It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Chocolat Question #9 ~ Roux
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:26 am 

Let's discuss the character of Roux. What does he bring to the story?

Please stick to Roux’s character in the book. We will discuss movie Roux in another question.
;-)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:42 am 

What does he bring to the story, umm not good with those sort of answers. But I think he was there to show the intolerance of people. He was very rough around the edges, had a few tough knock backs I expect. Another person touched by Vianne and shown respct by those who come to know him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:17 am 

A new baby?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:22 am 

Roux? What does he bring? On my re-read I'm still wondering. He's definately another of the damaged ones, with his history he doesn't want talked of, his dislike of the police. And certainly stubborn, along with Vianne and Armande. There's a real theme of peole harming their happines by their own stubborness in the book. It's so difficult to pin him down. Perhaps that's the point, that he keeps himself so closed that like Vianne we can't tell about him. As she can read everyone else, perhaps he's there to show her fallability, and so turn her into a more intersting character.

And of course from a writers point of view, there's nothing quite like a mysterious leading man (think Wuthering Heights for example!)

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:23 am 

lumineuse wrote:
A new baby?

So maybe he's the spirit of Eostre, Lumi?

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:25 am 

Endora wrote:
lumineuse wrote:
A new baby?

So maybe he's the spirit of Eostre, Lumi?

May be!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:53 am 

yep like you all said a very closed man very much living his life on his own terms.
not much more to add actually.
greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am 

A hard man to read. And you get the impression that he wants to keep it that way. Although he did seem to want to get close to Vianne, but emotionally, he seemed scared to let anyone in. I think maybe he brings to the story the results that intolerance and bigotry can have on a person. Oh, and a new baby like lumi said. :baby:

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:10 am 

I agree that he shows the damage that can be done by intolerance and bigotry and he serves as a focal point and spokesperson for the river gypsies. I'm trying to compare him to Reynaud and I want to make them opposites but they also have a lot in common because both are scarred by events in their past and are very closed emotionally.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:55 am 

Okay, it's been a while since I read the book and I am not remembering details, but feelings. He seemed dark, damaged, really closed off. He to me represented what happens to people that are judged for not fitting into the mainstream and are unfairly treated throughout their lives for whatever reason.

Because of the bigotry of others, Roux closed himself off, became distrustful of others intentions, put walls up to protect himself. He seemed to be a free-spirit, but if not for how the gypsies were treated, would they have chose that life?

Last edited by Gypsylee on Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:56 am 
JDZ Moderator

lumineuse wrote:
A new baby?

Great answer, Lumi! :lol:

He definitely brings the gypsies into the story and gives Reynaud, Caro and Muscat an object on which to focus their bigotry. He makes the gypsies real to us, the readers, by his involvement in the story—the scene in Muscat’s bar, the burning of his boat, and his friendships with Vianne, Josephine and Armande. But, as you’ve all said, he is somewhat of a mystery. The one thing that is obvious to me, though, is that he is a free spirit that cannot be tied down.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:55 pm 

He also apears in Blackberry Wine and again in that he seems like a totally different Roux, more relaxed perhaps.

Post subject: Re: Chocolat Question #9 ~ Roux
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:01 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
[size=18]Let's discuss the character of Roux. What does he bring to the story?

Interesting question DITHOT! I've really had to mull this one over. I'm sure that Roux brings lots of things to the story (baby included! :lol:), but for me, he served as a vehicle to better see the prejudice that some townspeople felt for the river folk. It gave you a concrete character with which to view the stereotyped attitudes...made the biases against the river people more personal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:09 pm 

A very stubborn man , I didn't like him very much. And I couldn't really understand why he felt in love with Josephine.
I didn't think he was a strong man , specially after the fire , in his reaction to it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:48 pm 

PhD, it did serve to personalize the bigotry, the reaction to it and the damage it did.

ibbi, I think he and Josephine were both very damaged people who had suffered a lot of abouse. Maybe that is what drew them to each other?

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next