Shane McGowan

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Shane McGowan

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:26 pm

From AOL: Shane McGowan was voted one of the most unsexiest men, Gilbert Gottfried being number 1.

Thanks to Charlene for passing on this info. This pic was blocked by my computer, but DITHOT was able to turn it into a jpeg for me. I think he'll fit in well as a character in The Ginger Man. What say you?

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:31 pm

Scary,scary scary :-P Johnny and Shane..Talk about the odd couple :grin: what a contrast they'll make on the screen
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:56 am

Well they obviously found the most unflattering picture possible, most of the time he looks fairly normal.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:20 am

That's a relief.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:54 am

I don't think Shane really cares about being voted unsexiest man alive. The 'alive' bit is most amazing, I think. Long may he remain amongst the living and amongst Johnny's mates!

One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:58 am

Oh and then there's this in reply to your question about Shane and The Ginger Man, liz.

One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:24 am

Is it my eyesight or does the man go around without any teeth in his mouth? How does he eat? Looks like what is there are just silver stubs or is that rot? Lordy Lordy, this is going to be some movie.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:11 am

Shane had an accident in which he lost what was left of his teeth. He never bothered to see a dentist and his diet mainly consists of alcoholic beverages. What you see in the picture are his gums with some rotten stubs. He has written some great poetry and his friends and colleagues appreciate his company and artistry in spite of his alcoholism, so there's much more to Shane than meets the eye.

monkeyeye

Unread postby monkeyeye » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:12 am

Those pics posted by Anna. Could that be Johnny's dressing room decked out like a Bedouin Tent (check the drapery). I assume this is from the DVD. Can't wait!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:49 am

monkeyeye wrote:Those pics posted by Anna. Could that be Johnny's dressing room decked out like a Bedouin Tent (check the drapery). I assume this is from the DVD. Can't wait!

they are from Shane's web site.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:17 am

Anna wrote:Shane had an accident in which he lost what was left of his teeth. He never bothered to see a dentist and his diet mainly consists of alcoholic beverages. What you see in the picture are his gums with some rotten stubs. He has written some great poetry and his friends and colleagues appreciate his company and artistry in spite of his alcoholism, so there's much more to Shane than meets the eye.

Thank you Liz for posting this thread. :thanks!: While I'll admit that this gave me quite a chuckle, in particular that Gilbert Gottfried came in first :rotflmao: ...If you're familiar with Gottfried the choice is pretty funny...*obvious, but funny*. However, in spite of all that, I know it's just not very cool to judge someone by appearance. I'm not familiar with Shane's work as an artist, but I am familiar with Johnny's and I've come to respect very much his choice of friends. Moreover, we are all multi-layered that what's so unique and cool about being human. I'm really looking forward to The Ginger Man, I think it's going to be quite a ride.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:57 am

I apologize if I offended anyone by posting this thread. I just thought it was interesting. I confess that I don’t know much about Shane. And I appreciate that you enlightened me a bit about him, Anna. And there is obviously something special about the guy or he wouldn’t be one of Johnny’s buddies. I’m very much looking forward to seeing him play the part of Behan.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:04 pm

I can't remember why but I did see something fairly recently about him and his on and off long term girlfriend, the name of whom I have forgotten, but I believe she was mentioned in the reports about the Ginger Man film. He does not drink as much as he used to in fact I think he has serious bouts of soberness, but I do think he is an odd choice of friend.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:19 pm

Oh liz, I'm not offended but I quite like McGowan as I did The Pogues so I feel a bit protective if he seems to be written off on his looks. If one wants to know a bit more about Shane, try to get hold of 'If I should fall from Grace', a heartwrenching documentary about Shane's decline but it also explains why people feel attracted to him as a friend, especially Johnny who seems to be fascinated by those who 'self-medicate' (NOTE Johnny is NOT in the film!)

Here's a review which mentions the teeth!

BTW, Shane's most famous song is A Fairytale of New York which is, as ONBC people will know, the title of a classic Donleavy novel.

http://www.greenmanreview.com/film/film_fallfromgrace.html

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:44 pm

Anna wrote: BTW, Shane's most famous song is A Fairytale of New York which is, as ONBC people will know, the title of a classic Donleavy novel.

Now that is very :interesting:

Thanks for the info, Anna.

Return to “The Ginger Man”