wasn’t worth the trouble you got into for eating it.”

How do you interpret this passage? Do you agree with Adam?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:39 pm

I just loved this and certainly took it as a reference to the Garden of Eden! ("It might have been there since the dawn of time.") For Adam to feel that "there never was an apple that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it" must mean that it was just fine that the original Adam went ahead and took a bite of that forbidden fruit. I'm not sure if the gruff voice refers to God or if Adam's father does, but he knows there will be retribution and is willing to take it---that kind of makes life fun.
Do I agree with him? Hmmmnn.... I'm more of a chicken than Adam and do try to be a Goody-Good but must admit that life with everybody being perfect angels could be pretty booooooring.... So is that what heaven is like???? :eyebrow:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Gypsylee

Unread postby Gypsylee » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:28 pm

Some passages I read and just don't have an opinion about. I don't know if I agree with him or not. It does add an element of excitement to life to see if you can get away with something. You have to weigh the consequences in each situation though.
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:52 pm

I think you have to weigh the consequences, too, Gypsylee, or look at the severity of the offense. We are all tempted to have what we aren’t supposed to have, I suppose. It’s like when you are on a diet, you want that fattening food more than if you were allowed to have as much as you want. I have been a goody two shoes myself most of my life. I don’t like getting in trouble. :freaked:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:36 pm

This was one of my favorite passages in the book! (I didn't post it on the favorite passages thread because I knew it was coming up as a question... :blush: )

Betty Sue I agree that this passage is definitely meant to symbolize the Garden of Eden. My thought is Adam was meant to symbolize mankind in general as the expression of free will and imagination. He takes not just one apple but stuffs his pockets and then thumbs his nose at authority as he runs down the road to discover what is around the bend. He knows he will be in trouble later in the day but sees that as the price worth paying to test the limits. I once had a boss who had a favorite saying...It's always easier to get forgivness than permission.
:capnjack:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:54 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:This was one of my favorite passages in the book! (I didn't post it on the favorite passages thread because I knew it was coming up as a question... :blush: )

Betty Sue I agree that this passage is definitely meant to symbolize the Garden of Eden. My thought is Adam was meant to symbolize mankind in general as the expression of free will and imagination. He takes not just one apple but stuffs his pockets and then thumbs his nose at authority as he runs down the road to discover what is around the bend. He knows he will be in trouble later in the day but sees that as the price worth paying to test the limits. I once had a boss who had a favorite saying...It's always easier to get forgivness than permission.
:capnjack:

Like that quote, DITHOT! I might have to tuck that one away for future use.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:45 pm

No risk, no reward.

I think this passage also suggests a faith in mankind to evolve, adapt and forgive transgression. Rules and boundaries are meant to be tested. Sometimes a little piracy keeps everyone more honest.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:05 pm

I think it all depends on how bad the apple is that you are taking.

I agree with what everyone has said, weighing out the consequenses and sometimes piracy is the right path. hehe

I think this goes back to another point that was made in another question. Just because someone says this is what you should do does not always make it so.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:21 pm

Twilight Zone music, please.
The question reminded me of a poem by Leigh Hunt, which I googled and found on this website--
http://www.sugarboy.co.uk/acatalog/In_P ... weets.html
Is there a message bar across the top, telling things like "We sell marzipan teacakes"? Keep watching for the one that made my jaw drop. ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory--we supplied the sweets!")

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:12 pm

Why are the apples "small and green and unripe" in the first paragraph and "tart and perfect" in the second? Are unripe apples perfect?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:25 pm

Good question, Fansmom. :-? I guess it depends on how you like your apples. I like mine less ripe, and the same with bananas.

Here are some synonyms for the words in question here:

unripe – immature, green, young, fresh

ripe – mature, ready, grown, seasoned, developed

perfect – ideal, just right, just what the doctor ordered, faultless

I’m thinking maybe it is a reference to being “fresh” or “young” as in this definition of unripe. Maybe you are faultless if you are innocent. If you are ripe, you are seasoned and savvy. You know then if you are committing a sin or not, as did Adam and Eve, and, in this case, Adam.

BTW I get page "cannot be displayed" when trying to access that link above.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:44 pm

The poem I was looking for--

Stolen sweets are always sweeter;
Stolen kisses much completer;
Stolen looks are nice in chapels;
Stolen, stolen be your apples.

James Leigh Hunt, [Fairies' Song , 1830]

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:52 pm

Thanks, Fansmom. Cute poem!

These TZ moments seem to happen to you quite frequently. It must be part of that Ineffable Plan, as it relates to you and those with whom you come in contact.
:-O

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:09 pm

I will just add one more thing, an unripe apple is a sign you are impatient. We climbed trees as children and ate any apple that was big enough to take a bite, green be damned!

And sometimes we got more then just a tummy ache for our efforts. :rotflmao:
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:55 pm

Liz wrote:Thanks, Fansmom. Cute poem!

These TZ moments seem to happen to you quite frequently. It must be part of that Ineffable Plan, as it relates to you and those with whom you come in contact.
:-O
Or do I just tell about the TZ moments, while everyone else has them and just doesn't feel compelled to announce them? :lol:

Return to “Good Omens”