Good Omens Question #10 ~ Casting Call

by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Good Omens Question #10 ~ Casting Call

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:19 am

Who would you cast in the movie? We would love to see Johnny as Crowley, but who would be your other choice(s)? Pick any characters from the book and give us your casting ideas.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:01 am

I was thinking about this on my way to work and decided that, while I do like Robin Williams, I would much rather see Robert Downey Jr. play Aziraphale. I'd love to see him and Johnny together in something comedic. (Is that a word?)

I thought of Freddie Highmore for Adam, although Freddie may already be too grown up to play an 11-year-old. I also thought of Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson (from Harry Potter) for Newt and Anathema. Haven't come up with a Shadwell or Madame Tracy yet. Maybe Helena for Madame Tracy?

Just some thoughts to get started with.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:28 am

Bix, Robert Downey Jr. would make a perfect A. However, I can't get Robin out of my mind now.

I would like to see these two as Anathema and Newt. They had a lot of chemistry in Failure to Launch.

Zooey Deschanel

Justin Bartha

And maybe Helena Bonham Carter as Madame Tracy.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:36 am

I read somewhere recently, can't remember exactly where, that Robin was to have played multiple roles and I believe one was Madame Tracy! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:39 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I read somewhere recently, can't remember exactly where, that Robin was to have played multiple roles and I believe one was Madame Tracy! :lol:

I can see him in that role. :lol:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:41 am

I'm a complete :dunce: when it comes to casting, but what fun to picture your choices, Bix! I can't wipe the smile off my face picturing Johnny and Robert Downey, Jr. together! :bounce: Liz, I'm not familiar with your Anathema and Newt, but they're adorable. Okay, Robin as Madame Tracy. :-O
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:02 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I read somewhere recently, can't remember exactly where, that Robin was to have played multiple roles and I believe one was Madame Tracy! :lol:
Too funny, but I can see him in the role, too! Especially the scenes where Madame T and Aziraphale share the same body! I was going to suggest he might make a good Shadwell, but this is better!

I love your Anathema and Newt, Liz. They are so cute.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:53 pm

I can't picture anyone but Johnny and Robin in the two main roles. I am not familiar with the actors you pictured from Failure to Launch Liz, but they certainly look the parts, in my mind's eye. Having Robin play Aziraphale and Madame T would be perfect! Makes me laugh just thinking about it!
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:07 pm

I'd llike to see Mckenzie Crook (sp) as the witch detective, and the old witch hunter I kept imagining this old guy that was on a Sienfield episode as the Library detective that tracks down Jerry for a missing library book from high school. Don't know who he is, but he pops up in a bit parts once in a while.

Robin Williams of course...perfect..and Johnny is all I could imagine, especially in the beginning bar scene....

I pictured different actors in my heads throughout, but no big names though.

I think the part of Andy needs to be played by a sweet looking child...and it seems like all of the boy actors of recent years have grown up too much...He is only supposed to be 11, so his teeth would still be a bit awkward, etc.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:03 pm

Love the Mckenzie Crook idea, Charlene! I am terrible at casting. I can see faces but can't come up with the names to go with them!

Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:56 am

Well, since Robin and Johnny were mentioned for the leads, I can't picture anyone else for that those parts. I didn't realize that Robin might do Madame Tracy too!

The part of Adam might best be served by a little known or unknown actor. No preconceived notions that way. Not sure I can picture Freddy Highmore being the antichrist. lol

For the demon Hastur I was picturing Christopher Lee or Alan Rickman (Prof Snape in Harry Potter). I didn't think about M Crook, but he'd be good in a role too.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:49 pm

My casting skills are pretty meager. When Johnny has a new movie out, I usually go multiple times and then I don't go to a movie again until his next movie comes out.......and I watch very little television....... .so.............

I do love Alan Rickman because I saw him in the Harry Potter movies........very sexy guy in a strange sort of way in that role.......do you suppose he could transform some part of himself to the angel?
I kept trying to see Robin Williams as Aziraphale and it just didn't gel for me. I don't know why........I saw the angel as taller and more slender and more dignified......maybe a bit British? but I couldn't put any one in the role.

For me, it was Johnny as Crowley all the way, starting with (page 6 in my copy): "Crowley had dark hair and good cheekbones and he was wearing snakeskin shoes, or at least presumably he was wearing shoes, and he could do really weird things with his tongue. And , whenever he forgot himself, he had a tendency to hiss." and then to page 7 "Crowley sighed, took one had from the wheel, and, half turning, made a complicated gesture over his shoulder." Yes, shades of Sands there! And the tongue thing, Johnny's portrayal of Hunter in FALILV. Johnny WAS Crowley to me. He could do it all -- the evil, the humor, the befuddlement. All of it!!!!!

But sorry, I am just not much help on the rest of the cast.........

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:12 pm

nebraska, I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to casting. For me, Johnny is Crowley and that's it. It will take some convincing for me to see anyone else in that role, but I'll give whoeveritmaybe a chance. :rolleyes:

I have also become cemented to the idea of Robin Williams as A. I heard his voice all through the book. However I had not thought of a British accent for the character (all apologies to our :uk: friends :blush: ) but I definitely like the idea! :cool: I'm just terrible at names.
:dunce:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:19 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:nebraska, I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to casting. For me, Johnny is Crowley and that's it. It will take some convincing for me to see anyone else in that role, but I'll give whoeveritmaybe a chance. :rolleyes:

I have also become cemented to the idea of Robin Williams as A. I heard his voice all through the book. However I had not thought of a British accent for the character (all apologies to our :uk: friends :blush: ) but I definitely like the idea! :cool: I'm just terrible at names.
:dunce:

I know what you mean about the British accent. I felt they should all be British. But I just don't know that many British actors.

How about Kevin McNally for Shadwell?

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:23 pm

I'm absolutely horrible at casting --

But couldn't you just see Iggy Pop as one of the Other Bikers of the Apocalypse? Doesn't really matter which one, maybe Skuzz, a.k.a. Grievous Bodily Harm.

Return to “Good Omens”