Good Omens Question #5 ~ What's in a Name?

by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:59 pm

DITHOT, I missed the dog/God connection, too.......good observation!

The creepy crawley snake thing made Crowley's name stick in my mind so well and I never could figure out why the angel didn't have an easy name, too.. Does the fansite tell where that name came from?

Anathema. I totally loved the name......I finally looked up the meaning (this book was a good book to read with a dictionary at side) . It just has such a sweet rolling sound no matter what the real meaning of the word is, and it seemed to me that she was anything but ....well, an anathema!

And the four motocycle riders, hilarious. Yes, loved that, too.

But mostly I don't really "get" this stuff until somebody explains it to me, and then I feel really wise and smug because I am so smart. :blush:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:12 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
KYwoman wrote: What, no fansite for Crowley??

Go figure! :perplexed:

I'm not so sure about that......

http://www.boukenshin.net/crowley/oranges.php

DITHOT, I pronounce Aziraphale as:

Ăz-er - ŭ-fāle

Stroch, I kept thinking of Lucifer, too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:24 pm

nebraska wrote: The creepy crawley snake thing made Crowley's name stick in my mind so well and I never could figure out why the angel didn't have an easy name, too.. Does the fansite tell where that name came from?

Nebraska, this is from Wikipedia:

Concerning the character's name, Pratchett says "It was made up, but from real ingredients." Aziraphale's name is an anglicisation of Aziraphael, and from the Hebrew elements we can glean that his name means "God heals my Strength."
On the pronunciation, he says, "It should be Azz-ear-raf-AE-el, but we got into the habit of pronouncing it Azz-ear-raf-ail, so I guess that's the right way now."

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:38 pm

"Old Adam" used to be slang for the devilish side of someone--as in "He has a lot of Old Adam in him." I just figured Adam Young was the corollary to that.

When Sister Mary is asking Mr. Young what names he’s thinking of for the baby, she suggests Damien (the Antichrist in The Omen) or Wormwood. Wormwood is the apprentice demon’s name in C. S. Lewis’s The Screwtape Letters.

Saint Beryl Articulatus of Cracow and her Chattering Order—I don’t think there’s really a saint named Beryl, but in the original 1967 movie version of “Bedazzled,” which is a fantastically funny movie, there is a nun named Beryl who starts an order of nuns who leap on trampolines. (“Off we go sisters, leaping in the air, leap in the name of Beryl. . . ”)

Wensleydale (Adam’s friend) is a cheese and a town in Yorkshire, but also a character in a Monty Python sketch (the cheese shop with no cheese), and I’d guess the authors know their Python well.

Even the names made me laugh.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:08 pm

fansmom wrote:"Old Adam" used to be slang for the devilish side of someone--as in "He has a lot of Old Adam in him." I just figured Adam Young was the corollary to that.

When Sister Mary is asking Mr. Young what names he’s thinking of for the baby, she suggests Damien (the Antichrist in The Omen) or Wormwood. Wormwood is the apprentice demon’s name in C. S. Lewis’s The Screwtape Letters.

Saint Beryl Articulatus of Cracow and her Chattering Order—I don’t think there’s really a saint named Beryl, but in the original 1967 movie version of “Bedazzled,” which is a fantastically funny movie, there is a nun named Beryl who starts an order of nuns who leap on trampolines. (“Off we go sisters, leaping in the air, leap in the name of Beryl. . . ”)

Wensleydale (Adam’s friend) is a cheese and a town in Yorkshire, but also a character in a Monty Python sketch (the cheese shop with no cheese), and I’d guess the authors know their Python well.

Even the names made me laugh.

Good catches, there, Fansmom. :thumbsup:

I had never heard the expression "Old Adam" before. You learn something new every day.

Sister Mary Loquacious was from the Chattering Order--loquacious means very talkative.

I looked up Wensleydale today and saw the cheese connection but still am not up on my Monty Python facts so didn't get the connection to them. I have not seen a one. :blush: But it is on my list this weekend to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:24 pm

Liz wrote:Sister Mary Loquacious was from the Chattering Order--loquacious means very talkative.
As does Voluble, in Sister Grace Voluble. And I figured Sister Beryl Articulatus was, well, articulate.

Liz wrote:I looked up Wensleydale today and saw the cheese connection but still am not up on my Monty Python facts so didn't get the connection to them. I have not seen a one. :blush: But it is on my list this weekend to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Wait, you've never seen any Monty Python? None?! :shocked: :yikes:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:37 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:Sister Mary Loquacious was from the Chattering Order--loquacious means very talkative.
As does Voluble, in Sister Grace Voluble. And I figured Sister Beryl Articulatus was, well, articulate.

Liz wrote:I looked up Wensleydale today and saw the cheese connection but still am not up on my Monty Python facts so didn't get the connection to them. I have not seen a one. :blush: But it is on my list this weekend to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Wait, you've never seen any Monty Python? None?! :shocked: :yikes:

I'm a virgin. :bride:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:10 pm

Liz wrote:[
I looked up Wensleydale today and saw the cheese connection but still am not up on my Monty Python facts so didn't get the connection to them. I have not seen a one. :blush: But it is on my list this weekend to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.[/color][/b]

Oh, my gosh, Liz, no Python in your past?????? :banghead: You are in for quite a treat, I think................I hope! Python may take a special warped mind to understand, but oh! how my family used to love it when it was on PBS.

Let's see, the Holy Grail, isn't that the one where the Black Knight fights?? ROFL just remembering!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:12 pm

[quote="fansmom"]"

named Beryl who starts an order of nuns who leap on trampolines. (“Off we go sisters, leaping in the air, leap in the name of Beryl. . . ”)

Even the names made me laugh./quote]

When I read about Wormword I was reminded of the character in the Harry Potter series. Actually, I found several phrases/names/words that "clicked" with Harry Potter and added some meaning to those books.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:14 pm

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote:[
I looked up Wensleydale today and saw the cheese connection but still am not up on my Monty Python facts so didn't get the connection to them. I have not seen a one. :blush: But it is on my list this weekend to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.[/color][/b]

Oh, my gosh, Liz, no Python in your past?????? :banghead: You are in for quite a treat, I think................I hope! Python may take a special warped mind to understand, but oh! how my family used to love it when it was on PBS.

Let's see, the Holy Grail, isn't that the one where the Black Knight fights?? ROFL just remembering!

I know I would not have been ready for MP in their hey day. But my mind has opened since then and my tastes have changed. So I can't wait, really. :bounce:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:27 pm

So Liz, you didn't even recognize the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition photo on an earlier thread?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:31 pm

fansmom wrote:So Liz, you didn't even recognize the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition photo on an earlier thread?

Busted!

I knew I was going to regret admitting my lack of MP knowledge. :blush: Let's just say I thought it was funny for another reason and leave at that. :lol:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:34 pm

Better late than never, Liz. Enjoy! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:40 pm

You guys are too smart for me today.

I thought Pulsifer could be a play on Parsifal who was the Arthurian knight (also known as Percivale) who went on the quest for the Holy Grail. This from kingarthurknights.com : "Parsifal is presented initially as a fool, but is pure enough to heal the wounded Fisher King and to become himself the keeper of the Grail."
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:24 am

I'm not so sure about that......

Click here to open link in new window.

I should have googled it! lol Thanks Liz, I'll have to read more later.

Go watch some MP.....now!!!! Holy Grail is a good start. Enjoy! :cool:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Return to “Good Omens”