Good Omens Question #9 - It's the Little Things....

by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Good Omens Question #9 - It's the Little Things....

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:03 am

Pg. 136 (hardback) 132 (paperback). “It used to be thought that the events that changed the world were things like big bombs, maniac politicians, huge earthquakes, or vast population movements, but it has now been realized that this is a very old-fashioned view held by people totally out of touch with modern thought. The things that really change the world, according to Chaos theory, are the tiny things. A butterfly flaps its wings in the Amazonian jungle, and subsequently a storm ravages half of Europe.“

Do you think Gaiman and Pratchett are trying to foretell something in the story here? Do you think it was a little thing that changed the outcome of the story? Do you agree with this theory?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:19 pm

Well, this question is truly mind-boggling! :eyebrow: I wasn't even going to attempt to answer is, but someone has to get this started... I do believe that tiny things can change the world. We all know a child's world can be changed by whether he is sent off for the day with a kind word or a terrible fight. The bible tells us there is sin in the world simply because Adam bit into the apple. Armageddon might have occurred in our story if the nuns hadn't misinterpreted each other at the baby switcheroo. So I think a little thing affected the end of this story. Adam could still allow Armageddon at this point but wants to please Anathema (a small point)so (subconsciously, I guess) puts an end to the planned destruction. Not sure on the foreshadowing... :dunce:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:38 pm

Betty Sue wrote:Well, this question is truly mind-boggling! :eyebrow: I wasn't even going to attempt to answer is, but someone has to get this started... I do believe that tiny things can change the world. We all know a child's world can be changed by whether he is sent off for the day with a kind word or a terrible fight. The bible tells us there is sin in the world simply because Adam bit into the apple. Armageddon might have occurred in our story if the nuns hadn't misinterpreted each other at the baby switcheroo. So I think a little thing affected the end of this story. Adam could still allow Armageddon at this point but wants to please Anathema (a small point)so (subconsciously, I guess) puts an end to the planned destruction. Not sure on the foreshadowing... :dunce:

Sorry. You know me. :capnjack: But thanks for getting us started, Betty Sue. :thumbsup: :disco:

Very good points about the two Adams. I believe that everything happens for a reason--which usually means a series of small events leading up to something more significant. Because I've seen it in my life, I believe it is true.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:54 pm

Liz wrote:
Betty Sue wrote:Well, this question is truly mind-boggling! :eyebrow: I wasn't even going to attempt to answer is, but someone has to get this started... I do believe that tiny things can change the world. We all know a child's world can be changed by whether he is sent off for the day with a kind word or a terrible fight. The bible tells us there is sin in the world simply because Adam bit into the apple. Armageddon might have occurred in our story if the nuns hadn't misinterpreted each other at the baby switcheroo. So I think a little thing affected the end of this story. Adam could still allow Armageddon at this point but wants to please Anathema (a small point)so (subconsciously, I guess) puts an end to the planned destruction. Not sure on the foreshadowing... :dunce:

Sorry. You know me. :capnjack: But thanks for getting us started, Betty Sue. :thumbsup: :disco:

Very good points about the two Adams. I believe that everything happens for a reason--which usually means a series of small events leading up to something more significant. Because I've seen it in my life, I believe it is true.

Most definately! firm believer in everything happens for a reason & If its not ok in the end then its not the end,
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:10 pm

My understanding of chaos theory is there is no plan (ineffable or otherwise) and things happen at random with no defined pattern or reason why. I don't know if I believe that but I definitely believe the little things can make a huge difference! One example in my life, that I am sure many of you can relate to, is going to see POTC1 for the first time. That one act of buying a movie ticket has brought so many changes in my life it is hard to fathom. I can't say that I have changed the world by buying that movie ticket buy my own world has been vastly changed! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:50 pm

Wow, DITHOT, what an excellent example of how a small thing brings about great change! :toastingpirates: That first Pirates movie ticket really changed my life also. And I do think we then have in some small ways affected the world at large for the better. The JDZ birthday project is a good example.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:58 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:My understanding of chaos theory is there is no plan (ineffable or otherwise) and things happen at random with no defined pattern or reason why. I don't know if I believe that but I definitely believe the little things can make a huge difference! One example in my life, that I am sure many of you can relate to, is going to see POTC1 for the first time. That one act of buying a movie ticket has brought so many changes in my life it is hard to fathom. I can't say that I have changed the world by buying that movie ticket buy my own world has been vastly changed! :cool:

I think we all can say that DITHOT! I cant imagine life without you ladies now. :grouphug:

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Bix wrote:Wow, DITHOT, what an excellent example of how a small thing brings about great change! :toastingpirates: That first Pirates movie ticket really changed my life also. And I do think we then have in some small ways affected the world at large for the better. The JDZ birthday project is a good example.

yes and I have been involved in another birthday project last year that another Johnny site was doing. A Book Drive. We donated books to abuse shelters for kids to take home. Not to mention all the enrichment my life has gained in finding out about people like HST, Greg Roberts,.... the list goes on.

I could go on & on about things in my life that have happened just because of little circumstances.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:59 pm

Veronica wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:My understanding of chaos theory is there is no plan (ineffable or otherwise) and things happen at random with no defined pattern or reason why. I don't know if I believe that but I definitely believe the little things can make a huge difference! One example in my life, that I am sure many of you can relate to, is going to see POTC1 for the first time. That one act of buying a movie ticket has brought so many changes in my life it is hard to fathom. I can't say that I have changed the world by buying that movie ticket buy my own world has been vastly changed! :cool:

I think we all can say that DITHOT! I cant imagine life without you ladies now. :grouphug:

Nor can I, V. :grouphug:

I know watching that little movie has affected my life. I never saw it coming. And I'm glad you used it as an example, DITHOT. But I wouldn't term it as chaos. So although, I believe that little unexpected things can affect people's personal lives, change the course of history, or bring about physical changes in the universe, I do believe that those little things are part of a larger plan. I have no scientific basis for this belief--just faith.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:38 pm

I think the butterfly/storm example might be a little over the top, but I do think life is a series of little things that bring about great change. A smile, a word of kindness, can cause a ripple effect. I am pleasant to my husband when he goes to work so he is nicer to his workers because he feels good, and the workers get more accomplished because the boss is in a good mood and he makes them feel good about their work, and that makes the client happy who then recommends said husband for next job.......I guess the whole ripple effect theory is what I am thinking of, that one small happening can grow as it is passed on and affects the next thing that happens, sometimes in bigger ways. Most of us live lives that are a series of small daily events.....the big things, like getting married or giving birth or saving an accident victim from a burning vehicle don't happen very often. But doing the laundry or leaving a tip for a waitress.....those are daily events that matter.

ONBC, and all the ideas and information in the books I have read (not to mention the awesome tidbits!) that I never would have picked up otherwise, and the club members who have shared their knowledge and their insights and the experience with me, these are things that have changed something about me in the core of my being, and that has no doubt spilled over into other areas of my life.

Yes, I agree with the statement......but I still think the butterfly/storm example is a little over the top.

Gypsylee

Re: Good Omens Question #9 - It's the Little Things....

Unread postby Gypsylee » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:11 am

Liz wrote:Pg. 136 (hardback) 132 (paperback). “It used to be thought that the events that changed the world were things like big bombs, maniac politicians, huge earthquakes, or vast population movements, but it has now been realized that this is a very old-fashioned view held by people totally out of touch with modern thought. The things that really change the world, according to Chaos theory, are the tiny things. A butterfly flaps its wings in the Amazonian jungle, and subsequently a storm ravages half of Europe.“

Do you think Gaiman and Pratchett are trying to foretell something in the story here? Do you think it was a little thing that changed the outcome of the story? Do you agree with this theory?

I think it was the little thing (baby switching) in the beginning of the story that changed the outcome, yes.

I also believe in the butterfly effect. I don't think it is chaos though. I think back on the day my son asked me to go see POTC 1. His selling point was "Johnny Depp is in it." I'm like, so????? I went, I saw, and no one will dispute my life took a different course since that first sighting. But I don't think chaos rules the world. It's like a big jigsaw puzzle. We can only see each individual tiny piece, but there is a big picture being created.

ADDENDUM:
Funny, I answered this question before reading your responses. I see we were all pretty much on the same page as far as POTC1 !
"In the time of your life, live....so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it." Saroyan

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Good Omens Question #9 - It's the Little Things....

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:39 pm

Gypsylee wrote: But I don't think chaos rules the world. It's like a big jigsaw puzzle. We can only see each individual tiny piece, but there is a big picture being created.

I like the analogy to a jigsaw puzzle, Gypsylee. And many times we don't see how all those pieces fit together until many years later--or maybe never.

MommaDeppLover

Unread postby MommaDeppLover » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:40 pm

Hello Ladies,

May I jump in?... It's so nice to read such interesting thoughts....

Chaos or small events...

Summer of 2003 was completing in CHAOS for me...I HATED life...

Then POTC1 came in...And my life has never been the same... Finding Johnny, then The Zone....Well, I know that I can't imagine
my life without this place to come to everyday.... and Johnny...
Because of him, the kind person that he is, attracts allll of you to this great community of friends....

So maybe because of the chaos that was in my life back in 2003,
prepared me to accept the small touch of that BUTTERFLY to change my life and opened my heart and my eyes to the wonders of Johnny and opened my life to the people I've met here on The Zone....

oh, I feel a
:grouphug: coming on!!! :bounce: :blush:
Dadadadadada.... and really bad eggs

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:49 pm

MommaDeppLover wrote:Hello Ladies,

May I jump in?... It's so nice to read such interesting thoughts....

Chaos or small events...

Summer of 2003 was completing in CHAOS for me...I HATED life...

Then POTC1 came in...And my life has never been the same... Finding Johnny, then The Zone....Well, I know that I can't imagine
my life without this place to come to everyday.... and Johnny...
Because of him, the kind person that he is, attracts allll of you to this great community of friends....

So maybe because of the chaos that was in my life back in 2003,
prepared me to accept the small touch of that BUTTERFLY to change my life and opened my heart and my eyes to the wonders of Johnny and opened my life to the people I've met here on The Zone....

oh, I feel a
:grouphug: coming on!!! :bounce: :blush:

And a big :grouphug: back at ya, MommaDeppLover. Jump in anytime. You are always :welcome: here. Thanks for sharing your chaos theory with us. I like it. :cool:

MommaDeppLover

Unread postby MommaDeppLover » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:49 pm

Hi Liz,

Thank you for your nice words.... :cool:
Dadadadadada.... and really bad eggs

Return to “Good Omens”