Chocolat Question #18 - Mon Pere

by Joanne Harris

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Chocolat Question #18 - Mon Pere

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:21 am

What is the significance of Reynaud’s visits with mon pere and the significance of their relationship?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:38 am

Holy Cow - I didn't see that one coming, Liz! Are you trying to make me think????
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:53 am

:captainjack:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:26 pm

Tricky Q today!

To show the unreliabilty of the trappings of the church, to show us that fine show and rules don't mean honesty or morality?

To show that it's hard to practice what you preach?

To show that we all need a confessor of some sort?

To back up the church's message that all flesh is weak?

Very difficult question.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:28 pm

Can you really call it a relationship if only one person is conscious?

To me, Reynaud's conversations (monologues? confessions?) with mon pere were an effective literary device designed to let readers partway into Reynaud's thoughts. To understand his motivation, we needed to know what he was thinking, but he was so rigid, controlled, uptight, and had such a sense of superiority that he wouldn’t confide in any of the townspeople. By having him speak to mon pere, we knew at least some of what was going on in the dark, murky, twisted little mind of his.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:49 pm

Aside from the literary device fansmom mentioned, it almost seemed to me as if he was using his pere to reinforce his own feelings of moral superiority. He seemed to confide his doubts to his pere, and then convince himself that he was correct by reminding himself of his superiority to his pere, whom he caught in what he believed was an unforgivable act of human frailty. I felt he left there with a renewed sense of purpose.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:24 pm

fansmom wrote:Can you really call it a relationship if only one person is conscious?

To me, Reynaud's conversations (monologues? confessions?) with mon pere were an effective literary device designed to let readers partway into Reynaud's thoughts. To understand his motivation, we needed to know what he was thinking, but he was so rigid, controlled, uptight, and had such a sense of superiority that he wouldn’t confide in any of the townspeople. By having him speak to mon pere, we knew at least some of what was going on in the dark, murky, twisted little mind of his.

I hate to admit this, but for a long time I thought he was in his room having a dialogue with God, "mon pere" meaning "my father" for God, the Father. Then at some point I realized who mon pere really was.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:28 pm

lumineuse wrote:Aside from the literary device fansmom mentioned, it almost seemed to me as if he was using his pere to reinforce his own feelings of moral superiority. He seemed to confide his doubts to his pere, and then convince himself that he was correct by reminding himself of his superiority to his pere, whom he caught in what he believed was an unforgivable act of human frailty. I felt he left there with a renewed sense of purpose.

I agree with that, Lumi. I think it was two-fold, though. I think he used him as his confessor but also to reinforce his feelings that he was doing the right thing.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:28 pm

I think he was definitely a literary device for us to be able to see inside Reynaud's head and he served as his confessor. I think he also used what the old priest had done and what the old priest had him to do the gypsies to justify what he wanted Muscat to do this time around.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:13 am

I agree with all of you.
I also saw Mon Pere as Reynaud's mirror, where he could see a reflection of himself to be critical or gain self-approval for himself on his actions or his guilt. Kind of along the same lines as Vianne scrying in chocolate or using the cards to get in tune with her mother.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:08 am

I like that comparison with Vianne, QofK! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

es

Unread postby es » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:11 am

I also think its shows Reynauds caracter,he goes to the man without wanting but out of duty and than using the man who cant say annything against him.

love that comparison Queen.

greets,
es
who laughs the last didnt got the joke,
freek&sjaak

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:30 am

I guess it also showed the culture of discrimination/persecution that had persisted for a long time,which had been consciously or unconsciously, sanctioned by the church...Mon pere was almost a malevolent figure....
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “Chocolat”