The Ginger Man Question #19 - Merry Fraud

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:47 am

That's very :interesting:. I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional as it appears Donleavy was in acquaintance with many Catholics and probably learned much from them about Catholicism by osmosis. Good catch, Endora. And thanks for the background on St. Sebastian, DITHOT.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:08 pm

Interesting background information on Sebestian! He says what his name means on p179: venerable, deserving of honor and respect. No wonder Mary says it is a funny name.
What I wonder is why he declares Christmas to be a fraud. It leads up to it, with his visit to the financial world, and encounter with Dot in the taxi. I can see the negativity, not only because of his attitude to religion, but also because of his recent extreme disappointment over the terms of the will. But I just wonder if there isn't more to it:
One night I was walking behind a lovely young girl with long golden hair and my heart beating with desire. She turned around and I saw her face. She was an old toothless hag.'
Isn't this, as well as hopes and dreams turning to dust and ashes, what he feels about life in general anyway?
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:16 pm

suec wrote:
One night I was walking behind a lovely young girl with long golden hair and my heart beating with desire. She turned around and I saw her face. She was an old toothless hag.'
Isn't this, as well as hopes and dreams turning to dust and ashes, what he feels about life in general anyway?

I think that points to his existentialist view of life.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:38 pm

I must admit I took it the way Bix did too :-O I think Sebastian thinks practically everything is a fraud..from his marriage,to University life,to love,to money and power. :-O ..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:08 am

Yes. Interesting that you should include money in that. I think so too. This seems to be to be a real dark moment, and the others laugh it off.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “The Ginger Man”