Chocolat Question #19 ~ Vianne and her Mother

by Joanne Harris

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
QueenofKings
Posts: 7732
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:36 pm
Location: Edge City On the Road

Status: Offline

Unread postby QueenofKings » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:09 pm

lumineuse wrote:I thought Harris made it sound as if she were kidnapped, but I couldn't understand why she had no resentment or curiosity about that.


It sure sounded to me like Vianne was kidnapped, and I wondered if that is a part of the story left to be discovered in a continuing tale in the future.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:51 pm

lumineuse wrote:I thought Harris made it sound as if she were kidnapped, but I couldn't understand why she had no resentment or curiosity about that.


lumi, I wondered about that too. It almost seemed like each time she tried to go there in her mind she pulled away. Almost like she didn't want to know for sure.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:07 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
lumineuse wrote:I thought Harris made it sound as if she were kidnapped, but I couldn't understand why she had no resentment or curiosity about that.


lumi, I wondered about that too. It almost seemed like each time she tried to go there in her mind she pulled away. Almost like she didn't want to know for sure.


That was the impression I got--that she didn't want to believe it. And who would blame her?

Pg. 272. "The cold was paralyzing now, making thought difficult. All I could think of was the name, so similar to mine, the dates....And didn't I remember that bear, that elephant, its plush worn down to the red sailcloth, carried indefatigably from Paris to Rome, Rome to Vienna?.......It could have been make-believe. So much of my mother's life was just that. And besides--after so long, what did it matter?"
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Bix
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Status: Offline

Unread postby Bix » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:50 pm

I agree that there is a very strong impression given that Vianne was kidnapped and that she perhaps doesn't really want to know the truth. I found this whole plotline to be jarringly out of place, for some reason. I guess the idea that her mother was truly running for criminal reasons somehow changed everything I thought about Vianne and her mother. To introduce at that late point in the story both the possibility of criminal wrongdoing and the idea that her mother suffered other "delusions" just didn't work for me, although for others it may have added a better explanation of why they were so adamantly on the run.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

User avatar
fansmom
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:50 pm
Location: Olney, Maryland

Status: Offline

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:39 pm

Bix wrote:I agree that there is a very strong impression given that Vianne was kidnapped and that she perhaps doesn't really want to know the truth. I found this whole plotline to be jarringly out of place, for some reason. I guess the idea that her mother was truly running for criminal reasons somehow changed everything I thought about Vianne and her mother. To introduce at that late point in the story both the possibility of criminal wrongdoing and the idea that her mother suffered other "delusions" just didn't work for me, although for others it may have added a better explanation of why they were so adamantly on the run.
I agree, Bix. I know when we discussed "Inamorata," a lot of us complained about the loose threads, the unresolved issues, and this strikes me as similar. Was she, or wasn't she?

But as you say, that conflict was jarring because it was introduced too late, and with too little foreshadowing, for it to add to the plot.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:46 pm

fansmom wrote:
Bix wrote:I agree that there is a very strong impression given that Vianne was kidnapped and that she perhaps doesn't really want to know the truth. I found this whole plotline to be jarringly out of place, for some reason. I guess the idea that her mother was truly running for criminal reasons somehow changed everything I thought about Vianne and her mother. To introduce at that late point in the story both the possibility of criminal wrongdoing and the idea that her mother suffered other "delusions" just didn't work for me, although for others it may have added a better explanation of why they were so adamantly on the run.
I agree, Bix. I know when we discussed "Inamorata," a lot of us complained about the loose threads, the unresolved issues, and this strikes me as similar. Was she, or wasn't she?

But as you say, that conflict was jarring because it was introduced too late, and with too little foreshadowing, for it to add to the plot.


Maybe another question for Ms. Harris?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.


Return to “Chocolat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest