Chocolat Question #14 - Symbolism

by Joanne Harris

Moderator: Liz

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:51 pm

I thnk the river symbolizes the journey of life, and the bells death. The church bells just make me think of the death knell. But it is a while since I read the book so that thought is not really in context. It's just what it means to me. It is certainly what the church in this book makes me think of. But the river: certainly life from birth, infancy through maturity until it reaches the sea. New life comes from it, in terms of strangers arriving. And the river rat creates life with Vianne. But there is also death there - so the complete life cycle.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:19 pm

suec wrote:I thnk the river symbolizes the journey of life, and the bells death. The church bells just make me think of the death knell. But it is a while since I read the book so that thought is not really in context. It's just what it means to me. It is certainly what the church in this book makes me think of. But the river: certainly life from birth, infancy through maturity until it reaches the sea. New life comes from it, in terms of strangers arriving. And the river rat creates life with Vianne. But there is also death there - so the complete life cycle.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, Suec, and seems plausible to me. I think the river does symbolize life. I had not thought of the church bells symbolizing death. But those bells have symbolized death in other novels. So why not?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Chocolat”