DITHOT and Bix do a little field work...

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

DITHOT and Bix do a little field work...

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:55 pm

Purely in the aspect of ONBC research ;-) , Bix and I visited The Ginger Man Pub in Austin today. We felt a little field work was in order to get the proper perspective on the book. :investigate: It is a very cozy place, lots of dark wood and conversational corners with comfortable couches and chairs as well as wooden tables and a nice patio in the back. There is also a long bar on one side and on the back of the wall are all the taps for the draught beer. In the pictures you can see all the tap levers! The wall is polished copper and there was one poor lad who was polishing away while we were there. Quite a formidable task! There were also several of the old Guiness advertisements featuring animals but none of the kangaroo. I didn’t take too many pictures since there were other customers who probably didn’t want to end up on ONBC! Thanks for coming along, Bix! :toastingpirates:

This was posted as a tidbit previously, but here is the link to all the Ginger Man Pubs.

http://www.gingermanpub.com/

Exterior:

Back wall with all the draught beer taps:

The wall behind the pool table…cans surround a Guinness mirror.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:13 pm

Ineed, my dear, I enjoyed it very much! But I think we should go back when neither of us is the driver and there are more people there. It was a very comfortable place and I can see spending lots of hours discussing whatever ensconsed in those couches and easy chairs! They don't have very many Irish brews among their many choices, but DITHOT had a Harp and I had a Smithwicks (which the bar wench pronounced like Smittiks or some such?) which I enjoyed. So a good time was had by all!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:17 pm

Wait...I'm confused...what is the tie in to the "Ginger Man" book? Is the whole bar concept based on this book? Coincidence? I think I'm out of the loop.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:06 pm

Charlene, see The Ginger Man Tidbit #11 for the history of the Ginger Man Pubs - 3 in TX and 1 in NY. And Donleavy himself was here in Austin in 1994.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:10 pm

So DITHOT and Bix -- will you be taking a road trip to check out the other two pubs in Texas?

If you head to the Houston pub, give me a call. Since I don't drink, I'll volunteer to be the designated driver for you two.
:grin:

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:36 pm

Now come on,Bix and DITHOT..Any excuse for a drink :lol: I'm only kidding of course..How long did your research last? :capnjack: I'm curious about those chalk pictures,behind the bar..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:41 am

I wonder if Johnny spent some time in the pub while he was shooting WEGG.
Interesting drawings on the board behind the bar were they anyone specific could you make them out.And photos too I see.
Were all those taps connected? strange to see them on the back wall usually taps are on the counter :-?

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:52 am

Are the chalk pics above the bar copies of famour pictures? The closest one looks very familiar, the puritan looking couple in front of a farm.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:13 am

I'm so glad that you got your research done - and absolutely essential! It looks a very atmospheric place.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks DITHOT and Bix for 'sacrificing' a Saturday afternoon in the name of 'research'. Looks like a great place to hang out. I enjoyed your report. That kind of research I'd do anytime!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:28 am

That's certainly my kind of field trip. :grin: I love all the cans with the Guinness sign. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:43 am

Bix and I were quite responsible in our research! Only one beer and a sandwich, anything for ONBC you know! Theresa if we make it down to Houston we just might need to do a bit more research! You can click on the first link to get to the web page for the Ginger Man in Austin. On the right is a button called “bar tour” with much better pictures than the ones I posted. GG, the Austin pub opened in 1994 so I suppose that would have been too early for Johnny to have visited during WEGG filming.

http://www.gingermanpub.com/austin/

Chalk bar art pics:

Here is the one you are all referring to. If you click on the link below you can see examples of more.

http://www.gingermanpub.com/austin/art.html

The art changes all the time depending on the occasion but the one of the couple and of the king are up now. There is also a row of photographs you referenced, GG. We looked for a pic of Mr. Donleavy but didn’t see one.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:08 am

So Johnny would no have been able to visit it while he was filming WEGG, perhaps he has visited it since.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:17 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:So Johnny would no have been able to visit it while he was filming WEGG, perhaps he has visited it since.

It wouldn't surprise me, GG. I would certainly love to run into him there! :bounce:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Ginger Man”