JP Donleavy and the History of the Ginger Man

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:12 am

We would love to hear a synopsis from anyone who listened! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:34 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:We would love to hear a synopsis from anyone who listened! :cool:

He talked alot about living in Dublin when he first went there, he read some passages from The Ginger Man, talked a little about the trouble getting it published. There were reminicences from Billy Connolly who played one of his characters in another of his works on stage. There was some commments from Shane McGowan but to be honest I couldn't really understand him, I think he must have been really drunk :-/ I can't recall all of it but as I said you should be able to hear it again in fact it is now available on the right side of the page link I gave.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks for the link. :cool: Do you know how long do they usually make the links available?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:20 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks for the link. :cool: Do you know how long do they usually make the links available?

Sorry, no I don't.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:41 am

:interesting: Thanks for the synopsis, GG.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:08 pm

I was able to listen to it this morning. Very interesting. I'm determined now to get through the GingerMan, didn't make it the last time. Thanks for the link!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:24 pm

Thanks suec and GG, that was very interesting. Donleavy didn't sound at all how I had imagined him, and he sounds younger than 80. :lol:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:57 pm

Boo-Radley wrote:Thanks suec and GG, that was very interesting. Donleavy didn't sound at all how I had imagined him, and he sounds younger than 80. :lol:

Live in Depp
Boo

yes, he was not quite what I was expecting either, I think I would enjoy the book more if he was reading it, the extracts sounded better when he did them :cool:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:06 pm

I'm really annoyed at myself. I set the alarm for 6 :15 AM, actually got up and turned on the computer and started the program. I lay back on my pillow to listen and that's the last I remember. Thank you for the synopsis GG. I am also looking forward to reading the GingerMan.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “The Ginger Man”