Good Omens Question #16 ~ "Uncivilization"

by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Moderator: Liz

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:59 pm

Absolutely true statement from the authors.

People were very kind to evacuees from Katrina in many parts of the country. And hundreds of incredibly selfless people descended on the Gulf Coast to help residents with food, medical needs, and to clean-up and rebuild--including the Rainbow Tribe.

But on the other hand, electronics stores, shoe and clothing stores, and liquor stores WERE looted, drugstores were broken into and narcotics stolen, any people did prey on the more helpless.

And in some neary communities where refugees doubled the population, there was real resentment and unpleasantness about traffic snarls, no fresh food in stores, and .....no ladies underwear in any Wal-Mart.

It's like everything else in life, and like our book. Good and evil exist simultaneously, and sometimes one or the other comes to the fore. Our job as people is to try to make every act a good one.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:28 pm

stroch, I know you are speaking from personal experience regarding the New Orleans situation. There will always be people who take advantage of any situation in order to help themselves to whatever they can get away with. We sheltered some evaucees where I work and we had many different types of people. I hope in the end the good will outweigh the bad and New Orleans will survive this catastrophe.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Good Omens”