It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Chocolat Question #5 - Caro & Luc
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:38 am 
JDZ Moderator

What did you think of Caro and Luc? Of their relationship?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:15 am 

She was very dominating but also too protective of him. I think she was also afraid of losing him to her mothers influence.Since I read Blackberry Wine first before reading Chocolat and she apears in that book too I have a very confusing view of her and since I read Chocolat a little while ago I think I might be confused, so can not comment properly on her.
Luc seems just to be influenced by her of course but when he is encouraged he does rebel from Caro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:32 am 

Caro is controlling and over-protective, and I think she's afraid of losing Luc. I can't remember if the book explained where his father was, so maybe that was part of it. She's afriad to lose him like she lost his father?

But also, I think that she isn't so much afraid to lose Luc to Armand's influence as she knows that her mother is not long for this world and wants to spare her son the pain of her passing. True, Caro doesn't approve of Armand's lifestyle, and that's part of it I'm sure, not to mention the HUGE influence that Reynaud has over her, but I personally think that she wants to spare him pain.

I think she loves her mother, and hates that there's nothing she can do to help her feel better, nothing that Armand will allow, anyway.

:chill: :pray:

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:35 am 

Caro seemed to need to be a pillar of the community and to control those around her. (She herself was actually controlled by Reynaud.) Poor Luc, a bright and creative boy, fell victim to this until Vianne and his grandma helped him to find himself and begin to become his own person. Sadly, she loved her son and mother but had an awkward way of showing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:08 pm 
JDZ Moderator

You ladies are a little easier on Caro than I am. I think she wanted to be in control of every situation. I didn’t see Reynaud controlling her as much as them being a team. I think they needed each other to further their aims of intolerance. I think she loved Luc, but needed to control his every move. She is very overprotective of him and wants to keep him away from his grandmother because she might put ideas of rebellion in his head. And then she would lose control over him. I think Luc loves both his mother and his grandmother, but feels more loyalty or duty towards Caro and wants to please her. Luckily for him, Vianne encouraged the relationship between him and Armand.

I think Caro wanted to control Armand also. And it frustrated her to no end that she wouldn’t let her.

GG, I wish I could remember her in Blackberry Wine. :-/ She must have had a small role.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:24 pm 

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
She was very dominating but also too protective of him. I think she was also afraid of losing him to her mothers influence.

Rather like Vianne and her daughter, perhaps?

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:01 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Good point, Endora. She was fearful of losing her as was Vianne's mother fearful of losing Vianne. (We'll talk more about Vianne and her mother in a future question.) On the other hand, Vianne gave Anouk much freedom to roam & explore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:21 pm 

Liz wrote:
You ladies are a little easier on Caro than I am. I think she wanted to be in control of every situation. I didn’t see Reynaud controlling her as much as them being a team. I think they needed each other to further their aims of intolerance. I think she loved Luc, but needed to control his every move. She is very overprotective of him and wants to keep him away from his grandmother because she might put ideas of rebellion in his head. And then she would lose control over him. I think Luc loves both his mother and his grandmother, but feels more loyalty or duty towards Caro and wants to please her. Luckily for him, Vianne encouraged the relationship between him and Armand.

I think Caro wanted to control Armand also. And it frustrated her to no end that she wouldn’t let her.

GG, I wish I could remember her in Blackberry Wine. :-/ She must have had a small role.

Yes, but she also seemed completley different in some ways. Not sure off hand without looking it up which order Joanne Harris wrote the two books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:39 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Liz wrote:

Yes, but she also seemed completley different in some ways. Not sure off hand without looking it up which order Joanne Harris wrote the two books.

She wrote Chocolat first. Blackberry Wine followed shortly thereafter. I don't own the book, unfortunately. I read the library copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:43 am 

Liz wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Liz wrote:

She wrote Chocolat first. Blackberry Wine followed shortly thereafter. I don't own the book, unfortunately. I read the library copy.

Well I guess that the characters then in the books in some ways are seen from the POV of the main characters so perhaps that is why they are different.Although I guess in many ways Caro is not that different still controlling still trying to run things, she is also trying to be more important than she is. Sorry if that does not make much sense its early here :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:45 am 
JDZ Moderator

It's early for me, too, GG. So I'm posting the next question and going back to bed. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:58 am 

Caro was a victim of living in a small town and trying to stand out. Her haughtiness was an attempt to erase her poor beginnings. Her mother, though she loved her, was a constant reminder of her past. She felt it was her duty to try to fix things for her mother (that's what daughters do when you having ailing parents ~ because it is right, or because you will live with the guilt for the rest of your life, if you do not do everything in your power to fix) and couldn't understand that her mother didn't want fixing.

I think we all can relate to her in wanting to overprotect her son after the death of her husband. I think if must be terribly hard to be a single parent of a boy, with no man to counter balance us women. Men don't overreact to the rough and tumble. I do know as a Mom of 3 boys, that when they were tiny and playing and would fall down, I did not hop up and rush to them like Mom's of girls would do. If I did, they might think it was worse than it was and cry.. I would just say, are you bleeding, do you need stitches, give them a hug and pat (if they wanted it) and let it go. My DH would NOT ever let me on the baseball field if something happened...he knew that Moms make boys cry, whereas they will tough it out if it is just the men around. That's the culture of men...they have to learn it.

Caro just couldn't help herself. She loved him and didn't want anything bad to happen to him...but he was getting older and she was holding him back from becoming a man. His grandma saw that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:40 pm 

In the book, Caro's husband and Luc's father, George, is alive and well and willing to abet his wife in trying to make Armande an invalid. He is the guy who won't supply the lumber, etc., to Armande for Roux to work on her roof because he has offered for years to do the work "for free" - (read, "in order to get you to owe me something so I can send you to the nursing home with no regrets that I didn't try to help you out, etc. etc.")

To me, Caro is the worst type of what I call the Centex (short for Central Texas) Sweetie - the woman with the perfect hair and the perfect logos on her clothes and the perfect in with the church and the Junior League and the sorority and the country club. And her son has to be perfect, too. So she rides him and rides him and turns him into an automaton - until someone comes along and allows him to enjoy the genetic blessing from his grandmother. Vianne remarks on how much he resembles his grandmother when he is animated about something they are discussing. And he does respond wonderfully to his grandmother's influence. So I really do like Luc.

Caro behaved at Armande's birthday party and almost seemed to have a good time, but her parting scene has her telling George that her mother has promised to go the nursing home, and how relieved she is about it, so she hasn't really changed. So I don't see any redemption (funny I chose that word for her!) for Caro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:13 pm 

Charlene, I agree that Caro wanted to fix things for Armande but only because she felt she had too and she couldn't understand that her mother didn't need fixing!

She didn't want to really try and understand what Armande wanted or needed. Bix, I agree with you Centex sweetie! :lol: She wanted Armande to fit into her picture of the world. Like Charlene said, her mother was a constant reminder of her past that didn't fit into her version of her current self.

I loved Luc! I felt like he was going to make his way in the world despite Caro's attempts to control him.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:08 am 

agree with what you are saying Bix :cool: you have Caro perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next