Chocolat Question #21 - On the Way to Church

by Joanne Harris

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Chocolat Question #21 - On the Way to Church

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:29 am

On pg. 135 we see through Vianne’s eyes the parishioners heading to Church on Sunday morning. What was the purpose of this scene?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:52 pm

What is the purpose? One purpose? I can see several.

I think one of the purposes is to emphasize her role as an outsider. At the beginning of the scene, she even sees herself from outside her perspective.

The next sentences contrast Vianne with Reynaud, as we discussed in an earlier thread. As she sees him, she is a billowing splash of red, contrasting dramatically with his black clothing and "the bleached whiteness of his face." She is breathless, expectant, cheery, defiant. He is resentful, clenched, staring.

The scene also points out that Vianne is a catalyst. As she watches the parishioners, she sees that they are beginning to resemble her. The children are kites, as she was. Luc is smiling, as she was. Josephine is defiant, as she is. Guillame is carrying on, in spite of death, as she did. Narcisse is literally stopping to smell the flowers.

At the top of the next page, she is again contrasted with Reynaud.

Enough? :blush:

Oh, by the way, I'm at work, but Amazon let me "search inside this book" by page number. Zowie! :bounce:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:34 pm

That is a pretty cool feature at Amazon, fansmom! :cool: Thanks for pointing that out, especially for those of us that keep forgetting to bring our books to work with us! :blush:

I just read that passage again and Vianne is looking in from outside and noticing change. It contrasts nicely with the next passage where Reynaud has exerted some of his control during the service. After the service the parishoners are afraid to come into her shop and Josephine sneaks in quickly to warn her Reynaud has been preaching against her and the river people and asks her to warn them to leave. More yin and yang and a nice use of color imagery as well.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:57 pm

Excellent points, fansmom and DITHOT. I don't have much to add, except that perhaps the scene lets us see that Vianne is not quite so much the complete outsider anymore. She knows many people's names and knows things about them. And, when she exults in the spring wind blowing her fears away and says "some of this new courage seems to have infused the people of Lansquenet", I think she may be acknowledging the beginnings of change in herself, also.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:14 pm

Bix wrote:Excellent points, fansmom and DITHOT. I don't have much to add, except that perhaps the scene lets us see that Vianne is not quite so much the complete outsider anymore. She knows many people's names and knows things about them. And, when she exults in the spring wind blowing her fears away and says "some of this new courage seems to have infused the people of Lansquenet", I think she may be acknowledging the beginnings of change in herself, also.

Good points from all of you. And I agree with them all. I think the major point is that the villagers have a new found courage that is beginning to affect change in them. And, Bix, I hadn't really thought of this at the time, that Vianne was acknowledging changes in herself. But considering what has come out of the discussion thus far, it makes a lot of sense to me now.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

es

Unread postby es » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:31 am

very good points,none of wich I came up with.
I tought it was a way to see were she got openings in the townpeople.
greets,
es
who laughs the last didnt got the joke,
freek&sjaak

Return to “Chocolat”