Good Omens Question #12 - Connections

by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Good Omens Question #12 - Connections

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:23 am

Give an example of a connection you found in Good Omens to another ONBC book or Johnny movie or Johnny?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:55 am

Of course the first thing I thought of was the mention of the Kraken in the book (don't have the page #), which goes back to DMC. I'll have to spend some time thinking of other connections.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:06 am

Like KYwoman, Kraken came immediately to mind. Next thing that came to mind was--why didn't I keep track of the others? :banghead: Or have a memory? The racing around in the Bentley was reminiscent of FALILV. "Crowley had dark hair and good cheek bones..." (page 6) certainly connected him to Johnny in real life and almost every movie!
Good question! Will look forward to all the answers and try to find more myself later.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:07 am

There's the angels dancing on a pinhead discussion, which matches with Wilmot (but you gave that away earlier, and I think it was to force me to read the book to find it!)
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:58 am

One connection to Johnny's coolness is the sunglasses thing. On p 8 Hastur describes Crowley with "And he wears sunglasses. . . even when he dunt need to." And then on p 259 where Pigbog is explaining his Biker of the Repocalypse name of Really Cool People, "Yeah," said Cruelty to Animals, "An' they all wear sunglasses even when they dun't need 'em." :lol:
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:34 pm

Great connections so far! I kept thinking about The Ninth Gate when the story takes place in Aziraphale's bookstore. Something about the descriptions of the store and the old, musty smell of the books reminded me of parts of that movie. Also, when Aziraphale trys to summon his superiors in Heaven (pg 218, paperback) by the ritual of the chalked circle on the floor and the candles and saying "the Words", reminded me of the summoning of the Devil in The Ninth Gate.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:24 pm

Good catches so far, everyone! I had missed all of those, except for the Angels on a Pinhead and the Kraken, of course. Here's an Inamorata connection I found on pg. 266 in the hardback:

Mrs. Ormerod and Mr. Scroggie gave each other looks. Nothing like this had happened at Madame Tracy's previous sittings. Juila Petley was rapt. This was more like it. She hoped Madame Tracy was going to start manifesting ectoplasm next.
Last edited by Liz on Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Crowley reminded me of Sands often - furtive meetings and manipulations and manoeuvres, etc. But especially in the driving. I kept seeing the image of Sands at the wheel, smoking, with the spare arm leaning out of the window.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:10 pm

suec wrote:Crowley reminded me of Sands often - furtive meetings and manipulations and manoeuvres, etc. But especially in the driving. I kept seeing the image of Sands at the wheel, smoking, with the spare arm leaning out of the window.

I can see that, too, suec.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:45 pm

You guys have come up with the ones I thought of. There was something else rolling around in the back of my mind but it seems to have rolled right out... :banghead: Maybe it will roll back in? :-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:01 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: There was something else rolling around in the back of my mind but it seems to have rolled right out... :banghead: Maybe it will roll back in? :-)

Me, too, DITHOT, but I can't remember what it was, either -- Kerouac or Long Way Down or something like that it seems to me, but it escapes me now. I remember thinking at the time how odd (or wonderful) it was that all these things keep tying together.

I did locate a reference (on pages 241-2 of my copy) to Chivas Regal.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:15 pm

To me, Crowley was Captain Jack with a pitchfork and tail. (I saw Aziraphale as Elizabeth with a sex change and middle age spread… but that is another discussion.) JD has always described CJS as someone who could “dance between the raindrops,” and Crowley could certainly do that. But, when I came across this paragraph, it really blew me away, because I had just read a quote of Terry Rossio’s that was almost identical:

Good Omens, p. 280
Because, underneath it all, Crowley was an optimist. If there was one rock-hard certainty that had sustained him through the bad times—he thought briefly of the fourteenth century—then it was utter surety that he would come out on top; that the universe would look after him.

Terry Rossio on Captain Jack:
I see Jack as someone who has an odd and enormous faith in the world about him, because he has learned that all he must do is wait it out and eventually the world will come around to help him. No matter what trouble he get in, his confidence stems from the belief that if he creates enough chaos and just hangs around long enough, the world will cut him a break.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:21 am

dharma_bum wrote:To me, Crowley was Captain Jack with a pitchfork and tail. (I saw Aziraphale as Elizabeth with a sex change and middle age spread… but that is another discussion.) JD has always described CJS as someone who could “dance between the raindrops,” and Crowley could certainly do that. But, when I came across this paragraph, it really blew me away, because I had just read a quote of Terry Rossio’s that was almost identical:

Good Omens, p. 280
Because, underneath it all, Crowley was an optimist. If there was one rock-hard certainty that had sustained him through the bad times—he thought briefly of the fourteenth century—then it was utter surety that he would come out on top; that the universe would look after him.

Terry Rossio on Captain Jack:
I see Jack as someone who has an odd and enormous faith in the world about him, because he has learned that all he must do is wait it out and eventually the world will come around to help him. No matter what trouble he get in, his confidence stems from the belief that if he creates enough chaos and just hangs around long enough, the world will cut him a break.

Whoa! You are cracking me up and amazing me at the same time, Dharma. Interesting take on Aziraphale (and I won't disagree with you) and very good catch on the comparison between Crowley and CJS. It's amazing, really, the similarities between the descriptions of these two characters.

nebraska wrote: I did locate a reference (on pages 241-2 of my copy) to Chivas Regal.

Nebraska, I totally missed that one, too.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:27 am

Another connection to Inamorata....

Pg. 306 in the hardback:

R. P. Tyler just stared. Then he realized what was going on. The woman was a ventriloquist. What he had taken for a man in a green crash helmet, he now saw, was a ventriloquist's dummy. He wondered how he could ever have assumed it was human. He felt the whole thing was in vaguely bad taste.

And then on pg. 358 a reminder of Johnny on Leno....

"I mean, you can't just make an old Bentley," said Crowley. "You can't get the patina."

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:13 am

DB I loved the link that you made with :capnjack: !

Aziraphale to Crowley:
'I'd just like to say,' he said, 'if we don't get out of this, that... I'll have known, deep down inside, that there was a spark of goodness inside you.'
'That's right,' said Crowley bitterly. 'Make my day.'
That reminds me of something I'be seen recently...

Also, I was reminded of Rochester a few times. Not just because of the angels, but because of the Oxfordshire setting, and the historical references relevant to his lifetime. My favourite is the reference to the Sealed Knot acting out Civil War battles, mainly because my brother was in it when I was a girl... I have trailed around a few battle sites in my time!
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “Good Omens”