Good Omens Question #15 ~ You've Got the Power

by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Good Omens Question #15 ~ You've Got the Power

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:28 am

Pg.337 (paperback) 339 (hardback). Adam thinks about his powers and how he could use them… Anathema tells Adam, “Think of all the things you could do! Good things!...you could bring all the whales back, to start with.” “No, I reckon I’m getting the hang of this now. Once I start messing around like that, there’d be no stoppin’ it. Seems to me, the only sensible thing is for people to know if they kill a whale, they’ve got a dead whale.”

Can people be relied on to make the right choices? What would you do with Adam’s powers?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 am

Can people be relied on to make the right choices? Relied on? No,.........I wish!!! If I had his powers, I know I should do as he did, but I think I would have to insure every child a good childhood before I let free will take its course.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:37 am

What a nice thought, Betty Sue! It would be an awesome and tempting responsibility to have that sort of power!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Morning ladies,

after giving this question some thought, I realized it was alot like the movie Bruce Almighty. Jim Carey's character had the chance to play god for awhile and it was a mess at times, though good for him also. (funny movie and I recommend it).

Anyway, people cannot make the right choices because we cannot see the whole picture. We only see what is right in front of us, or what will help us out. Everyday we as people make choices that will make our life easier, and forget that the choice we make may not be good for us as a species. For example, it I am to lazy to recycle that plastic bottle, and I throw it in the trash, is that a good decision?

The whale question is a big one for folks here in the Pacific northwest, and if it isn' it should be. If I bring back some of the Killer Whales, then I need to bring back the food for them, Salmon, that will bring out the fishermen who are in desperate need of salmon fishing to live (no salmon this year). The Salmon need food also, the food the salmon live on, smaller fish need food also, planketon is the bottom rung on the fish food ladder, no planketon no fish. So I fix the whale problem by fixing the fish food problem which fixes the mess that human created in the first place and the humans reap all the rewards for my efforts.
And would humans actually own up to the problem? Not until they feel the sting themselves.

I am climbing down from my :soapbox:

Raven, warm and dry in the sunny Pacific Northwest!
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:40 pm

That's interesting, Raven, how intertwined it all becomes, it isn't just a matter of the whales alone. It reminds me of the saying "Think globally, act locally". In general, I think people tend to ignore problems until it has a direct and negative effect on their life. Like Adam, I'm not sure fixing the problem would teach them anything or create any solutions.

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:58 pm

When I read that passage in the book, I was amazed at Adam's wisdom. I think he is right, that meddling in the whale situation would only make matters worse in the long run.

Of course people can't be relied on to make the right choices! they have that whole human thing going on, the kind of stuff Crowley talks about how they do worse things to themselves than he can even dream up. I think in the long run there is a Master Plan in place for how things function, and if you try to upset that plan, someplace along the way something else will become unbalanced. That may be how the whale situation happened in the first place, but forcing the pendulum the other way is a tricky business because there are so many details involved.

Having power and having wisdom to use it wisely are not necessarily linked. If I had that power, I would hope to use it just the way Adam did.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:05 pm

nebraska wrote... Having power and having wisdom to use it wisely are not necessarily linked.

So true, so true! :banghead:

Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:07 pm

I, too, was so impressed with Adam's decision not to interfere with anything. (Well, his tweaking of A's bookshop collection, etc., can't really be chalked up to deliberate changes. . . ;-) ) I know I do tend to think that if I could change this or that or the other, everything would be so much better. But it goes back to those butterfly wings, continents away . . . one small tweak here and there goes that and here comes this and oh my, oh my! I wouldn't want the responsibility. I really liked the way they had Adam make his decisions at the end.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:29 am

Hi Noodlemantras. :wave: I'm checking in briefly here from the 2nd Happiest Place on Earth (The Zone is the happiest). Tomorrow I get to go on the POTC ride for the first time since it added CJS. :bounce:

So back to the question, which is too heavy for me while on vacation. But I'll try to answer it. I don't think people can be relied on to make the right choices. But I also think that is the way of human nature. I've learned to accept it. If I were Adam I would use my powers to effect world peace. I would get involved in the ongoing battles in the Middle East and try to make them think rationally because I guess I think that those involved can't make the right choices.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:13 am

I don't think people can be relied upon to make the best decisions at all. But I do believe that we have to deal with the consequences of our actions, and that Adam is absolutely right when he says that people have to understand that if they kill a whale, then they have a dead whale. I also think he is right about people's life spans being too short to appreciate what they are doing to the enironment - although of course, there are exceptions to that, enough people to put it on the agenda, at least. For some, they won't sit up and take notice until it affects them obviously and directly. I think that the fact that he doesn't want that power, doesn't want to exercise that power, is right, that he is the right person in the right place. From what I have seen of folk, people who want power usually want it for the wrong reasons.
DIDHOT, I love that expression, think globally; act locally.
Liz, I am glad you are having a fantastic time.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:33 am

suec wrote: From what I have seen of folk, people who want power usually want it for the wrong reasons.

suec, that seems to be so true! There is usually some sort of personal agenda be it monetary, personal, political...

Liz, glad you are enjoying the trip! Say hi to Captain Jack for us!
:capnjack:

Wow! What a ride!

Gypsylee

Re: Good Omens Question #15 ~ You've Got the Power

Unread postby Gypsylee » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:37 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Can people be relied on to make the right choices? What would you do with Adam’s powers?

Relied on? No.

The only way bringing back the whale would work is if you went back in time so that all that is supposed to be there is there for the whale. As far as people learning from their mistakes so that the same thing doesn't happen again...........I have no faith. So what Adam did was the wisest.

Hey Liz! Did you have fun today at DL? How was Jack?
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:36 pm

No I dont think people can be relied upon. I think in a day t day living. the mojaority of us make good choices. But think about people who win the lotto & what happens to them. It most of the time ruins their lives. I think power changes people no matter what. It takes a strong willed person to stay grounded. I think that is one of the reasons I respect Johnny the most because all through this fame he stays true to where he came from.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:13 pm

Veronica wrote:No I dont think people can be relied upon. I think in a day t day living. the mojaority of us make good choices. But think about people who win the lotto & what happens to them. It most of the time ruins their lives. I think power changes people no matter what. It takes a strong willed person to stay grounded. I think that is one of the reasons I respect Johnny the most because all through this fame he stays true to where he came from.

Something we all admire about Johnny! Well said, V! :cloud9:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Good Omens”