The Ginger Man Question #26 ~ One Final Question

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:18 pm

Liz wrote: Here he died three days later, adored by all in the hospital who ministered to him.
I guess you had to know him to love him.

I will agree that the book had some lovely lyrical phrases.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:58 pm

Glad you're coming around there, fansmom! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:30 pm

I totally changed my opnion of the book, and the questions asked are what made that happen. I despised Sebastian, hated the book, wanted it to be over, and couldn't imagine Johnny making anything of the part. Even the beautiful language and lyrical descriptions did not make me like the book.

I had to re-read to think about some of the questions, and I found myself seeing another Sebastian -- maybe one that no one else sees, since most everyone still hates him. Instead of being irritated and disgusted, I feel so sorry for him now -- as if he were a friend who had lost his way.

Thank you for your help and insights, it has been a pleasure reading everyone's thoughts.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:58 pm

Now to be completey different :capnjack: I can't say I loathed Sebastian to the extent that some did..Definitely not an attractive character,absorbed in his own self-pity and his own dreams,but on the second and third time reading TGM,I found him funnier and funnier..But then I do have a weird sense of humour :dunce: To me,this book is a work of Art because of the way it's written ..Even after 3 times,I never tire of the poetic language and the descriptions..I see different aspects and little nuggets of beauty each time..TGM is like an epic poem..although there's not much happening, plot-wise..but it has that onward,onward feel to it..And I think this is appropriate given the fact that Sebastian is ever moving,ever reaching out for the next life-experience,never being satisfied with anything and leaving chaos in his wake...TGM and Sebastian are unforgettable.. :cool: .
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:35 am

I also think it is a work of art. I hated it at first - well, SD really - and almost didn't finish it, even though I could see the beauty and skill in the style. However, I have read it twice now, and find it much funnier, and more painful, than I first thought. The feeling that I get is that although so much of it is inside his head, there is still a lot that is unsaid. In that sense I find it very true to life. Thanks to some challenging questions, and some fantastic answers from everyone. :cool:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:03 pm

I always end up seeing our books in a different light by the time we have finished a disucssion. You guys :rocknroll:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:48 pm

Just want to thank everyone for doing the homework I didn't do this time and expressing themselves so eloquently! Like fansmom, tax season (and a few other unexpected duties) ripped into my Johnny time. Reading your responses helped me appreciate the book more and want to review it when I have time. Think I'll still prefer books that leave one inspired, however... ;-)
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:29 pm

Thanks for dropping by, Betty Sue! I hope you will be able to join us for Chocolat. :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon May 01, 2006 12:38 pm

The ONBC discussion showed me some things I missed -- some of the pretty passages that I skipped over, some of the deeper meanings that may or may not have been behind the story itself. ONBC always enriches my life. Whether I change my thoughts or opinions on something, I become wiser for seeing the variety of answers. Great job everyone, as always! Both our moderators and all the participants!

I still don't care much for the book, I don't think I would recommend it to anyone, and honestly, I am still unsure why it has survived so many years as a cult classic. Or whatever it is. On the other hand, I can't say I regret reading it, either. I learned some new things along the way.

Return to “The Ginger Man”