Shane McGowan

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:55 pm

I read his autobiography and he comes across as a passionate and intelligent man..also, quite psychic..What a survivor :cool: ..The book implies he doesn't drink as much as the press or others make out..Still a scary pic,though..As Charlene says,this is going to be some movie.. :bounce:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:30 pm

gilly, what is the name of the autobiography?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

deedee

Unread postby deedee » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:44 pm

Good eyes Monkeyeye..the pics were taken in Johnny's infamous Tent that he had made.The pics are from his time on Libertine.
Just an aside, but when I saw Libertine and the last days of the Earl, especially the House of Lords scene, the whole face and teeth appearance just hit me as if I were seeing Shane. Maybe the visit on set sparked something in Johnny....
"Those who do not like you fall into two catagories..the stupid and the envious."

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:26 am

DITHOT....It's called ''A Drink with SM'',written by Shane and Victoria Clarke...The way it's written is a bit annoying,but I found it fascinating,especially his childhood in Ireland and his family, full of bigger-than-life characters. :cool: ..http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802137903/103-7966524-1822257?v=glance&n=283155
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Charly

Unread postby Charly » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:06 am

Anna wrote:Shane had an accident in which he lost what was left of his teeth. He never bothered to see a dentist and his diet mainly consists of alcoholic beverages. What you see in the picture are his gums with some rotten stubs. He has written some great poetry and his friends and colleagues appreciate his company and artistry in spite of his alcoholism, so there's much more to Shane than meets the eye.

I was wondering what happened to his ( left ) teeth .

Totally agree with you Anna , he seems to be a bit weird ( lol , he probably is ;-) ) but he`s an interesting guy .

I have the DVD ( If I should Fall ... ) it`s fascinating to watch .

I love his music :love:

Sadly he doesn`t care about his health , I`m afraid he won`t get old .
"He's very intuitive. It's kind of contradictory because he's incredibly intelligent and smart, but he will react from his heart and not from his head." ~ Jim Jarmusch

RumLover

Unread postby RumLover » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:08 am

I watched "If I should fall from grace" on TV a couple of nights ago. (For Aussies, it is on regularly this month on World Movies channel.) The presenter beforehand compared it to a real life "Leaving Las Vegas"
Based on the film, I do not like Shane as a person. His girlfriend spoke of his imagination, enthusiasm and romantic idealism. These may be qualities that appeal to friends including Johnny.

The clips in the movie show he had teeth in his early bands but bad, crooked teeth. As they show later clips, his teeth just seem to rot away.

I watched the film because it was listed on IMDB as including Johnny. The Johnny part is a piece from "That Womans got me drinking" video.

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:41 am

deedee wrote:Good eyes Monkeyeye..the pics were taken in Johnny's infamous Tent that he had made.The pics are from his time on Libertine.
Just an aside, but when I saw Libertine and the last days of the Earl, especially the House of Lords scene, the whole face and teeth appearance just hit me as if I were seeing Shane. Maybe the visit on set sparked something in Johnny....

Shane didn't just visit the set, he acted in The Libertine. Unfortunately his part was edited from the film entirely. I do agree about Johnny using Shane in his portayal of the Earl towards the end of his life.
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:06 am

Great info! Thanks everyone! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:19 am

RumLover said:
As they show later clips, his teeth just seem to rot away.

Well, that could explain his need to "self-medicate". Good Grief, just one cavity/chip/something stuck between your teeth is enough to give most people pause and grab the dental floss, toothbrush and call the dentist, I can't imagine how much it must hurt to have a rotted mouth - his gums alone must give him pain.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:21 am

Charlene wrote:RumLover said:
As they show later clips, his teeth just seem to rot away.

Well, that could explain his need to "self-medicate". Good Grief, just one cavity/chip/something stuck between your teeth is enough to give most people pause and grab the dental floss, toothbrush and call the dentist, I can't imagine how much it must hurt to have a rotted mouth - his gums alone must give him pain.

He was probably too out of it to notice.

monkeyeye

Unread postby monkeyeye » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:56 am

they are from Shane's web site.[/quote]

Thanks Gilbert's Girl. If Monkeyeye's eyes had been sharper, she would have noticed Shane's web address on the pics. One thing Monkeyeye didn't miss is how fetching his Earlship looked, especially in that first pic.
~Will there be balloons?~

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:08 am

That is the most creepy picture but appearances can be deceiving. We've been talking about that in my literature class because we are reading Macbeth. There is a huge discretion between appearance and reality but that's in all Shakespeare plays especially the tragedies.JD wouldn't be friends with him if he wasn't an artist of some sort because JD has an artsy side too. He feeds off of that kind of energy which I'm sure inspired his performance in TL which I still haven't seen. :bawl:

SamIam
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Brooke

Unread postby Brooke » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:41 am

I didn't even know who Shane McGowan was until I just read through this thread. I've heard the name before but didn't ever know anything else about him. Now I'm very interested in reading, seeing, and hearing more. I'm going to have to see if the library has anything about him. Hopefully some of his music too. I just sampled some on iTunes and it sounds like something I would like. I think you ladies are enlightening me every day!
Farts will always be funny. ;)

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:43 am

SamIam wrote:That is the most creepy picture but appearances can be deceiving. We've been talking about that in my literature class because we are reading Macbeth. There is a huge discretion between appearance and reality but that's in all Shakespeare plays especially the tragedies.JD wouldn't be friends with him if he wasn't an artist of some sort because JD has an artsy side too. He feeds off of that kind of energy which I'm sure inspired his performance in TL which I still haven't seen. :bawl:

SamIam

Make sure to keep Shakespeare's tragedies in mind once you get to see The Libertine!
You put your finger right on it, SamIam; Shane's energy is what makes him attractive as a human being to have around. Charisma!

Hmmm, interesting thread this...
:cool:
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:47 am

It's easy to judge a book by its cover and harder to see beneath to what must be a very ineresting person!

Brooke, good to see you in the discussion. :wave:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Ginger Man”