Chocolat Question #29 - Roux & Roux

by Joanne Harris

Moderator: Liz

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:47 am

I found book Roux to be very wooden..a bit like that door, film Roux kept trying to fix :-O ..So many of the other characters like Reynaud and Armande had many layers in the book..I guess I expected more from book Roux after seeing the film..was kind of disappointing in a way..I thought he was the weakest charcter in the book..It makes me appreciate Johnny's genius even more :cloud9:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:31 am

gilly wrote:I found book Roux to be very wooden..a bit like that door, film Roux kept trying to fix :-O ..So many of the other characters like Reynaud and Armande had many layers in the book..I guess I expected more from book Roux after seeing the film..was kind of disappointing in a way..I thought he was the weakest charcter in the book..It makes me appreciate Johnny's genius even more :cloud9:

I don't think the movie would have been as successful if Roux had been played like the book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:10 am

You're right Liz,the movie would have been completely different if book Roux and movie Roux were the same..I found the book darker in tone than the movie and the way Roux was portrayed by Johnny reflected this.lighter approach..Book Roux just didn't have the depth that some of the other characters had...Also,I much preferred book Vianne to movie Vianne, but I thought Judi Dench did a wonderful job as Armande..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:10 pm

We have an accord on all counts, gilly. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Chocolat”