The Ginger Man Question #17 - The Kangaroo

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:58 pm

I think it was a bit of a lark on their part, just to be outrageous. Also maybe as a bit of a celebration since, as was already mentioned, Sebastian has just learned that his father has died so at this point in the story he is still expecting wealth to come flowing his way. At one point early on it almost sounded as if McDoon's son was in the pouch but later is filled with pennies so I suppose not. Hope not at least! :-O I can see this being a very funny part of the film!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:34 am

That's how I saw it,DITHOT..The boys were going to hit the town..But I think Sebastian knows by now,that he's not going to get money from his dad :perplexed: ..Remember that business about Marion writing to the dad telling him about Sebastian.?.So I think this may have been a bit of,to h### with it,lets do something stupid....
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:07 pm

suec wrote:My friend is even more wonderful because she is trying to read Shantaram and I keep interrupting her. :blush:

This is a good friend indeed, suec! Shantaram is next on my reading list, too (I've already finished Chocolat).

Okay ... I can see the frivolity of dressing up before going out on the town. I've done that myself. I still don't really understand dressing up as a KANGAROO, but I'm willing to accept it.
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:19 pm

I wonder if the Kangaroo theme had anything to do with Guinness

Guinness's iconic stature can be attributed in part to its advertising. The most notable and recognisable series of adverts was created by Benson's advertising, primarily John Gilroy, in the 1930s and 40s. Gilroy was responsible for creating posters which included such phrases such as "Guinness for Strength", "Lovely Day for a Guinness", "Guinness Makes You Strong" "My Goodness My Guinness" and most famously, "Guinness is Good For You". The posters featured Gilroy's distinctive artwork and more often than not featured animals such as a kangaroo, ostrich, seal, lion, and notably a toucan, which has become as much a symbol of Guinness as the harp.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:42 pm

The kangaroo scene was hysterical, Sebastian at his manic best -- a god of mahem come to earth, wild and irrevrent but admired by the audience -- "the hospital people waved goodbye."
But why is his friend named Parnell? A drunken bar brawler named for the great Irish patriot ???
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:01 pm

GG, you might just be on to something!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:59 pm

The advertisement information is amazing!!!!! :-O When I read this book, why did I only seem to absorb the sordid and sad parts? I remember a bit about a kangaroo suit, but it didn't grab me and make me laugh. :-/

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:47 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:GG, you might just be on to something!

Wow! Thanks, GG, for bringing that to our attention. I never would have known that, otherwise. And thanks, DITHOT for the ad. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:06 am

Liz wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:GG, you might just be on to something!

Wow! Thanks, GG, for bringing that to our attention. I never would have known that, otherwise. And thanks, DITHOT for the ad. :cool:

Well for some reason Mascots and the University came to mind and students dressing up sort of thing ,so I was looking for mascots and it came up through my investigation with guinness, great advert I think I recall the toucan ones but too young for the Kangaroo :lol:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:09 am

stroch wrote:The kangaroo scene was hysterical, Sebastian at his manic best -- a god of mahem come to earth, wild and irrevrent but admired by the audience -- "the hospital people waved goodbye."
But why is his friend named Parnell? A drunken bar brawler named for the great Irish patriot ???

Here is some info on Parnell
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/charles_stuart_parnell.htm

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:52 am

Great research ,GG : :cool: That could be it..Going out for a night on the tiles,with the Guinness ad as inspiration...I saw some kangaroos at the Uni today..They didn't look much like the Guinness one :lol:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:59 am

I thought that was pretty funny that they dressed the baby in a kangaroo suit but it's also kind of mean too in a way.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:43 am

SamIam, I was unclear on the whole baby thing in that passage. It seemed to be there and then it wasn't. :perplexed:

Wow! What a ride!

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:51 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:SamIam, I was unclear on the whole baby thing in that passage. It seemed to be there and then it wasn't. :perplexed:

That's ok DITHOT.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “The Ginger Man”