The Ginger Man Question #20 - Comparisons with Other Authors

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Another good comparison, db. I agree with you - I was disappointed that Sebastian never seemed to be able to learn anything from his lot in life at the time, nor did he seem to be attempting to try.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:03 pm

dharma_bum wrote:What I found most disappointing about GM, wasn’t that SD didn’t change, but that he had so few moments of true self-awareness.
My daughter was reading James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as I was reading TGM. She complained of the many epiphanies of Stephen Daedelus and I told her I wished TGM's SD would have even one! :lol:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:45 am

fansmom wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:What I found most disappointing about GM, wasn’t that SD didn’t change, but that he had so few moments of true self-awareness.
My daughter was reading James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as I was reading TGM. She complained of the many epiphanies of Stephen Daedelus and I told her I wished TGM's SD would have even one! :lol:

I think that would have made all the difference in the world for me. Just one epiphany and I might have ended up liking him.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:40 pm

I read the Cather in The Rye in high school. It's a great book. I think everyone can identify with what Holden goes through much better than in GM. His situation is a typical one. It's not easy going through high school and adolescence at the same time, but we can't identify with a jerk like Sebastien. The authors just have a different idea of what people can relate to.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:30 pm

SamIam wrote:I read the Cather in The Rye in high school. It's a great book. I think everyone can identify with what Holden goes through much better than in GM. His situation is a typical one. It's not easy going through high school and adolescence at the same time, but we can't identify with a jerk like Sebastien. The authors just have a different idea of what people can relate to.

I think it depends on where you are in your life and the times you live in too. A lot of guys probably related to The Ginger Man back in the 50's, but then it has been a best seller for a long time. :eyebrow:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:50 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
SamIam wrote:I read the Cather in The Rye in high school. It's a great book. I think everyone can identify with what Holden goes through much better than in GM. His situation is a typical one. It's not easy going through high school and adolescence at the same time, but we can't identify with a jerk like Sebastien. The authors just have a different idea of what people can relate to.

I think it depends on where you are in your life and the times you live in too. A lot of guys probably related to The Ginger Man back in the 50's, but then it has been a best seller for a long time. :eyebrow:

Very true. I agree with you on that DITHOT.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “The Ginger Man”