Chocolat Question #12 - Writing Style

by Joanne Harris

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Chocolat Question #12 - Writing Style

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:08 pm

What do you think of Joanne’s writing style?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:23 pm

I find it very absorbing. She has a true gift for description and draws you in with her stories.

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:41 pm

I loved Chocolat and I thought Joanne had a lovely flair for telling a story, hitting a good balance between description and action/dialogue. I also really enjoyed her character development.
However, I then read Blackberry wine and just couldn't get into it - I don't know why.
By the way I read Chocolat when it first came out, so I wasn't in any way influenced by the film. So I can't explain why I reacted so differently to two books by the same author.
Since then I haven't read any of her other books.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:00 pm

Peachy wrote:I loved Chocolat and I thought Joanne had a lovely flair for telling a story, hitting a good balance between description and action/dialogue. I also really enjoyed her character development.
However, I then read Blackberry wine and just couldn't get into it - I don't know why.
By the way I read Chocolat when it first came out, so I wasn't in any way influenced by the film. So I can't explain why I reacted so differently to two books by the same author.
Since then I haven't read any of her other books.

Isn't that funny. I read Blackberry Wine last summer and thought it was really good,then tried to read Chocolat and couldn't. But then I read it again for the discussion and enjoyed it much better

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:04 pm

GG wrote:
Isn't that funny. I read Blackberry Wine last summer and thought it was really good,then tried to read Chocolat and couldn't. But then I read it again for the discussion and enjoyed it much better

Yes - it is funny - also, a friend of mine recommended Blackberry wine and she said "if you liked Chocolat, you'll love this". I guess I ought to dig it out of the cupboard and give it another shot.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:43 pm

I felt that her descriptions lacked sublety. She was far too keen to use the food/sensory analogy to back up her hedonism v self denial theme and her wind theme for V.. It's as if she had gone to a writing class and had been told "carry your theme across in the metaphors you use, keep a theme for each character" and she's been determined to do just that. To m e at least, it appeared predictable and heavy handed.

On the plus side, I liked the two first person narratives as a device, and that she didn't introduce them with anything, rather just let you find out who was narrating.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

es

Unread postby es » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:55 pm

I also like Endora loved the 2 people naratting,its very funny how you read something totally different when you relise that the other person is "telling " it.

further I really liked the writting,its easy to read and still few layered.
greets.
es
who laughs the last didnt got the joke,
freek&sjaak

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:40 pm

I, too, liked the 2 person narrative as a device. It was interesting to view the story through the 2 opposing points of view.

I very much liked her style of writing. I thought it was clever and very sensuous. She has a way of allowing you to feel the story through her descriptions.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:10 pm

I liked her writing style, and felt she was painting a picture for me. Not just describing a scene or action. I felt she gave me a good feel of the characters motivations and desires, without going on for paragraphs like one author I know.

I liked the food analogy, as it was the theme of the book,and I believe most people can relate, as we must eat something everyday, well unless it is lent of course (just kidding).
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:05 pm

She was very easy to read and I like how she interposed stories from the past that reflected on the present..I too liked hearing the story from different points of view..a technique that doesn't always work and sometimes is clumsily handled...But I never felt that with Joanne..I thought the whole story flowed easily..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:15 pm

Liz wrote:I, too, liked the 2 person narrative as a device. It was interesting to view the story through the 2 opposing points of view.

I very much liked her style of writing. I thought it was clever and very sensuous. She has a way of allowing you to feel the story through her descriptions.

I agree Liz. Her writing struck me as very sensual too. And I liked how you were able to see things from two opposing points of view.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:47 pm

Nothing to add but to say I agree with you all. I think the two character narrative played out very well with the personalities and the opposite characteristics they represented. I also felt like I could picture the locations in my mind. Very descriptive and colorful. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:44 am

I am finally about 2/3 of the way through the book -- real life has just gotten in my way with this one and now I am back to reading a text book! but I am going to finish Chocolat even if I don't get to participate much in the discussion because I am loving it. I find Ms Harris's writing easy to read, very pleasant, and also very clever as she gives away just a little information here and there, enough to keep me wanting more. Some of the descriptive passages are just lovely. I like the way she is giving us a look into both Vianne and Reynaud's souls......at times it is a little confusing, I have to read a paragraph or so before I know which one is speaking....it just dawned on me that perhaps is the point, that under it all they are more alike than they are different. In my mind I see the characters from the movie while I read, except with Roux.....he has a different flavor than Johnny's Roux, and I have a different mental image of him. I am not sure how much my movie experience is influencing my pleasure in the book.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:56 am

nebraska wrote:I am finally about 2/3 of the way through the book -- real life has just gotten in my way with this one and now I am back to reading a text book! but I am going to finish Chocolat even if I don't get to participate much in the discussion because I am loving it. I find Ms Harris's writing easy to read, very pleasant, and also very clever as she gives away just a little information here and there, enough to keep me wanting more. Some of the descriptive passages are just lovely. I like the way she is giving us a look into both Vianne and Reynaud's souls......at times it is a little confusing, I have to read a paragraph or so before I know which one is speaking....it just dawned on me that perhaps is the point, that under it all they are more alike than they are different. In my mind I see the characters from the movie while I read, except with Roux.....he has a different flavor than Johnny's Roux, and I have a different mental image of him. I am not sure how much my movie experience is influencing my pleasure in the book.

Hi nebraska! :wave: Glad you could jump in! I agree with you about Joanne's style and how she developed Vianne and Reynaud and gave us little glimpses at a time. If you have a favorite passage you can post it on today's question. Keep thinking about the differences between the book and the movie and Johnny/Roux vs. Book/Roux. We will be discussing those very things towards the end of our discussion! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Chocolat”