The Ginger Man Question #15 ~ A Bundle of Contradictions

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:59 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:What you are saying stroch is that his outward appearance is of no importance to him because what is taking place in his own mind is infinitely more interesting than what is taking place around him...(Sorry! Your post just reminded me of that quote from TL.) Although in Sebastian's mind he isn't necessarily trying to connect the inner and the outer persona.

Perfect, DITHOT.

I think that Sebastian was afraid of success and becoming like his father, as much as failure. His father is like the 800-pound elephant in the corner that he never acknowledges... Yet he put thousands of miles between himself and a dying man to make that point. His reaction to his father’s death was the reaction of someone emotionally betrayed who had grieved over the loss of that person a long time ago.

His father gave him a “good” life in terms of material wealth but left him so emotionally needy, he eventually lost his moral compass.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:11 pm

He's full of contradictions...between what he does to people and the insights he has of them..Some of these musings are really revealing,showing that there is another person under the ratbag behaviour.I think you're right Liz.He basically doesn't give a stuff about anyone,except himself..He's totally self-centred and self-seeking...I'm reading this book a second time now and I find it so much funnier the second time around..I find Sebastian quite hilarious ....
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “The Ginger Man”