It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Chocolat Question #2 ~ Reynaud
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:23 am 

Let’s talk about the major characters—each individually. Let’s discuss their personalities and what makes them tick.

We’ll start with Reynaud. What does he represent in the story? Why does he fear Vianne? What are his true feelings for Vianne?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:06 am 

Difficult to understand this man,apperantley he is convinced that he does the right thing or atleast knows a way to make excuses even to himself.

I think he represents a lot of things,the obvious ,dont change things and man of the curch without anny room for another belief.
but also the man who Vianne,and her mom,fears he means death for them,end of life or smuttering to live under sociaal boundries (hope I express myself a bit clear ,itys difficult to explain in English)

I think they fear eachother as they are opposites,in their believes and way of lives.

ofcourse because Vianne has a close relatingship with Armande Reynaud is afraid that his big secret is coming out.
still altou we now a bit of his historie I wish t here was something more to him so that I could have a more understanding for him.
now he is just a sad person who is very smallminded.

greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:21 am 

es, you express yourself very well in English! We are glad to have you participating in the discussion! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:11 am 

I agree with es. I think the man is full of fear. It rules his life. Fear of losing control of the people around him, who he considers his flock, like sheep. Fear of his secret from the past being exposed. Fear of losing control of himself, which is why he avoids temptations like chocolate and fasts so severly. Maybe he knew deep down that once he started he wouldn't be able to stop. And fear of anything different. He finds change and anything out of the ordinary to be frightening and threatening to what he considers the "right way" to live. That's why he fears Vianne so much. She is definately a threat to the way of life he and his flock have known for years.

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:40 am 

I agree about the fears. I think loss of control is one of his biggest fears. But I think he also represents social repression and just plain judgementality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:46 am 

you had to pick the least likeable character first didn't you - Reynaud is why I really don't like this book - at least I don't like it compared to the movie - any question (s) that I might submit for consideration by the author herself will defintly be about Father Reynaud - I think I prefer Mr. Le Count from the movie as the main bad guy at least he's redeemable - there really isn't much hope for Reynaud - I'll have to think this question over some and come back again later :eyebrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:07 am 

He is a complicated character. He is scared of anything that he doesn’t know and what he don’t know he judge as bad. He is full of fear of what might happen and because of that he wants everything to stay as it is.
He wants control over the people in the village (his sheep) and most of all he wants control over himself. He is afraid of what might happen (and already happens once in his life) when he loses control over himself.
He also looks for encouragement and signs that he is doing the right things (his talks with the old priest).
He has become a priest but in a way he is disappointed in the church (relation old priest with his mother) but that he cannot admit (not even to himself) and so he defend the church and what it stands for without compassion for people.
He fears Vianne because she is everything he is not. She is a free spirit and he is caught in a narrow mind. Vianne say what she believes and she don’t judge people. She welcomes everyone with an open mind, like a good priest should do.
Vianne recognise in him everything she has run away from during her life with her mum. It is not him as a person but that where he stands for, judgement and in a way he stands for dying. Dying in a way as if you don’t be able to change things you die inside.

Pfew, it is really difficult to explain exactly in English what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:08 am 

lizbet wrote:
you had to pick the least likeable character first didn't you - Reynaud is why I really don't like this book - at least I don't like it compared to the movie - any question (s) that I might submit for consideration by the author herself will defintly be about Father Reynaud - I think I prefer Mr. Le Count from the movie as the main bad guy at least he's redeemable - there really isn't much hope for Reynaud - I'll have to think this question over some and come back again later :eyebrow:

I totally agree, lizbet - I thought the movie was much more forgiving of human frailities, which is one of my major reasons for preferring it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:11 am 

Quote:

it is really hard he,in Dutch its so clear but translating ,especially feelings about a caracter is difficult,but we will manage right San?!
greets,
es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:49 am 
JDZ Moderator

lumineuse wrote:
lizbet wrote:

I totally agree, lizbet - I thought the movie was much more forgiving of human frailities, which is one of my major reasons for preferring it.

There are quite a few differences between the book and the movie. And we will be going into that topic in more detail later on in the discussion.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:54 am 
JDZ Moderator

San wrote:
He wants control over the people in the village (his sheep) and most of all he wants control over himself. He is afraid of what might happen (and already happens once in his life) when he loses control over himself.

I agree, San, that he fears losing control--not only over his flock but also over himself. After all, that is the job of a priest--to lead his flock. But I imagine the fear of giving in to what a priest foresees as temptation must be a constant struggle.

And San & es, I think you are both doing a great job of explaining yourselves.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Chocolat Question #2 ~ Reynaud
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:04 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

We’ll start with Reynaud. What does he represent in the story? Why does he fear Vianne? What are his true feelings for Vianne? [/size][/b]

I agree with what's been said so far, but something that hasn't been brought up (or maybe I missed it) is his jealousy of Vianne. The townspeople are drawn to her (or at least to her shop). He is jealous that they're not drawn to the church in the same way (they go to church, but it's more out of duty than choice). He's also jealous of how quickly she gets to know the townspeople and they her. He comments about that early on in the book... how she already knows the names of the townspeople and the goings on in their lives. He said it took him 6 months before he knew everyone's name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:17 pm 

lumineuse wrote:
I agree about the fears. I think loss of control is one of his biggest fears. But I think he also represents social repression and just plain judgementality.

I agree with this. I also think that he really can't think for himself and has to stick to every rule that there is. He keeps himself completely boxed in and any deviation from the rules could cause everything to go out from under him.

I really wanted to smack this guy upside the head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:22 pm 

Liz wrote:
And San & es, I think you are both doing a great job of explaining yourselves. [/color][/b]

I agree...I understand what you are saying perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:23 pm 

He is the bad face of the Church the opposite to what he should be.He preaches intolerance where he should be tolerant, he is unsympathetic where he should be sympathetic.He seems a bad chioce for the priesthood, he has no understanding of his parishoners and their problems and seems not to want to. He is the bad, to Vianne's good. He sees she has it all, what he lacks , he is afriad of her and the power she has over people and maybe is afriad she will have power over him too if he weakens.I think some part of him admires her though and her abilities and this he is also afriad of.

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next